Not so short Beef Short Ribs

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I want to thank Ryan P.K. for selecting Beef Short Ribs for the last throwdown. I had never done anything with them and didn't realize that it was possible to get a beef rib with that much meat on it. I did a first, mini-trial last weekend with a tiny pack of small, individually cut riblets. I liked the result so went back to the butcher and got him to sell me a full, uncut slab. I coated them with the leftover Tuscan herb rub and added salt & pepper Friday night. I added some Texas BBQ Rub on Saturday, shortly before putting them on the smoker. It was a simple cook, 225F on the 22.5 wsm. I took out the water pan and put the ribs on GrillGrates on the top rack. I didn't wrap or spritz.

I opened the lid at 3 hours to get a peak:
8F8A8FDB-A7FD-4D61-98A1-51304C800FA6.jpg

And didn't open the lid again, until the ribs hit 190F and it was time to start checking for tenderness. They hit 190 at around 5 hours but were not tender. I checked again in about 20 minutes. The thin half was tender but the thick half was not, so I cut it in half, took off the two tender ribs and put the other two back on. The next two were ready about 35 minutes later.

Here are the first two right after taking them off:
D4B25B15-3295-4DE4-B02C-9B128ADB332B.jpg

And the plate, with broccoli slaw salad and bread:
77F0CFCF-CC9B-4308-B791-96E6BEC2AC76.jpg

I'll be doing BSR's again! I loved the steak on a stick feel of it. For portion control when serving to friends, I think I'll get the butcher to cut them in half so that they will be slabs of 3" bones instead of 6" bones. I'm looking forward to experimenting with these more.

Oh man those ribs look KILLER!!! I have yet to try them, can't wait to finally cross that one off the list.

Back