New to BBQing. Some questions.

Stew McWilliam

Hi,

I've recently bought my first BBQ, a weber master touch 57cm with the GBS grate.

It's my first BBQ, so I'm still trying to get to grips with it.

Last Sunday I fired it up for the first time, filled the chimney starter with briquettes and made some burgers, sausages and corn on the cob. All went well!!

However, last night I didn't have as good a time with it. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed I could reuse the same briquettes as before as they were only lit for an hour or so the last time, I filled the chimney starter with the used briquettes and lit them up, pouring onto the grate when flames were visible at the top, as per instructions.

However this time the temperature in the grill never got anywhere near as hot as before, struggled to reach 100deg C.

I was using my GBS pizza stone for the first time too, so I am thinking that either the Pizza stone absorbs a LOT of the heat and the lid thermometer doesn't register it, or the used briquettes don't give off as much heat?

Regarding the Pizza stone, I was trying to cook store bought Pizza on it, however the Pizza stone never seemed to get hot enough to cook it properly. Do I need a LOT of briquettes to heat the stone? Also, the pizza base stuck to the stone, anything I can do to stop this happening?

Apologies for all the questions. I'm hoping for some nice weather this weekend so I can get it going again!!

Thanks,
Stewart

Hi Stewart, welcome :)

Partially burnt briq's can be re-used although maybe not in the quantities you tried. My usual new-to-used ratio is probably 10-1 and they never fail to add to the fire. If your ratio was reversed (or even 100% used briqs), I would say that is why you had a hard time getting the temps up.

As far as the pizza sticking, it was definitely because the stone temp was not high enough. You need temps of around 450-500o or higher. PLUS you need to wait about 30--45 min after the ambient temps in the cooker/oven reach that level for the stone's heat to "catch up" to that ambient heat. Although the stone will reach that temp (eventually), it does take a while. It also holds that heat for a long time after the ambient temps drop. So yes, you do need a lot of briqs, soley for the reason that they need to burn longer (higher temps+longer time = more fuel initially).

When I'm baking bread in my cast iron dutch oven, temps are 475o and I have to wait at least 30 min after the oven hits that temp (with the D.O. in there) for the D.O. to get to the same temp as the oven.

Same thing applies to the stone. If it's too cold, everything will stick to it.

Last edited:
Hi Len

Thanks for the reply, sounds like temperature was my downfall. I'll definitely use more briquettes and time next time.

This weekend is just going to be burgers again so should be fine!!

Also, 10 new, 1 used? Or the other way round?

Stewart

As Len mentioned it's probably the ratio of used briquettes that got you. You definitely can use them and don't want to just throw them out, but I usually fill my chimney with new briquettes probably 80 percent and throw the used briquettes on top. I don't know if that is the best method but it works for me :) I typically keep my used briquettes in a plastic bag because I typically can't use all of them the next cook.

Stew, I had the same issues with used briquettes and pizza. I had a mix (about 50/50) of used and new briquettes to fill a charcoal chimney. I think it was just too many used briquettes. My temp peaked at 450 degrees F, but after about 20-25 minutes cooled to 350 and the pizza took forever to cook. I actually finished it under the broiler in the oven.

Yes: 10 new to one used. BUT it's more of a visual thing-->just make sure the majority of your briqs are new (that 10-1 ratio is just a guesstimate. I don't count them ;) ). That won't normally be a problem (for me anyways) in that most of the time we're doing long smokes (which uses more new and leaves mostly ash and not too many used briqs).

When I sort out the used from the ash (nasty job but if you want to use used, it's a necessary evil), I clean off the partially used ones (just rub the ash off with your fingers) and give it a fairly hard squeeze with two fingers (to concentrate the pressure).

If it crumbles, it's garbage. If you get the ash off, squeeze it and it DOESN'T crumble, that's re-usable.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Stew. What the others have said is right. Once I have a chimney of new going, I will then add a handful of used. That seems to work. Check out some of the articles on the above link "The Weber Virtual Bullet". Chris has some great tips and ideas posted there. Congrats on that new grill.

I use as much as a one to one ratio of new to used briquettes. Just try to shake as much ash off the used ones as possible first. The Weber charcoal baskets are ideal for this. Then put the new briquettes in the bottom of the chimney and the used ones on top.

Welcome, mate. As a new cook, you might want to stick with using only new briquettes for a while, until you get a feel for managing a fire. One suggestion might be to put used (cool) briquettes in a box or bag and use them to add to an already-going fire. Used briquettes definitely perform differently than new ones, as has been noted above.

Jeff

I go 1/3 - 2/3 fresh to pre-fired charcoal. If this is your first run with a Weber, don't be too hard on yourself, there are a few new tricks to one that I find more useful is the rough understanding that it is kind of a convection oven in theory. With the long leg into the wind and top vent downwind, you can develop a LOT of heat. I agree about the pizza stone, fire it heavy, give it time to get to temp and have a lot of fun!
There are folks here who have far wider experience than I and, I am happy to bow to greater expertise. I have been doing this for forty odd years but, I'm learning tricks all the time.
Abandon hope all he who buy the mighty Weber grill! You will find yourself thinking about "What will I grill next?" All the time.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! You have all been extremely helpful!!

Sounds like my ratio of new (none) to used (all) was off!! 😂😂

Going to keep at it and try and do some burgers again today!!

Hi all,

I just managed to get the BBQ out again!

Filled the chimney starter about 3/4 full of new briquettes, and 1/4 of used ones, got it going (flames at the top) and put them on the grate, put the grill on, closed the lid and let it heat for about 10 mins.

The temperature got to about 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) opened the lid put on two corn on the cob and left it for 5 minutes.

When I came back the temperature was still around 220-230 Celsius. Opened the lid and put on 4 burgers.

Left these for 5 minutes and cane back to flip them, the temperature was struggling to get to 200 Celsius.

Flipped and checked the burgers again after another 5 minutes and the temperature was at about 175 Celsius?

Any ideas why the temperature kept dropping? The top and bottom vents were open at all times however, it was quite windy!!

I still managed to cook everything at this temperature but I just wondered if this was normal?

Maybe I didn't let the charcoal get hot enough in the starter?

Thanks again.
Stewart

When I first put the coals from the chimney in the kettle I let go 10 minutes with out the lid to really get it lit. It may be you need to have the lid off during some of the cook, like when I put burgers on I may have the lid off for a couple minutes in order let the fire get really hot again. I think the lid being off for a small period of time really allows that fire to stoke back up.

Last edited:
Again, each to his own BUT I'll put the used ones on the bottom/new on top in the ring, no used ones in the chimney..

I figure that when I start it my normal way (new glowing coals from the chimney--I don't use the the used ones in the chimney), I'll still be starting new coals. If it gets to the bottom of the ring, it'll be near the end of the smoke anyways. If they light, great. If not, it's not much of a loss.

Stew, you're gong to win some and lose some. It's more a learning arc (as opposed to curve) so, you will be learning tricks for a while, do NOT get discouraged! I have never put a thermometer to a burger in my life. You will start to see what's going on, the first thing I had to get used to was putting the "long" leg (no wheel) into the wind with the top vent downwind. There will be exceptions to that rule but, I have my giant carriage situated for the prevailing winds, some days the wind does not cooperate, you learn. More burgers, try some indirect method with chicken. (Baskets on each side, drip pan in the center). Take your time and make a few mistakes, for the most part it's pretty basic cooking technique. Add heat to product, take off before it becomes fuel for the next cook! You will sort it out.
I rarely use a full load of new briquettes unless,I have just really cleaned everything out and, have a long cook coming up. I will be doing a brace of butts in a couple of weeks, that will get all fresh coal.

Last edited:
Stew. Flikee?

Just to re-iterate what has already been said. I personally put the used briqs on top of the dumped lit briqs. Leave the lid off until it gets going. Make sure the flames are dancing out the top of the chimney before you dump in the lit.

I cooked last night, & the wind was a PITA! As Tim states above, put the non-wheeled leg into the wind and the lid vent downwind. Keep all vents wide open.

Remember, fire management is one of, if not, the most important parts a cook. Practice makes perfect.

With regards to your pizza cook. Once the dome temp gets up to speed, allow 30 mins for the stone to catch up. And I always dust the stone with dry semolina before putting the pizza on to prevent it sticking.

Don't get discouraged. Lots of good advice/tips/tricks etc on these boards. You'll have it down pat in no time. And we've all had a blooper or two in the past……some of us still do..(me).

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Not had a chance to get the grill out again, but I will definitely take all your advice on board the next time i do!

Ah, another Aberdonian, you will feel my pain regarding suitable days being few and far between. :)

Thanks,
Stewart

Not a true Aberdonian, but have lived here for 35 years.
I feel your pain with regards to suitable days for bbq-ing. I'm lucky coz I have an old wash-house that I set up the smoker in. I can't remember the last time I had the smoker outside.

My top tip for bbq-ing in NE Scotland: Store you briqs / charcoal in heavy duty plastic builder's rubble sacks. (Nothing worse trying to light damp fuel). Oh yeah, buy an umbrella! :)

Back