New tool from Harbor Freight

Hrrm..... I seem to remember that Porter Cable had a similar device..... there it is, a Restorer. I wonder if all of this style of device use the same consumables? That'd be just too darned convenient.

That one caught my eye, too. Do you know more about how they work and what their best applications are?

Personally, I haven't touched one, but I have a big smoker that I still need to paint, probably 50-60 sq. feet of flat surface. I've been eyeing this sort of tool to touch of the surfaces. For how often I'd use it, an HF device might be the ticket.

These really look like they're going to work best on large flat surfaces. They might still work better than flexible flap discs on on curved surfaces like a kettle.

Flat surface polishing tool. I think Porter cable did have one and we had one by a company called flex. They do work but are more for flat surfaces. We used them to polish corners after welding prefinished stainless and aluminum. Dont know anything about the Bauer name though.

Flat surface polishing tool. I think Porter cable did have one and we had one by a company called flex. They do work but are more for flat surfaces. We used them to polish corners after welding prefinished stainless and aluminum. Dont know anything about the Bauer name though.
Bauer is HF's mid-level price range of products. Warrior- cheaper, Hercules - more expensive.
I have a couple of Bauer items that have both worked flawlessly.
My Bauer grinder has been thru hell over the last 3 years and still runs like a champ.

This can get things really going. I am an accountant and a wannabe novice about tools, so anything I say should be taken in that context.

I first went to Harbor Freight looking for a cheap way to get a wire tool for doing simple outlet changes. That cheap "Pittsburgh" thing still works fine for an amateur like me. Later, I bought several of their plier and screwdriver sets. The pliers turned out to be pretty cheap and not really worth owning.

Then, getting involved on this board, I got a "Chicago Electric" grinder for less than $20. This is not their ultra-cheap "Warrior" version, but it certainly wasn't top grade. At the same time, HF began their "Good, Better, Best" program as they started introducing a variety of Hercules and improved Bauer tools. I have bought a grinder from both lines, and I have to say they are MUCH nicer - especially for the price.

Another line of their tools that I really like are the Doyle pliers. I have a small set of them now, and I find them to be very high quality - again from a CPA novice's viewpoint. I have read that some feel a few of these pliers are the same as some of the top end brand pliers. Also, I have watched a number of videos that seem to confirm that the Doyle pliers and screwdrivers are definitely decent tools.

So, if I was a master mechanic, I might not always go with HF stuff, but I do think their higher grade stuff - and enter now their ICON line, a direct assault on Snap On and other "delivery truck" brands - allows you to find some nice stuff at Harbor Freight. Certainly a lot of junk, too.

And here I was thinking that $60k of Snap-on tools would fit in a single cabinet.

There really is a place in the market for both of those types of vendor. If I'm making a living with it, I'm probably going to be buying something that I can always rely on. For an occasional use tool, or something that I very well may lose, I'm gonna go cheap.

Harbor Freight got it's start by selling cheap tools (electric, i think,) to job sites where tool loss or damage was going to happen. A lot easier to swallow losing a $20 drill vs. a $200 drill.

<scratches head>
I hope that either these drums fit or they come out with them.
IIRC, Hazard Fraught generally tries to get tools that'll use a bigger brand's consumables. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if HF's tools would use the Eastwood or Porter Cable stuff

I only own one Harbor Freight power tool, a hammer drill. Needed one for a project and at under $30 it was cheaper than renting. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Have since used it for sinking some other deep anchors in concrete and it is still working.

Harbor Freight tools are great for what they are, pretty much disposable, but also pretty much the tool. I have a HF scissor transmission jack for example. I don't take transmissions out that often, but when I do I can use the jack. It paid for itself many times already, and I used it twice.

Harbor Freight is textbook example of the great conundrum
that our nation currently faces. Is there anything under their
roof made in the USA? If so, I do not recall every seeing anything
and I walk every single aisle on most trips just to see if there is
anything new that I might need, or to file away the thought for
another day. I love Harbor Freight, and I REALLY LOVE CHEAP
DEALS. I don't need Snap-On quality, and I don't need a $200
socket wrench - or whatever they are charging now. If my $10
socket wrench breaks, I will buy a new one.
I think most all of us want to buy American. But we also have bills,
and budgets. If I had to outfit my garage with American made only,
I would have a very small assortment. The cheapie imports allow me
to have many tools and hobbies I wouldn't otherwise.

Harbor Freight is textbook example of the great conundrum
that our nation currently faces. Is there anything under their
roof made in the USA? If so, I do not recall every seeing anything
and I walk every single aisle on most trips just to see if there is
anything new that I might need, or to file away the thought for
another day. I love Harbor Freight, and I REALLY LOVE CHEAP
DEALS. I don't need Snap-On quality, and I don't need a $200
socket wrench - or whatever they are charging now. If my $10
socket wrench breaks, I will buy a new one.
I think most all of us want to buy American. But we also have bills,
and budgets. If I had to outfit my garage with American made only,
I would have a very small assortment. The cheapie imports allow me
to have many tools and hobbies I wouldn't otherwise.
This thread is deleted -- Chris A.

[NOT, but it's gonna be if we keep this up. Just sayin'}

Let's lighten up.

Back