Nor Cal atmospheric river

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Well, while y’all are grilling, we’re flooding. Yes, we need this rain but it’s on the insane level today.

Since midnight my neighborhood has received 1.75” of rain.

That’s on top the of two inches earlier this week. So now we’re in flood advisory levels with lower flat lands now flooding.

1672530119708.png

We’ll top 7 inches for December by tonight.

1672530259075.png

Local evacuations in Cameron Park by the air park.

Several small creeks are flooding. Thankfully I'm on high ground.

20221231_162317.jpg

There's a weather joke about how many inches you're gonna get and how long it will last, but I ain't sayin' it. I sure hope everybody makes out ok during these extreme weather events...we can sure use the rain in our great state, just not all at once.

At peak inflow today, Folsom Lake was inflowing water at 135,xxx cfs. That cubic feet per second.

This report is a 12 day look back to as of this post for lake elevation, inflows and outflows. The lake rose 40’ in the past 250 hours.

Last edited:
At peak inflow today, Folsom Lake was inflowing water at 135,xxx cfs. That cubic feet per second.

This report is a 10 day look back to as of this post for lake elevation, inflows and outflows. The lake rose 40’ in the past 250 hours.

That's a good thing, right? California needs that water. I'm sure you're not in any danger of being flooded out, are you?

How much is that in terms of Cats & Dogs, a much more common unit of measurement? Or Cows & Flat Rocks?

Nature is a Mother, ain't it? What are you gonna do. Like Morton said, when it rains, it pours.

Morton salt - When it Rains It Pours.jpg

February 1986.

Round 3: Final storm makes big impact

The final storm began Feb. 17 and lasted through Feb. 20.

The rain totals exceeded the two previous storms. Sacramento got 5.13 inches (including 3.21 inches on Feb. 18, setting a record), and Blue Canyon had 18.49 inches.

The 18.49 inches of rain Blue Canyon saw in just one storm is nearly the season average for Sacramento. Inflows to Folsom Lake were estimated at 250,000 cfs -- dam operators could only release 130,000 cfs.

In my 30+ years living in CA, never has the electrical power company (SMUD) called the night before a storm to advise about possible outages and storm readiness.

At least we have multiple vinegars to choose from, a few cans of cranberry sauce, canned corn, tuna, salmon and sardines to live on should the power go out.

I spent all day yesterday on calls with clients regarding storm damages to their homes and property. Looks like its all about to get worse.

You didn't mention drinking water, Brett. Hopefully, the water supply won't be impacted, but who knows?

You didn't mention drinking water, Brett. Hopefully, the water supply won't be impacted, but who knows?
Good point. We have lots of fluids on hand. I'll head your advice and buy cases of water on my way home today. Funny thing is our city water comes from Folsom Lake directly. It's really high quality water with lots of natural minerals as it comes does the Sierra foothills and across granite and rocks. It helps make great pizza water too (that's a New York City joke).

Last edited:
The problem might be that the store shelves are cleared out. Maybe you could fill a bathtub? Also, if you have a hot water heater, that's a ready source of 30 gallons or more.

Back