New, to me, Performer

Ken Chapman

TVWBB Fan
Today is a very happy day for me. I've been scouring Craigslist for months looking for a Performer. After being as patient as I could be, one finally popped up. The ad said lightly used Weber $50. When I opened the ad, there was a picture of a newer Performer. I couldn't believe my eyes. The ad had only been up for four hours and even though it was late Sunday evening, I sent off a quick message asking when I could come check it out. Knowing/fearing that it was already sold I figured I would never hear back, to my surprise I received a message right back saying “come anytime this week”. I replied right away saying I would be there tomorrow. I didn't want to miss this opportunity.

When I arrived I was met by a nice lady who said she bought the grill as floor model and that she really didn't know much about it. She used it twice and that her boyfriend was really against charcoal so they never used it. She was moving in with him and he only uses gas so she had to sell the grill. When I tried to open the igniter cover she made the comment, “that doesn't open and I don’t know why it’s there.” When I popped it open I explain to her what the igniter system was for and she just gave me the deer in the headlights look so I moved on. The grill is in great condition except for some minor damage from a lid drop and it was missing the cover. I probably could have haggled her down a little but I considered $50 for a 2011 Performer Platinum, that’s only been used twice, to be a hell of a deal. So, I just handed her the money and moved the grill to my Tahoe.

The funniest part is; she told me she would go get the rest of her charcoal and let me have that as well. She was gone for a few minutes and came back with a half used bad of Match light and a half empty bottle of lighter fluid. I really had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. I was thinking; if she used half a bottle of lighter fluid on Match light charcoal for two cooks, no wonder her boyfriend hates charcoal.

Here are a couple of pictures of how she looked when I got her home. I'll be spending some time cleaning the 2 years of dust and crud buildup and post more pictures after her bath.

In the following picture there is a little yellow plastic piece on the ground in front of the grill. That plastic piece is the seal for the propane intake. I had to break the seal to attach my bottle to see if the gas assist worked. It lit up on the first try.

Great deal! I certainly would not have tried to negotiate a lower price on a deal like that. I would just give her the $50, thank her and load it up.
BTW, the boyfriend sounds like a real winner.

That's a heck of a deal. Being patient on CL really pays off most of the time. But it really is a shame how "smart" people can be sometimes, especially when there's a whole book of directions, plus the internet to teach you anything you want to know about something you bought.

Guess it worked out for you though. Awesome, your gonna love it

So your the one that got to it before me.:) I had contacted that the seller by email 5a yesterday morning just to get a pic since I didn't see one in his ad, just a description. They responded at 6:30a saying no problem. Then I get an email yesterday evening that someone picked it up. It was you. Good for you on the score. :cool: I at least picked up a faded out A code blackie yesterday. I guess I need to keep looking.

I have a green 2011 Crate & Barrel Performer just like yours - I paid $20 more, but still feel it was a bargain (also got a color-matching set of Crate&Barrel BBQ tools, a Performer cover & some charcoal). I use it WAY more than my two kamados. Not as efficient, but WAY more convenient, flexibile, and easier for the family to use.

I have this same one and same color a AD code I psid a 100.00 for mine it had been used afew times . Very hsppy with it use this more than anyother grill I own.
Great deal, congrats.

Ken;
Your $50.00 Performer is better than my $50.00 Performer but I will tell the world, without fear of contradiction, that we are BOTH VERY happy BBQ'ers.

I believe the Weber Performer is the best grill out there! Others will argue, stomp their feet, and disagree (that's their prerogative) but I firmly believe that! Getting one for $50.00 is just icing on the cake!

At any rate, I flat out LOVE my Performer!:cool:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I finally got lucky last week as well. The crazy thing is I also got mine for $50.

5Npxmmr.jpg

At home and cleaned up.

itbrp3B.jpg

So nice to finally have a performer.

Last edited:
What a steal! I got mine for $180, and was as happy as a clam! $50 is sick! And mine didn't even come with match light. Lucky!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am very happy with this purchase and amazed people sell these for so cheap. I know everyone has their reasons, but these Weber's clean up with so little effort I can't imagine ever wanting to sell it. Troy, the guy you bought yours from is going to be kicking himself that he sold once he uses his gas BBQ island a few times realizes how much better the Performer was. I have a Weber gasser and its nice for quick weekday cooks but if I have the time its charcoal all the way.

The last part of the story/deal is that the previous owner of my Performer had dropped the lid and bent the handle. I took a chance and contacted Weber to ask how much a new lid would cost. The Customer Service agent said the lid was under warranty and they could send me a new one free of charge. I explained that I bought it off craigslist and not the original owner. She said to give her the serial number and if had not been registered before, she would register it and honor the warranty under my name. My new lid arrived today. If I wasn't already, I am for sure now a Weber customer for life!

"Only been up for 4 hours"? Scoring a $50 Performer 4 hours into a craigslist ad is like winning the lottery. I got my $50 Performer from an ad 10 minutes old, and mine was much more "experienced" than yours.

Back