Nobody Using Q Grills?

Except a Q electric is actually thermostatically controlled because it's only a "all on or all off" type thing. The controller bases how many on/off cycles based on sensed temperature. It's not like say a "rheostat" that would control how much heat is actually produced by reducing power draw i.e. as in turning down or up a gas valve. Yeah kinda a picky point but one which needs making.

Yep, that's why I wanted an older model. I was looking for a Q220, but couldn't find anything within 100 miles. As you've mentioned, the 220/2200 is probably the best compromise for 2-4 people and portability. Although, I have to say, this little Q100 hit 500+ F within ~8 minutes.

For monitoring temperature, I use a probe which clips to the grate with a unit which displays surface temp, alerts at target temp, timer, etc.

IMG_4390.JPGIMG_4393.JPG

Except a Q electric is actually thermostatically controlled because it's only a "all on or all off" type thing. The controller bases how many on/off cycles based on sensed temperature. It's not like say a "rheostat" that would control how much heat is actually produced by reducing power draw i.e. as in turning down or up a gas valve. Yeah kinda a picky point but one which needs making.
That, I did not realize Larry.

Yep, that's why I wanted an older model. I was looking for a Q220, but couldn't find anything within 100 miles. As you've mentioned, the 220/2200 is probably the best compromise for 2-4 people and portability. Although, I have to say, this little Q100 hit 500+ F within ~8 minutes.

For monitoring temperature, I use a probe which clips to the grate with a unit which displays surface temp, alerts at target temp, timer, etc.

View attachment 97341View attachment 97342
If you go with a Q2xx, be prepared for a little longer heatup time and lower max temp than a Q100. Mine (Q220) effectively maxes out at about 450 as read by the lid thermometer and takes a while to get there. It might reach 500, but that would be on a 90 degree day with little breeze. But, I do not feel this as a limiting factor for me.

Which would be the correct thermometer to add to a Q1000? I saw a few YT videos but I'd rather ask the guys here. Or, is there another solution where I can use a wired probe to lay inside that connects to a gauge to get a temp reading? Not afraid to drill a hole in the lid but I'd rather hear from someone here on VWBB rather than on YT!

Thanks guys!

I’ve said it a million times, I love my Q-320 and use it almost every time we Q. Its killer for veggies.
I’ll be giving mine away for free with a brand new igniter next summer.
I picked up a new Q-3200 to break out when the house is finished and we move home.

Which would be the correct thermometer to add to a Q1000? I saw a few YT videos but I'd rather ask the guys here. Or, is there another solution where I can use a wired probe to lay inside that connects to a gauge to get a temp reading? Not afraid to drill a hole in the lid but I'd rather hear from someone here on VWBB rather than on YT!

Thanks guys!
I bought one at walmart. I think it was Charbroil brand. Yah, I know, but it worked fine.

Or

One thing I am finding about the Q320 I have is the handle is badly designed. It gets rippin hot and they made it too close to the body of the grill

I bought one at walmart. I think it was Charbroil brand. Yah, I know, but it worked fine.

Or

Thanks Bruce! I hope it's OK that I created a standalone thread in this forum to ask. I was afraid my question in this thread would get lost. At least one of you found it!

Or

I was just going to ask about the Amazon one. I'll order it and see if I can't delete the other thread. Nice and short probe.

One thing I am finding about the Q320 I have is the handle is badly designed. It gets rippin hot and they made it too close to the body of the grill

If you're talking about the handle for the lid, does it have ceramic spacers/stand-offs installed between the plastic handle and the aluminum lid?

I've noticed some handles/lids are missing those ceramic spacers, or the previous owner installed them on the inside of the lid, which is incorrect.

If you're talking about the handle for the lid, does it have ceramic spacers/stand-offs installed between the plastic handle and the aluminum lid?

I've noticed some handles/lids are missing those ceramic spacers, or the previous owner installed them on the inside of the lid, which is incorrect.
They're in there. It's just badly designed IMO. Even with the spacers it's too close to the lid.

They're in there. It's just badly designed IMO. Even with the spacers it's too close to the lid.

Got it. I can see how that could happen on the 3xxx series. More thermal mass, more vertical surface next to the handle, and 22,000 BTU input.

Personally, I do not use gloves/mitts while grilling, so it makes me wonder if Weber did any end-consumer testing/feedback on the 3xxx model.

I have never had to use hand protection while grilling on anything until the Q3XX. And I've had 2 of them. One of which I gave away after refurbing. Both cases very HOT handle on a longer grilling session at anything over the lowest of heat setting

At one time or another, I have had all three sizes of the Q. My first one was a Q200. No thermometer and low hood, but it was a great cooker. I agree with @Bruce that it won't get as hot as the 100/1000 series or certainly as hot as the 300/3200 Qs, but hot enough to do the job.

AFTER Grilling Burgers.JPG

That Q was given to my younger son and daughter-in-law as sort of a wedding/housewarming present.

I also had the newer version Q3200. I really liked its style and the 2-burner setup.

IMG_5176.JPEG

It did take some getting used to, though, after cooking with the 200. I sold that Q for various reasons and miss it sometimes. Lately @Bruce and others have been showing big Qs they have seen and even gotten cheap. I am trying very hard to thin down my grill insanity, but if one of those deals was close enough to me, it would be very hard to say "No."

I also had a Q100 that had to serve as a "daily driver" when we first moved from Florida. It was a plenty hot cooker and turned out very fine food. If my wife and I were to go crazy and sell out to go on the road in an RV, I would want one of these. I just gave my Q100 to my sister as a gift. She was struggling with a Charbroil electric grill that couldn't pump out any heat. I know she will like this one a lot better.

Weber Q Steak.jpeg

So, I have NO gas Qs, even unassembled ones, now. I do at least still have the odd-duck Q design, the CharQ. I have been working on finishing a customization of it, and I will post about that someday hopefully soon!

I've been using my Q1000 now for about a week, most nights. Adding a thermometer was a great help but I sure miss having side tables. At some point I might pass the 1000 along and get the 1200. I get the thermometer, taller lid, and side tables. Having a larger Weber for when there's more than one or two of us, the Q is plenty big with the 189 sq. in. cooking surface. I'm not in love with cleaning the cooking grates though. My Silver B has always had stainless. The other issue on the Q is the intentional design of the grates with its solid sections mixed with open bars as it does a pretty good job of replicating the effects of the Flavorizer bars on the bigger grills. I picked up the 12" Weber grill brush and it works OK on the Q but I'm also cleaning some residue with a couple wetted and wadded up paper towels on the next use before it gets too hot. I'd love a stainless option for the porcelain coated cast iron. I imagine there's a reason Weber doesn't offer one.

Back