New WSM 22"

JimRankin

TVWBB Member
Been a Weber grill fan for many, many years - finally pulled the trigger and got a WSM 22". Took her our for her maiden voyage today. Decided to stick to split chickens - goal was more for temperature control than appearance, was just curious how much I could control the temperature on a brand new smoker.

Set up the smoker, used minion method with a chimney of unlit, and about 20 lit Kingsford coals, added 3 chunks of pecan wood to it. Chicken had been soaking overnight in Mad Hunky Poultry Brine, and I rubbed half the chicken with Mad Hunky General Puropose rub, and the other half with Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

Smoked the chicken for approximately 3 1/2 to 4 hours trying to keep temperatures down - I was able to maintain between 250-260 degrees for most of the cook with 2 vents closed one opened halfway - top vent was fully open, and I did use water in the pan.

I did take the chicken off at 165 degrees and did a quick sear on Genesis in an attempt to crisp up the skin (didn't really help). I knew going into this that the skin wouldn't be ideal, but was just curious if I could keep smoker in "sweet spot", between 250-275 and I felt I did achieve that.

Here is finished product:

It turned out really good - skin wasn't that great, but inside chicken was very smoky and juicy, I definitely feel the brine helped. All in all I felt it was a successful run and I am going to attempt some St. Louis Ribs on it this Sunday. It did keep temperatures very steady once I got the vents figured out, even to the point I was doubting the accuracy of my Maverick ET-733!!

And if it didn't turnout well there is always one member of the family willing to eat any leftovers!! :)

I just wanted to add - Thank You to everyone on this board, I have learned so much from lurking around your posts, that I felt I finally had the confidence to do this. A lot of you guys - even though you don't know it have really been an inspiration to me.

Thanks- Jim

Lookin Good! I have never had perfect skin of the smoker but like your trick of trying to hit the grill after.

Welcome to the awesome world of the WSM!

The chicken looks great! I bought an 18.5 WSM last month. My first cook was chicken, and I had the same issue with the skin. From what I gather from the responses, that's a pretty common occurrence when cooking chicken low ans slow. Like you, I was more concerned about learning to control the temperature. Next time, I am going to cook ckicken at 325 or 350. Some other members said that would help crisp up the skin, as well as cook faster.

THAT is how you break in a new WSM! :) Am I correct in guessing you might have some leftovers (on purpose?) Smoked chicken enchiladas are a favorite around here......which reminds me, have to dig up my enchilada sauce recipe and get a batch going! Well done, Jim. Enjoy that new smoker!

Rich

Hey Rich, Yes I always do more than what we need for dinner. I have a crew of teenagers that work for me, and they love to try just about anything I make - so they will get one of the chickens for a snack tomorrow. The other chicken I am going to strip the breast meat for salad toppings for the wife and I , and I will enjoy the leg quarters for a lunch sometime this week.

Fantastic chicken it looks mighty tasty to me. Your plated pics tells the true story. Its always nice to have a helper around to take care of any bad cooks.:D Looking forward to seeing the ribs on the week end.

Well, Did the Ribs today - turned out pretty good. I almost feel guilty unless I am fidgeting with something, I can't believe how well this smoker maintains temperature! Definitely think the trick is to catch the temp on the way up, at around 190-195 I start closing the vents partway and that seems to work pretty good.

Here are the ribs - rubbed and just put on -

Did the 3-2-1 method in an attempt to keep it fairly simple - this is the ribs after I unwrapped.

Here is the plated dinner - some corn bread I did in my Lodge corn bread pan, wife made some green bean casserole and a good ole baked tater!

I am really liking this smoker so far, definitely brings another dimension to outdoor cooking.

Back