New Weber pellet grills for 2020

My wife has two Weber gas grills, I have two kettles, a performer and a WSM 18. We like Weber products. The gas grills are great for quicker cooks and convenience at times. Things like truly great beef (Kobe steaks, etc) get cooked over charcoal. Brisket, pork butts, ribs, etc., all charcoal too, some times we use a gas grill to keep things warm. I have friends with pellet grills. The ones that seem happiest have the GMG pellet poopers. I've thought about one of their Daniel Boone models, but just don't think the convenience is enough to draw me away from all that appeals to me about charcoal. I'm sure Weber sees it as way to make additional sales to existing customers, and get some market share they may not otherwise get. Seems like a great business move. Now that they are coming out with a pellet pooper I wouldn't even think of buying a GMG until I see what the Weber is like.

As much as I like my pellet smoker and all my other grills the Performer will be the last 1 at my home when I die, heck may take it with me. no 1 grill will do every thing, why only have 1 method when there are so many out there, bought a souse vid machine and have only ran it 2 short cooks, not enuff taste bud data yet to form a opinion yet. so how may of you have solar cookers? :rolleyes:;)

I would equate the motorcycle equivalents of grilling evolution to this: carburetors to EFI (charcoal/wood to gas), linked ABS brakes (constant probe temperature monitoring), DCT/auto transmissions (pellet grills).
It's a good thing we didn't have social media back in 1985 when Weber came out with the Genesis gas grill. I'm sure the howls of "sellout" would have been deafening! :D

Lets just see how they do with this new line. It seems they took their time before jumping in and hopefully what they put out next year isn't simply a prototype and use customers as test subjects.

It's a good thing we didn't have social media back in 1985 when Weber came out with the Genesis gas grill. I'm sure the howls of "sellout" would have been deafening! :D

I don't know.................they had been selling those awful gas kettles for quite some time before introducing the Genesis so it's not like gas cooking was not already in their repertoire

Larry,
That is certainly true. But by keeping the kettle shape, the gas kettle (same with the electric version) could still claim to be a "Weber." Going with a more conventional gas grill design - though much improved and better engineered - was probably pretty hard for George (and Weber purists) to accept back then. I am sure glad they did, though.

I admit I am struggling with doubt, but I am hoping this new pellet grill will be at least a bit of a leap forward as well. How well it is made and if it can really hit 600 will be significant factors in my view.

I admit I am struggling with doubt, but I am hoping this new pellet grill will be at least a bit of a leap forward as well. How well it is made and if it can really hit 600 will be significant factors in my view.

Could it possibly be a hybrid? Conventional small fire pots on current pellet grills can't generate 600 degree temps at the grate (let alone over the entirety of the grate surface). A pellet/gasser hybrid would give the best of both worlds.

Could it possibly be a hybrid? Conventional small fire pots on current pellet grills can't generate 600 degree temps at the grate (let alone over the entirety of the grate surface). A pellet/gasser hybrid would give the best of both worlds.

Well now that might be interesting, especially at the price point that's being talked about.

The grill has now been seen in-person. It's not a pellet/gas hybrid.

Wow, you actually saw one. Any photos. I won't believe it until we get a DNA sample.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Chris,
Thanks for keeping us updated! This will be an interesting story to see unfold. I am very interested to see how Weber is able to deliver 100 degrees hotter temperatures than my Rec Tec can.

I am glad they went with the rear hopper/center mounted auger. Very good choice. Wonder about the construction materials. Is the barrel just powder coated steel or is it porcelain plated? What about the hardware - did they use stainless or did the bean counters (it takes one to know one ;)) prevail again and order up rust-prone bolts and connectors to save a buck?

Last edited:
Yah, it is nice getting timely updates. I have little interest or intention of pursuing the Weber Pellet grill or any pellet grill for that matter, but I am interested in it and would like to see it in action some time.

Looks like there is a new elephant in the room. I've noticed that Traeger has upped their advertising a whole lot recently and a couple of the others also have stepped it up too. Going to be interesting especially when the spring grilling season starts.
I'm not a player at $1K, but will keep an eye out for a used Traeger or Rec Tec to give it a try. The last new grill I bought was my Gen 1000 LX in 1998 all my others are used rehabs. Actually If you exclude the 1998 Gen my other nine grills I didn't spend $1000 for all nine of them.

Yah, I think the Pellet Grill market is beginning to gather some steam and with Weber jumping in, there will be a lot more attention paid to the market than ever before. These top companies are right for ramping up their advertising. It will be critical to acquire as much market share as possible over the next several years as the Pellet grill market takes hold. Everyone wants to be that most well known brand going forward with the biggest customer base. It cans sustain a company for many years to come.

Sure, and a couple of the entrants will make a mark and carve out a large niche in the market. The momentum is out there and the time to cash in and carve out a customer base is now.

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed what seems like a big increase in marketing by Traeger. Competition usually means good things for the consumers, from pricing to innovation.

Back