Non Traditional Pork Butt Experiment

Rick Body

TVWBB Pro
I was going to get up and smoke a 5 lb butt yesterday, but due to circumstances within my control (late night poker playing) I did not get up in time

So I decided to try something different

Here is what I started with, we've all seen these before

I decided to quarter it up and try 4 different ways, also shortening the cook time.

My plan was to inject 2 of them. When I went to dig my injector out, it was cracked (glass) and not functioning. There's a few dollars down the drain. What to do, what to do..... I got this. I am a medic and had a saline syringe so I flushed it out and put the injector needle on it.
The first quarter I injected with this hot sauce (we do this with fried turkeys)

The second quarter I injected with Italian dressing. I do this with chicken and pork chops a lot, usually marinating them in it

The third quarter I rubbed with this first

The last one I didn't do anything out of the normal. All four quarters got my normal rub. I would have tried some different rubs but was short on time. Here they are going on the WSM

Even though they were only about 1.25 lbs each, they took longer to cook then what I thought. I cooked them around 230, whereas I usually do 275, so there was the difference. The piece with the bone in took 4 hours. I am using a thermoworks and a thermapen so I know temps were right. Anyway....

Sorry no finished pics but out of the 4, the one with the hot sauce had the best flavor and a little kick. Next was the one with the Italian dressing. It had really good flavor as well

The next two were about the same. You couldn't tell there was chipotle mayonnaise on it, which I expected, although this trick works on fried deer meat and fish.

So all in all I think it was a pretty good experiment. Next time I will try with a boneless butt and try different rubs as well as injections.

On a side not, I tried this on some pork sandwiches and it was very good

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I like to experiment also. Sometimes an unexpected flavor will come of it that will blow your mind. :)

Next time you're short of time, try kicking the heat up to 300. Some consider it blasphemy to cross that threshold, but I get a nice bark, the fat renders out very well, and I'm done with an 8-pounder in 6 or 7 hours.

Great experiment Rick!

I've boned butts out, cut them in chunks, and cooked them on my kettle.
They come out a little drier than whole, but lots of tasty bark.
On the kettle, or WSM, I start butts low for the smoke (that's about 250 for me) then after a couple of hours kick it up to 275-300.

IMGP1060.JPG

Last edited:
Very interesting post Rick. We also like the Weber sauces, not quite as good as the Stubbs sauces but better than most.

Thanks all. It was definitely worth the experiment. They didn't come out dry but I wrapped all of them when I pulled them off for at least an hour (which helped darken them up too, but softened the bark).

I will probably do the hot sauce and the Italian dressing one again because they really seemed to have some good flavor.

Looks Good Rick. Which one did you like best and why?

Regards,

John

It was close with the hot sauce and the Italian dressing. The hot sauce had a nice kick that some people might not like in their BBQ, and the Italian dressing just gave the butt a nice flavor without overpowering it. If I was to make one for myself, I would do the hot sauce, but if I cook for other people I will do the Italian dressing with my normal rub

Back