New Year's Eve Wings Three Ways

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

For NYE this year I decided to do some wings on the Weber 26 (this is starting to become a tradition). I cooked them using the pile method over some KB with Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Chips for light smoke. I made a strawberry jalapeno/sriracha glaze, an apricot glaze, and used some # Five Sauce to round out the selections. I smoked the wings without saucing indirect in a large pile using high heat (~375). Every twenty minutes or so I knocked the pile down and rebuilt it. The wings were sauced to order Buffalo Style in a large bowl after pulling. Below are a few pics of the proceedings:

Wings - Dry Brined, Soaked, Rinsed, Dried, and Rubbed with RADA Garlic Citrus Pepper Seasoning

Strawberry-Jalapeno-Sriracha Glaze (Strawberry Jalapeno Preserves, Sriracha, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Oyster Sauce)

Apricot Glaze (Apricot Preserves, Brown Sugar Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Honey Mustard, KS, BP, Paprika, and Ginger)

Pile Method - Mid Cook

Wings Sauced to Order with Stawberry/Jalepeno/Siriacha Glaze in a Stainless Steel Bowl

Apricot Glazed Wings Plated with Little Smokies in #Five Sauce and Wine and Meatballs in Homemade Marinara

This was a hit again. I cooked about 50 wing pieces and the family demolished them all. Both glazes were very well received and #Five Sauce is always a favorite on our table. The pile technique is hard to beat for wings and the dry brine helped them stay very juicy. I want to wish each of you a happy and prosperous new year! Thanks for looking.

Regards,

John

WOW!!! John all three ways sound delicious. Rich and I will be trying these real soon. Thanks for sharing and hope you and the family had a great New Years Eve.

Like Barb said we haven't really tried our hand at wings yet. Your method looks perfect for what we want to try, doing the wings without sauce and saucing at the end makes it easier to keep everything separate.
# 5 sauce will be a must and I have a couple of other sauce ideas.
Quick question what did you use for the dry brine?
Hope you and your family have a wonderful and healthy New Year.

Great looking wings John. Can you share a bit more about the pile method you used. My wife is a huge wing fan and I'm always looking to up my wing game.

Good lookin cook. I grilled some wings and served with three different sauces today for lunch as well. Great minds think alike.

Rich - I used Kosher Salt - a lot of it. I cut the wings (reserving the tips for stock), rinsed them and sprinkled them liberally with KS. I stored them in the fridge for 45 minutes, then pulled them and rinsed them with cold water. I then soaked them in fresh cold water for about 20 minutes. Then I drained them, patted them dry with paper towels and hit them with the citrus pepper rub. I really prefer the dry brine approach to the wet brines I have used in the past. Please let me know how yours turn out...

Regards,

John

Rich - I used Kosher Salt - a lot of it. I cut the wings (reserving the tips for stock), rinsed them and sprinkled them liberally with KS. I stored them in the fridge for 45 minutes, then pulled them and rinsed them with cold water. I then soaked them in fresh cold water for about 20 minutes. Then I drained them, patted them dry with paper towels and hit them with the citrus pepper rub. I really prefer the dry brine approach to the wet brines I have used in the past. Please let me know how yours turn out...

Regards,

John

Thanks for the reply John, I'll use your dry brine method and will post the results. Next time you do the #5 sauce try a shot of Sriracha in it, adds a nice sweet heat to it. That's what I'm going to use on the wings as one sauce.

Great looking wings John. Can you share a bit more about the pile method you used. My wife is a huge wing fan and I'm always looking to up my wing game.

JR, sorry I just noticed your question. The pile technique is a technique I learned from one of the gurus on here (it has been long enough ago that I don't remember who made the post). Basically I cook the wings direct for a few minutes so they take some color and then move them indirect and stack them into a pile with the grill running between 375 and 400. About every 20 minutes I knock the pile down and rebuild it so that the wings that were on the top are moved to the bottom. It usually takes two or three rebuilding cycles (depending upon the amount of wings). As for smoke - I like a light smoke for grilled wings and have a slight preference for apple or cherry but the whiskey barrel chips worked pretty well this time around.

Regards,

John

Back