Not many will understand this one

I thought the Bullitt Mustang was a 68 390.
Would have to go back and watch the scene again but quite sure it was the GT350 which had a nicely tuned 289. Like the Chevy small block a pretty potent little V8. But no match for the 440 Magnum V8. Having driven a lot of 440s in HUGE cars, those things were scary powerful. Right about where the little 289 is running out of steam the 440 will be just "coming on" stronger. I took a police interceptor 440 out to do a test drive on it. It was a 69 Fury with the special 440. The police 440 was insane. Yeah it pulled you back in the seat and when the speedo would cross 90 it would absolutely pin you back and pull insanely harder. Anyway the GT350 was a HO 289 and honestly in a race? I'd take a 289 over the 390 any day. The 390 was basically a truck engine. Not a speed engine. Too heavy for the stang

TBH I thought it was a 428 in a 68 mustang GT. I had to look it up.

A dull green 1968 Ford Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the movie “Bullitt” just became the most valuable Ford Mustang ever sold at auction. It went for $3.7 million, including auction fees, at the annual Mecum collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida.

"Generally speaking, a 1968 Ford Mustang GT with a 390 cubic-inch V8 engine would be worth about $70,000 in good condition, according to the Hagerty Price Guide for collectible cars."

I mostly enjoy the sensation of watching movies and little about details but it makes sense to me that others would feel much differently, especially you folks who have knowledge of and interest in cars and their specs. This is according to Wiki:

1677604579937.png

Ahh so it was just a GT not a GT350. Then yeah the 390 would have been the "engine du jour" It's been a long time since I saw the film or even watched the chase scene. so the detail of which GT it was escaped me.

Yea, I thought that the Bullet Mustangs were 390 4 Barrel high output engines. 335 Horse power in stock form. Reworked by a good machine shop they could be made to run with any of the bigger big blocks. Their main problem was oiling at the crank shaft. Rodders knew how to solve that problem. As far as McQueen he loved the 68 fast back, but he hated the ugly steering wheel in 68. They changed the steering wheel because the neat steering wheels would break off & go into your stomach in a hard wreck. So, Steve McQueen had a 68 fast back 390 V8 & 67 Steering wheel. 410 gears I'm guessing.
Oh for the record my first car was a 68 Mustang fast back. 302 V8 4 speed manual. A great car that I absolutely drove the wheels off of. Block to block street light racing, didn't matter. Yes, I did have tickets, even speed contest. When the law caught me blowing away a 350 Chevy Nova on the streets in Longmont Colo.
And for you Chrysler guys check out the movie Vanishing Point. They went through 5 Dodge Chargers making this movie about a guy driving from Denver to San Fran in 2 days. Wouldn't have wanted to own any of them in the end. Barry Newman was the driver. Chrysler was very upset when the movie was over because he was doing drugs in their cars back in the day giving their company a bad name. Heck I think the movie sold them more cars than they would know.

Say what dude? You need to bring up a movie called Bullet, supposedly the greatest car chase scene ever filmed.
Steve McQueen cool in the Mustang. Two rednecks in a Charger. Well, all I can say is that he took care of those old boys.
BTW Ford Mustang started production in 1964, still in production today 2023.
Now how many years did the Dodge Valant last, not long who cares.
Oh if you like slow boring cars Ford also made a straight 6 cylinder Mustang too.
🥱

It’s Bullitt🙄

That oh-so-great 390 Mustang had to be MODDED to even run with that bone stock 440 Charger, literally stock, fresh off the lot. The 390 was completely built, milled heads, intake/carb, cam, 4.10 rear, new trans, custom exhaust, beefed suspension, etc. They knew a Mustang couldn’t run with a Charger.

Sit down. You lost.

Bullitt was a GT, not a GT350. 390 4 speed car.

The ‘68 Charger is an RT, base engine for RT was 440. Option was Hemi.

And I actually love the Bullitt Mustang, for those wondering. Was nearly tempted to buy the ‘19 re-release Bullitt Mustang. But no, I can’t buy a new Ford🤣

Thanks for beating me to the spelling error Tim!
Another small point those guys were NOT rednecks, they were “connected” hit men! Sheesh, time to watch it all over again.
I hated Robert Vaughn for years after I saw that movie! The airport chase is another very “dated” scene too, smoking, carrying guns, people running Willy nilly through the place! Those were the days!

Thanks for beating me to the spelling error Tim!
Another small point those guys were NOT rednecks, they were “connected” hit men! Sheesh, time to watch it all over again.
I hated Robert Vaughn for years after I saw that movie! The airport chase is another very “dated” scene too, smoking, carrying guns, people running Willy nilly through the place! Those were the days!
Ahhh fun times :D

Bullitt_082Pyxurz.jpg

If you wear a suit and a tie you might not be a redneck.

IIRC the original Vanishing Point used a Challenger not a Charger
Okay, same difference to me. Never really cared for neither one. They had good powerful engines, but the interior were 3rd world compared to Ford & government motors. Just a fact.
Bullitt_082Pyxurz.jpg

If you wear a suit and a tie you might not be a redneck.
Fact is you dress like that back in the day hit men or not their flipping red necks.

🥱

It’s Bullitt🙄

That oh-so-great 390 Mustang had to be MODDED to even run with that bone stock 440 Charger, literally stock, fresh off the lot. The 390 was completely built, milled heads, intake/carb, cam, 4.10 rear, new trans, custom exhaust, beefed suspension, etc. They knew a Mustang couldn’t run with a Charger.

Sit down. You lost.
Actually the 390 was a great mid size engines Mustangs, Galaxy 500, Torino's. It was hardly Fords top engine. I believe Mustangs had 427, 428 Super Cobra Jet & a 429 Boss Hemi. They had a line up of big blocks to handle any 440 Nopars. I'll set the record straight here; In the Muscle car era Ford built the biggest big block monster on the planet at that time. Most people have not heard of this motor. How bout a 427 cami over head cam engine unheard of back in the day. 660 horsepower with 2 4 barrels stock from the factory. To put this engine on the street Ford had to sell so many in police interceptor cars then the engine could be run on the street or Nascar. Well, Uncle Sam steps in & would not allow Ford to put that monster on the street. I can only imagine what the rodders would have done with that 427 cami. This engine would have spanked anything out there. Lucky for the lesser brands because they had nothing to counter act it. This is a fact you can look it up. Several of the engines were manufactured before the government shut it down & found their way into many Mustangs today.
For the record Ford has a new 440 cubic inch Godzilla gas engine out & people are stuffing them into old & new Mustangs. The Mustang was also just voted #1 sport selling car in America, over the vet & all others. At least to the Peyton Manning show.
Well enough history for today, Remember FORD rules!

Well GM dropped the Camaro, the Vet is WAY over the price of a stang what does that leave for sprt coupes with V8 engines? So by default the stang wins. And truthfully the vet is really not sold to compete to the "pony cars" Also Mopar has indicated the Charger/Challenger will go away this year.

88c3Bch.jpg

The car McQueen would have drove if the movie was made one year later.
This car looks so flipping Kool.
I owned a Boss 302 a few years back, but never had the pleasure to own the 429 Hemi.
I have now a 2008 Jack Roush Mustang with a super charged V8, 10,000 miles it doesn't go far.

Actually the 390 was a great mid size engines Mustangs, Galaxy 500, Torino's. It was hardly Fords top engine. I believe Mustangs had 427, 428 Super Cobra Jet & a 429 Boss Hemi. They had a line up of big blocks to handle any 440 Nopars. I'll set the record straight here; In the Muscle car era Ford built the biggest big block monster on the planet at that time. Most people have not heard of this motor. How bout a 427 cami over head cam engine unheard of back in the day. 660 horsepower with 2 4 barrels stock from the factory. To put this engine on the street Ford had to sell so many in police interceptor cars then the engine could be run on the street or Nascar. Well, Uncle Sam steps in & would not allow Ford to put that monster on the street. I can only imagine what the rodders would have done with that 427 cami. This engine would have spanked anything out there. Lucky for the lesser brands because they had nothing to counter act it. This is a fact you can look it up. Several of the engines were manufactured before the government shut it down & found their way into many Mustangs today.
For the record Ford has a new 440 cubic inch Godzilla gas engine out & people are stuffing them into old & new Mustangs. The Mustang was also just voted #1 sport selling car in America, over the vet & all others. At least to the Peyton Manning show.
Well enough history for today, Remember FORD rules!
Wait. You ACTUALLY think the other two didn’t also have experimental engines??🤣🤣 The A279 Ball Stud Hemi, A925 DOHC Hemi, Chrysler dominated engine development. That’s a fact guy.

And no. Fords wouldn’t run with Mopars. Heck, Fords don’t even make the list in the FAST series🤣 There is one, ONE ford, in the top 20 times list! A ‘69 Super Cobra Jet Mustang. The rest are a mix of Mopars and Camaros/Corvettes.

Ford guys always have been a different breed. Every one of them lives in their own self aggrandizing world of alternate reality. I guess when you suck keister for so long and fail to compete as an OE it naturally trickles down to the end user🤷🏻‍♂️ Very strange indeed.

Oh, PS. Ford is so great they dropped their entire line of sedans (Dodge Charger sells well) and Challenger outsells Mustang. I believe that’s two years in a row. Another fact for your morning brew ☕

Back