No Prime Brisket At Costco

yeah, that's worth 55 bucks a year

I guess priorities play a big part....

Don't know if your Costco has a gas station, ours does and they are $.10-12 a gallon cheaper than anyone else. That and the propane, bellies, BBs, pays for our membership easily. I just wish they were a little more consistent with their products. You never know what will be available when you go there.

Rich our Costco is three miles away so convenience is a big thing. As you say, between the gas, great and inexpensive meats compared to other markets in the area, the customer service we enjoy it. Like you we spend more than enough there to cover our membership and usually a nice check at the end of the year. It can be dangerous however. Two years ago Nancy and I went in to buy trash bags and a rotisserie chicken and end up coming home with a new television set. Go figure.....

Rich our Costco is three miles away so convenience is a big thing. As you say, between the gas, great and inexpensive meats compared to other markets in the area, the customer service we enjoy it. Like you we spend more than enough there to cover our membership and usually a nice check at the end of the year. It can be dangerous however. Two years ago Nancy and I went in to buy trash bags and a rotisserie chicken and end up coming home with a new television set. Go figure.....
Add to that, they treat their employees fairly, one of the reasons we joined.
https://www.aol.com/article/finance...est-place-to-work-in-america-here-s/22082187/

Just got back from Costco. They had prime brisket packers in a variety of sizes from 10 lbs. to 15 lbs. $3.99/lb. The choice brisket flats were $8.99/lb. I'd have snagged the 15 lb. one but we just finished the last of the brisket from the previous cook and I was looking to do pulled pork. Got a package of two boneless pork butts for $1.99/lb. Not the greatest price, but I'm not paying for the bone and given the comparative rarity of pork butt around here I'm glad to get what I can. I'm going to try out the peach wood I got from Fruita Wood. Maybe toss in a chunk of apple.

thanks Jay!
Naperville is a drive from here, but Mettawa is closer...
i'll call ahead before trekkin'.

Thanks again Jay

Just got back from Costco. They had prime brisket packers in a variety of sizes from 10 lbs. to 15 lbs. $3.99/lb. The choice brisket flats were $8.99/lb. I'd have snagged the 15 lb. one but we just finished the last of the brisket from the previous cook and I was looking to do pulled pork. Got a package of two boneless pork butts for $1.99/lb. Not the greatest price, but I'm not paying for the bone and given the comparative rarity of pork butt around here I'm glad to get what I can. I'm going to try out the peach wood I got from Fruita Wood. Maybe toss in a chunk of apple.

Prime packers at 3.99/lb?

Geez, you could cut the point off and throw it away for just the flat and still be ahead of a choice flat at 8.99/lb

Went with a friend yesterday to Costco in Mission Valley/San Diego.

They only had 1 prime packer left - sold out, and the shipment for the day had not come in :-(

Way too big for my rig weighing in at 18.5lbs, so I let my friend snag it for a cook this weekend.

I 'settled' for a 6lb choice flat at $6.49/lb for a Saturday cook.

@ my CostCo today, Prime packers for $3.99, and Choice packers for $2.69 (first time I've seen choice packers.....previously just flats.)

R

@ my CostCo today, Prime packers for $3.99, and Choice packers for $2.69 (first time I've seen choice packers.....previously just flats.)

R

Just my luck. :mad:

They didn't have any choice packers when I went - just flats for 6.49/lb argh.

My friend did his prime packer this weekend on his BGE. 275F (at the dome, so the grate was probably hotter) for 6 hours with post oak.

Probably the best brisket I've ever had - kicked @ss on any restaurant brisket I've had.

Phenomenonally tender & juicy. Gotta figure out how to get a big beast of a cut like that on my 18WSM.

Gotta figure out how to get a big beast of a cut like that on my 18WSM.
This is purely theoretical at this point (at least for me), but if you can imagine the brisket as two sides of a triangle, with the hypotenuse being along the surface of the grate, the task is to shorten the hypotenuse. Raising the center of the brisket sufficiently should accomplish this. My first thought is to drape the brisket over a rib rack. A roasting rack might also work, depending on how it's made. If that doesn't make it fit, find something to set the rib rack on to get it higher. A metal colander might also work. A metal bowl would do the same thing physically but would block the smoke on the bottom so that's not such a good idea. The colander would allow the smoke through, at the possible cost of hickory flavored spaghetti in the future.

Of course, this will only work until you foil it, assuming you do that, but by that time the brisket should have shrunk up enough that it will fit.

If they have another one of those 15 lbs. prime packers next time I'm at Costco I may be able to soon speak of this with a bit more authority.

As a result of this thread I submitted an online complaint with Costco about the static and limited selection of salad dressing at my local store. When I went to the store today, what did I find but one of the specific types of dressing I mentioned in my complaint. For two years they've had the same two salad dressings. I file a complaint and a few weeks later they've added two more, including one I mentioned. It can't be a coincidence.

Of course, this thread isn't about salad dressing, but my experience suggests they are listening and responding to their customers. If your local store stops carrying brisket packers or Boston butts or whatever it is you want, let them know you'd like to see these items available.

BTW, they had a 18 lbs. packer brisket too. I decided to pass it up because I haven't yet used the short ribs I go on my last trip. Those go on tomorrow.

For the first time I've ever seen, last Sat I saw a packer at my COSTCO. There were ~10 Prime Packers. I couldn't believe it so I grabbed one.

Last edited:

Back