New Weber pellet grills for 2020

It seems to me these wood pellets all fall down to a small receptacle that has an igniter to burn the pellets. It doesn't look like that receptacle is very big and it is centered in the middle of the grill. How does the heat get evenly dispersed to the outside edges of the grill? It just doesn't seem reasonable that you could burn enough pellets fast enough to get the grill up to 600 degrees much less get good even heating.

First year models sometimes do have issues that's true.

If there is software problems corrections can be downloaded via the Weber app, the only things that are moving are the auger and the fan. The ignitor is a diesel glow plug that you can get at any auto supply store. The rest is basically like any other weber grill.

The only thing that worries me at all is the porcelain fire box, but living in a very dry climate I shouldn't have any problems.

I believe that Weber spent a lot of time and engineering cost to make sure the grills are bullet proof, their reputation is on the line with these.
I for one will take the risk and get one as soon as they are available.

Last edited:
BBM has a new vid, there's one shot here that looks like a grease fire rather than wood .

Really, grilling is not what I would buy one of these for

I want to clarify , I'm not saying I think these grills won't do a good job of searing a steak.

I'm saying, that I'm searing steaks just fine right now , and would not buy this grill for that feature. If I buy one, it will be for smoking, or really, for the ease of smoking. Something for times when I don't want to babysit the stick burner. And maybe to eliminate some smokers from the patio and make room.

I reread that post and wanted to clarify.

Really, grilling is not what I would buy one of these for

After owning charcoal for years now i would never buy a gasser, especially a high quality one. For me, the sole purpose of a pellet needs to be the ease of a gasser, with the flavor of charcoal. $1000 smoker is not appealing to me when a $250 WSM/ATC gets you 95% of the way there. For $1000 it needs to do everything. Again, just like a $1000 Weber gasser can, but with better flavor.

Where Weber has really lost me is their warranty. They have always been top notch with their warranty, IMO this is right in line with any other competitor. They need to beat them

Lynn, I completely agree with you. As I have stated before I don't want the pellet grill for grilling I will have my performer or E320 for that. I want it for the ability to smoke in the summer when the fire restrictions are in place and in the winter not have to run in and out through the cold and snow to monitor a fire and add charcoal etc.
Fill the hopper, set the temperature, throw the whatever on the grate, hit start, go inside the warm house and watch a football game or whatever.

Harry Soo has posted Parts 2 and 3 of his video.

In Part 1 , Harry said the reason this smoker did not have a stack, was because Weber decided a stack did not keep enough smoke in the cook chamber. I questioned that above.

But in Part 3, Kevin Kolman does a much better job of explaining the vents, starts at about 2:45 . And it makes far more sense than restricting smoke from leaving.

It does sound like a lot of people are thinking they will reduce their herd considerably and replace it with this single pellet grill. And you probably could, but I also think there will be times where you think "I know this would work better over coals or in the WSM or in the Genesis". An then you will eventually replace the herd.
So, if you buy one of these with that in mind, just hang onto the rest of the herd for a while to make sure. It is easier to keep them in the pasture than have to chase them around the south 40 after you let them out.

It does sound like a lot of people are thinking they will reduce their herd considerably and replace it with this single pellet grill. And you probably could, but I also think there will be times where you think "I know this would work better over coals or in the WSM or in the Genesis". An then you will eventually replace the herd.
So, if you buy one of these with that in mind, just hang onto the rest of the herd for a while to make sure. It is easier to keep them in the pasture than have to chase them around the south 40 after you let them out.
I plan on buying one but the rest stay! Master touch kettle, kettle w ash catcher and rotisserie attachment, WSM 22, Q-320 and the pellet pooper should put me in good shape.
Come on spring!!

Russ, I have a 18 year old 4runner with 200,00 miles on it and in Arizona the air is on most of the time it's flow is run by a DC 12 volt blower which works still perfectly. I understand your passion for USA made products. But geez man give it a break.
Show me some statistics about how DC motors are less powerful or don't last as long as AC motors, I researched it and can't find a thing that says AC is superior to DC and from my years of experience in the phone company power teams where we had both DC (most) and AC motors for various power plant uses there was virtually no difference, you used what ever application that was needed.
I think Richard in NS nailed it.

Rich,
I did give it a break. A good old Kit Kat break.
As far as experience with DC motors how about 35 years of my life I have lived in a RV trailer. Which are all DC as you know. I wont go into the horror stories.
I have a friend who lived in Farmington NM which has fairly mild winters. He would put one blower motor in his RV every year to get through the winter. He now lives in a nice Mobil Home & of course has no problems.
Now you are going to get a real break because the computer is crapping out & going into the repair store after this post.
Also I think maybe you should relax & wait for the pellet stoves to get here. It will all be fine in the end. After all Weber didn't re-invent the wheel its just a pellet grill.
Good luck

Me ... I've got a whole lotta charcoal to use up , before I can think about buying pellets .. I just took inventory, 6 bags of Weber, 6 bags of Cowboy, and 7 bags of B&B lump. That's at least another six months to a year :)

Well said Bruce, I’m not sure I’d thin the herd until the new prize bull sired good offspring but even then I would probably see the need for other stock.
You do need flat and Phillips (as well as some star drive) screwdrivers anyway, right?

I agree, like I said above I'll defiantly keep our performer and NG E320 and maybe my 1985 gen2 chocolate, if I ever get my butt going on it's restoration. Like Lynn said I've got 23 various bags of briquets and lump. With the fire restrictions in the summer and the cold winters we are now having I'm not going through it like I used too.

I am going to buy the EX4. I have so many other cookers, capacity is not an issue for me. I could possibly see the EX4 consuming less fuel, and having better temp control compared to the EX6. This of course is speculation on my part. My only casualty on my patio will be the Weber gasser from the early 2000's. I just don't use it at all. I considered removing the many other cookers I have, but I am going to stick with crazy for now. My wife and children can sell them when I take my dirt nap.

Well honestly Im hearing a lot of good points about this, I don’t want to sear a steak with the EX6, I could easily do that in my Master touch kettle , I want to cook a brisket with no worries, start at midnight and have my phone keep me updated. What I’ve seen so far is a bunch of steaks getting the treatment.
If they used flavorizer bars to get hotter and caused a big old mess to clean in the bottom of the smoker only to sear steaks is this a smoker?
I’m torn I love Weber but I’m not sure about how this will clean up compared to another brand with a foil lined drip pan.

Any thoughts?

I agree Bruno, I can't see using the Weber for grilling to me it's not a true do it all grill. Actually I would look at a used Rec Tec or Traeger if it wasn't for that grease pail on the side which my lab and coyote mix would find very interesting. When I use the WSM they both like to be outside and hang around the smoker.
I do like smoking but I'm not a do it once a week guy.
I really don't need the capability to watch it from afar, with my Mavericks I can monitor it's progress at the house which is all I need. I don't want anything involving fire left unsupervised.
Cost wise I would save a lot of money buying a clean used pellet grill, although the Weber has a lot of features I like.
Decisions Decisions.

Last edited:

Back