Nor Cal atmospheric river

Looks like there is a break coming to Sonoma county. Big blast of rain just went through and according to the weatherman we should get showers thru Monday then clear. Finally….

I openly acknowledge that California really needed rain but gee whiz…..

I will miss watching newscasters out in the wind and rain trying to give reports while staying alive…..
We just had a massive squall. Like sheets of rain.

Idk about long term quiet in the weather front. Still some massive system coming our way. And February and March are usually our wettest months.

1673722098422.png

Wah wah wah .... We don't have any water
Wah wah wah... Everything's on fire
Wah wah way ... We got too much water

Okay don't take it the wrong way I'm being facetious... I'm just pointing out that people are ill prepared for known weather extremes where they choose to live... Even though it happens on a regular basis. And that's true just about everywhere not just California...

I'm watching the Sierra snowpack..... It's hard to plan hiking trips if snow dont melt until august. It's a bit too early to tell..... But in the southern Sierra the snowpack is the highest it's been in 50 years of record keeping on this date. At this point even if there's no more snow it's going to be an above average year because it won't melt off before April 1st, the normal peak snowdepth.. Already at 125% of the April 1st average. With more storms on the way. If I had to wager I'd say this is going to be one of the best snow pack years for sierra in the last 50 years. There's an outside chance it could even top the 82/83 record. Even if you get no more snow it's going to be a damned good one. Im excited for CA..... Might be a low fire year.

Last edited:
Wah wah wah .... We don't have any water
Wah wah wah... Everything's on fire
Wah wah way ... We got too much water

Okay don't take it the wrong way I'm being facetious... I'm just pointing out that people are ill prepared for known weather extremes where they choose to live... Even though it happens on a regular basis. And that's true just about everywhere not just California...

I'm watching the Sierra snowpack..... It's hard to plan hiking trips if snow dont melt until august. It's a bit too early to tell..... But in the southern Sierra the snowpack is the highest it's been in 50 years of record keeping on this date. At this point even if there's no more snow it's going to be an above average year because it won't melt off before April 1st, the normal peak snowdepth.. Already at 125% of the April 1st average. With more storms on the way. If I had to wager I'd say this is going to be one of the best snow pack years for sierra in the last 50 years. There's an outside chance it could even top the 82/83 record. Even if you get no more snow it's going to be a damned good one. Im excited for CA..... Might be a low fire year.
It’s always been feast or famine in CA. I think current snowpack is 200% of normal for this time of year.

I’m guessing the pack will get us into July/Aug at this pace. Your hike will depend on elevation and where you choose to hike.

And hopefully this helps the Colorado River. Lake Mead in Vegas is in dire need of refilling.

It’s always been feast or famine in CA. I think current snowpack is 200% of normal for this time of year.

I’m guessing the pack will get us into July/Aug at this pace. Your hike will depend on elevation and where you choose to hike.

And hopefully this helps the Colorado River. Lake Mead in Vegas is in dire need of refilling.
Most of California's at 100% of the April 1st number already and a southern Sierra which is my area of interest this year...SEKI..is 126%. Yeah, in the South looks to be more than twice the current average for this date. However that average doesn't really exist it's actually all over the place. One thing is for sure, it's a lot of snow..... And this isn't just early storm in December ,this is a pattern and patterns tend to persist a bit. A couple more good storms and this will be an exceptional good snow year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-100523.png
    Screenshot_20230115-100523.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 4
Actually today it's 138% of April 1st in the southern sierra. Here's the fun chart that compares everything back to 1977 showing how much greater this is for this date already then any previous data. Seems highly likely this will end up being one of the top several snow years on record

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-114623.png
    Screenshot_20230115-114623.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230115-115244.png
    Screenshot_20230115-115244.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Actually today it's 138% of April 1st in the southern sierra. Here's the fun chart that compares everything back to 1977 showing how much greater this is for this date already then any previous data. Seems highly likely this will end up being one of the top several snow years on record
As long as we don't get too much rain at 7000 ft we should have a good snowpack.

Most of California's at 100% of the April 1st number already and a southern Sierra which is my area of interest this year...SEKI..is 126%. Yeah, in the South looks to be more than twice the current average for this date. However that average doesn't really exist it's actually all over the place. One thing is for sure, it's a lot of snow..... And this isn't just early storm in December ,this is a pattern and patterns tend to persist a bit. A couple more good storms and this will be an exceptional good snow year
The southern Sierras are my interest also. Have been for a while. Specifically the Kern Plateau.
What specific area is of interest to you, Martin ?

The southern Sierras are my interest also. Have been for a while. Specifically the Kern Plateau.
What specific area is of interest to you, Martin ?
Oh I was going to go tramp around in SEKI in late July -early aug but it just doesn't seem like it's going to be a good time this year. We're now 292% of avg snowpack for this date in southern Sierra.... That's almost three times average..... It's a 98th percentile year now..so far.. And the snow still falling. It's getting interesting to watch for sure... But I think I might be looking at mid-august if I don't want to bring crampons. I did cross the Forester pass ice/snow chute once just by kicking deep solid footholds for every step, but it was a bit dicey..... But fortunately short. Ther may be high water crossings and lots of mosquitoes too possibly until later in aug

Last edited:
Much more adventuresome than I. Even August might be interesting.
My backpacking days are just a distant memory. Proposed to my wife on one almost 50 years ago.

For those following along, current snowpack conditions report here:

1674074015257.png

My backpacking days are just a distant memory. Proposed to my wife on one almost 50 years ago.
I need my me time for sanity. Fortunately my wife doesn't mind if I leave for a few weeks and go do things like that without her she has no interest in it. I've got a lot more vacation than her...I've spent so much time working out of town in the last 25 years that she's used to me being away for months at a time. Plus she's got family nearby that can help out if she need something when I'm gone. She's more of the cruise ship type.

Honestly, constantly planning trips to go do something is what keeps life interesting to me, doesn't matter what it is. I know people that never go anywhere or do anything and I don't know how they make it through life just going to work everyday with nothing to look forward to. When they're not at work, on vacation...they just stay home.. or play golf..

Last edited:
Honestly, constantly planning trips to go do something is what keeps life interesting to me, doesn't matter what it is. I know people that never go anywhere or do anything and I don't know how they make it through life just going to work everyday with nothing to look forward to. When they're not at work, on vacation...they just stay home.. or play golf..
^^^^^ this ^^^^^^ Y E S !!!!!!

Just some views from my deck this AM about 0715. Note I drew a circle on one photo. If it were clear it would be obvious there is a highway there (I39/90/20 extension) and there were cars and trucks there. You could hear them not see them. One thing I love about the weather phenomenon though is it's so much quieter. It's like the fog dampens the sound from the Interstate extension. I would estimate the highway is about 1000' maybe 1200' from where I was standing.
20230119_071521.jpg20230119_071528-2.jpg20230119_071537.jpg

Back