New Weber pellet grills for 2020

If they could devise a way to cover the hopper temporarily during cooking, they could create smoke at a much higher temp. It would still limit the oxygen that way.

And it leads back to white puffy smoke vrs thin blue smoke.

Smoldering smoke vrs chunk/splits in flame.

And I don't think there's definite answer.

I had begun to think that pellet poopers did not produce a lot of visible smoke because they burned so clean. Which is not a bad thing, I don't see smoke from my stick burner when it's running clean.

And I had to wonder if the complaints by pellet pooper owners about the lack of smoke flavor, was somewhat influenced by no visible smoke from the cooker.

But chunk/charcoal smokers have always produced white puffy smoke.

Soooo, its whatever suits the individuals taste.

All I know is that if you are putting out blue smoke, you are burning oil, while smoke is coolant.

I know the flavorizer bars are Weber's signature. On some other pellet grills, the drip pan/heat dissipator is easy to cover with foil. With the flavorizer bars, it seems like the bottom of the grill will collect grease and need to be scraped out regularly. Maybe we can put aluminum foil on the bottom and replace it after a few cooks. I guess until we see SmokeFire in action, we won't know for sure.

That's a very informative video. I'm liking the engineering the more I learn. His shots of the pellet hopper interior, burn pot, and exhaust vents answered some questions I had.

I had ordered aluminum pans for the EX6 and they were supposed to ship today, got an email from Amazon that they are also delayed.

I had ordered aluminum pans for the EX6 and they were supposed to ship today, got an email from Amazon that they are also delayed.

So THAT's the hold up, those little aluminum pans and not production issues or app programming! ;)

Just one more question about the Camp Chef, that optional side kick attachment, it has to be gas fueled, but where is the propane tank ?

Their web site is not clear on that. I really like the idea. Smoke the steak on the pellet pooper, then move it to the side attachment. In fact, I could sell my Weber gasser with that set up.

I found another Camp Chef review, YT'er doesn't say if it was given to him, but I suspect it was. That said , its a good review

Good video. I purchased the Camp Chef PG24MZG which is a Amazon exclusive. If you look at the Camp Chef web site they don't even show it, to see it you have to put in the model number and do a search. Its the same grill as the video without the Wi Fi controller and side kick. I have the sliding sear feature also.
Glad to hear that he was pleased with it. I haven't had a chance to fire mine up yet, been super windy, but tomorrow looks promising.

At 1000 bucks that Woodwind in the video is one to compare to the Weber EX4. My cheap Camp Chef DLX is 4 years old but gets the job done - with modifications of course. CC has made big strides in 4 years and it looks like Weber incorporated and improved some CC innovations. My personal preference top 3 pellet pooper are the Weber EX4, Rec Tec RT590, and the Camp Chef Woodwind with WIFI and the Sidekick. The Woodwind is third because it doesn't have casters.

I just walked through my local Menards and they had A LOT of pellet grills. I think more than gas and coal combined. THat may change as the summer grilling season approaches, but I was shocked at how many different pellet grills they had on display. Most looked pretty cheap and were Charbroil type manufacturers, but I did see a "Pit Boss" one. I didn't look at them too close, as I am not real interested in buying one, but it just shocked me to see so many offerings.

At 1000 bucks that Woodwind in the video is one to compare to the Weber EX4. My cheap Camp Chef DLX is 4 years old but gets the job done - with modifications of course. CC has made big strides in 4 years and it looks like Weber incorporated and improved some CC innovations. My personal preference top 3 pellet pooper are the Weber EX4, Rec Tec RT590, and the Camp Chef Woodwind with WIFI and the Sidekick. The Woodwind is third because it doesn't have casters.

You're right Lew I had to spend about a $100 to get a leg set with casters. With the pellet box on the handle end the thing is a bear to move without wheels, over 150 lbs. With the heavy duty casters it's easy peezy. These pellet grills remind me of cars of the 50s and 60's everything was optional you get a base car and add on what you need or want.

You're right Lew I had to spend about a $100 to get a leg set with casters. With the pellet box on the handle end the thing is a bear to move without wheels, over 150 lbs. With the heavy duty casters it's easy peezy. These pellet grills remind me of cars of the 50s and 60's everything was optional you get a base car and add on what you need or want.

The base grill weighs about 150 lb. but if you add the sidekick now it's 180 lb. For the young bucks that's no problem but I don't want to subject my back to that much strain. i cut 3.5" off the Camp Chef legs and installed 2 locking casters because I keep it in the garage and roll out to cook. My Son in Law was surprised at how easily it moves now.

It is like cars back then. Back in the 50s I could only afford a cheap used car but I remember my folks getting a 55 Merc with a couple of add ons for my Mom.

Lol well my drip pans are coming today! That’s promising, hope my EX6 is soon to follow!

Back