Nobody Using Q Grills?

I was happy to see that the new Q still fits on the earlier cart. I am not too interested in the new carts that appear to have a lot of painted steel.

If that was near me I would gladly pay thst bargain price. Overall, I think it will be a couple of years before the new Qs start showing up for resale on a more regular basis.
Thank you for the input Jon! Do you have any experience with this model.

I also agree about the carts. I like this cart and the wheels on it better than the new ones.

Josh, I would consider your original thoughts of $100. But, even at $150 I think it is a good deal. Especially if you want it for personal use. But if not, I am sure you could put an hour into cleaning that up and be able to get $200 plus out of it.

Josh, I would consider your original thoughts of $100. But, even at $150 I think it is a good deal. Especially if you want it for personal use. But if not, I am sure you could put an hour into cleaning that up and be able to get $200 plus out of it.
If I get it it will be to keep unless I just don't like it.

I wish there was a quality SS grate option for these

If I get it it will be to keep unless I just don't like it.

I wish there was a quality SS grate option for these
You may be surprised at how well the cast iron works. I've had both and found both to work really well. The q in general is a fantastic cooker for small or quick meals. Heats up real fast and uses hardly any fuel

I used to be a fan of cast iron but after all the grills over the years and probably a couple dozen or more rehabs I don't like to use them on any of my personal grills anymore. I see how they degrade and flake off over time and I don't want to risk that getting in my fam's food.

When they're brand new they're fine but I wouldn't want to keep using cast iron for long-term

The hard part with Q style grills is Weber designed them to work properly and be most efficient with the CI grate. The only sub that works even remotely close is the thick laser cut SS ones Bruce and I found and bought. But, even those don't work as well as the CI ones. Not because they're not high quality but they don't shield the burner as well, and cook more akin to a griddle than a grate. And they don't protect the burner(s) as well

The hard part with Q style grills is Weber designed them to work properly and be most efficient with the CI grate. The only sub that works even remotely close is the thick laser cut SS ones Bruce and I found and bought. But, even those don't work as well as the CI ones. Not because they're not high quality but they don't shield the burner as well, and cook more akin to a griddle than a grate. And they don't protect the burner(s) as well
Yeah I looked online for SS and I only found some cheap Stan broil or something like that

Maybe I could have Dave make a set with heat shields on the bottom

Hm. Perhaps I’m alone in this but I love the stock cast iron grates. I’m fairly careful not to bang them up when handling them. The one on my smaller 1200 has been on there for years and still look great with no chipping.
If it does chip, I’ll just get replacements from Weber. They cook great and hold heat really well.

Thank you Pablo!
I don't know anything about this specific model but did a little reading on it and it looks to be a special model with some cool features. What are some of your favorite things about yours?

I currently have 15 gas Webers but nothing this small and never owned a Q series Weber. Closes thing I have is a 2 burner Genesis ii LX 240 which I like a lot. It has high + Sear burners and it looks like this Q has a sear burner so I like that. Looks like it goes up to 700 F°
The two burners give it a lot of versatility. I haven’t had it long enough to play and experiment with it yet (just got it last week). But the few cooks I did, it did well. Got up to temp really quick. With both burners, it got to 700 no issues.
In the coming weeks, I’ll try some pizza (just got a 15x12 stone), ribs, and pork butt.
I think this is a great grill for family + ext family/friend outings. Lots of cooking space while still being fairly portable.

I also like that it comes stock with propane tank hook up, instead of the tiny green canisters. On the Q1200, the regulator went out and I replaced the entire thing with a regular propane tank set up. I have a small 5lb propane tank for camping so it works out a lot better and cheaper than getting those green canisters.

Hm. Perhaps I’m alone in this but I love the stock cast iron grates. I’m fairly careful not to bang them up when handling them. The one on my smaller 1200 has been on there for years and still look great with no chipping.
If it does chip, I’ll just get replacements from Weber. They cook great and hold heat really well.
Oh no I don't think you're alone. I know others that prefer them over SS

The two burners give it a lot of versatility. I haven’t had it long enough to play and experiment with it yet (just got it last week). But the few cooks I did, it did well. Got up to temp really quick. With both burners, it got to 700 no issues.
In the coming weeks, I’ll try some pizza (just got a 15x12 stone), ribs, and pork butt.
I think this is a great grill for family + ext family/friend outings. Lots of cooking space while still being fairly portable.

I also like that it comes stock with propane tank hook up, instead of the tiny green canisters. On the Q1200, the regulator went out and I replaced the entire thing with a regular propane tank set up. I have a small 5lb propane tank for camping so it works out a lot better and cheaper than getting those green canisters.
Very cool! Thank you for sharing

I used to be a fan of cast iron but after all the grills over the years and probably a couple dozen or more rehabs I don't like to use them on any of my personal grills anymore. I see how they degrade and flake off over time and I don't want to risk that getting in my fam's food.

When they're brand new they're fine but I wouldn't want to keep using cast iron for long-term
What you are describing is so sadly true about most cast iron which is coated with porcelain. The worst were the Weber grates with the shiny black coating used on both Genesis and Q grills. Looked awesome for a few cooks, but no matter how careful you were, sooner or later the expansion and contraction resulted in the porcelain cracking and flaking off. This is pretty much the same issue that Summit fireboxes in generations 1 - 3 had.

However, way back when, Weber did offer real, raw cast iron for the Genesis. Nothing to flake off, but it is also true that it requires regular seasoning and can't be left out all winter in a cold, wet environment.

You can tell if you find one of these old Weber grates by the Patent# on the back:

Weber Uncoated Cast Iron with Patent.jpeg

Cast Iron Restoration.jpeg
Cast Iron Restored in Skyline Grill.jpeg

I admit to having a great affection for cooking on cast iron, even though I probably use stainless rods (or dare I say, GrillGrates) more often.

Back