New SmokeFire for 2023?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Someone pointed me to a thread at Weber Kettle Club where one of the moderators says that a Weber rep spilled the beans on a new SmokeFire pellet grill for 2023. I think we'd heard some rumors about this, and perhaps this lends credence to those rumors.

He writes, "SmokeFire is receiving another re-vamp and may not even be called the SmokeFire anymore. Apparently they are ditching the rear hopper in favor of the more standard side mount option used by most other manufacturers, and the Genesis-style Flavorizer bars are being changed."

Your thoughts? What changes would you like to see in a revamped SmokeFire?

I read the same and don’t buy this one.

I think they will revamp but don’t totally believe the funds are there for a mass retool and redesign. And why, it’s not even needed.

If they do, they better make sure this one is going to be their A Game or it's game over.
The pellet grill market is full of almost flawless grills the price point has got to be right on and the quality high. If they are going for the high end again it's going to be a tuff sell with the reputation the early SmokeFire had. A low or midpoint price would get them back with the masses.
I wish them well.

I agree totally with @Rich Dahl that this is a critical juncture for Weber. I can see the name change despite the continual improvements that have been made. I know things are more online these days, but Weber pellet grills need to be on display in the big box stores alongside the many entrants from Traeger, Pit Boss and other players in the market. It's going to be uphill to get some of these retailers - especially Lowes - to give Weber another chance. Weber will have to convince them that this new grill is really a lot better.

Things I would like to see:
  • More real stainless and higher-grade overall internals. That is one of the nagging things that gives me pause about the SmokeFire based on what we see here. Even the happy users we have report part failures way too quickly due to inadequately designed internals.
  • I think @Bob Erdman is on to something as well. Weber has always wowed with cool porcelain colors. Some options beyond basic black (which I actually like) would definitely stand out and attract attention.
  • If the flavorizer bars are going, I hope there will be some way to still get the improved smoke profile the current SmokeFire delivers. Going to just a copycat flat shield will be a lot more reliable but also make Weber just another pellet grill.
  • Venting needs some attention to be more wind resistant. Some other manufacturers have used the back vents but made them less susceptible to wind and rain.
  • Improved legs and casters that are more rugged and ready for moving your grill when needed.
  • 304 Stainless shelving

I’m a fan of nearly everything on my SmokeFire, but I would welcome a redesign of the pellet hopper. A little wider and/or a little taller. Also, I don’t like where the plug is. I’d prefer on the side rather on the bottom. It would be cool to be able to cook directly over flame, but I can also see the problem that could cause

It would be cool to be able to cook directly over flame, but I can also see the problem that could cause
Pellet poopers are outdoor convection ovens. Regulated heat and with a fan = convection cooking.

You need a WSK in your arsenal. With your skill set, you’d put out some great meals off a WSK.

.. but I would welcome a redesign of the pellet hopper. A little wider and/or a little taller.
If I had a choice I'd also prefer the hopper door hinged on the opposite edge so it opens toward the pit. My personal experiences for preferring this: 1) the exhaust vents create condensation on the inner door when refueling 2) whether I load pellets from the original plastic bag or a bucket it's a chore to not touch the pit 3) stray pellets get trapped between the pit and hopper

If I had a choice I'd also prefer the hopper door hinged on the opposite edge so it opens toward the pit. My personal experiences for preferring this: 1) the exhaust vents create condensation on the inner door when refueling 2) whether I load pellets from the original plastic bag or a bucket it's a chore to not touch the pit 3) stray pellets get trapped between the pit and hopper
Thank you! Now I know I'm not the only one with strays trapped between the pit & hopper :)

I do plan to get one when I retire and move. Right now, I'm just getting rid of stuff, because I hate packing and moving it
We’re about to do a major purge. Hopefully moving in the coming months. Need to lighten the load. I don’t want to pay to move much at all.

Someone pointed me to a thread at Weber Kettle Club where one of the moderators says that a Weber rep spilled the beans on a new SmokeFire pellet grill for 2023. I think we'd heard some rumors about this, and perhaps this lends credence to those rumors.

He writes, "SmokeFire is receiving another re-vamp and may not even be called the SmokeFire anymore. Apparently they are ditching the rear hopper in favor of the more standard side mount option used by most other manufacturers, and the Genesis-style Flavorizer bars are being changed."

Your thoughts? What changes would you like to see in a revamped SmokeFire?
I like most of the above suggestions for changes. I heard this same rumor 18 months ago from a guy in the UK. I am not a corporate type so I'm just going with my gut and how Weber has dealt with the Smokefire. Weber released a new Smokefire in 2023. It's called the Sear+. Don't they have a history of introducing a grill and them make incremental changes for many years? WSM for example. The Smokefire has gotten incremental changes and some of the internals have been upgraded. I've heard a lot of false rumors about the Smokefire over the last 3 years and I'm leery of "the Weber rep let it slip" lead in. NOW, this one might be true and that's fine with me.

I agree with the comments above. Reverse the hopper lid, maybe make the hopper an inch wider too. Better legs and casters. However, I don’t know what to think about a complete redesign, that’s what makes the SmokeFire good. If they make it like all the Traeger copycats, I would see little reason to buy a Weber over the others. Very interested to see what they’ve come up with.

Software was always the weakest part of the SmokeFire, but sales must be well short of goals if they’re going to give it a new look and name.

Losing floor space at Lowes - the only big box store that I ever knew to carry the SmokeFire - had to hurt. The failure to make a good first impression and be visible at Home Depot and other retailers with high foot traffic to me pushed this promising Weber grill into retail obscurity. I liken how Lowes aggressively dumped ALL their SmokeFire grills and accessories to how Pharaohs in ancient Egypt would strike the name of a person who fell out of favor from off every monument and display in the country. I don’t think Lowes will be back. Meanwhile, their shelves bulge with Blackstone accessories and plenty of their griddles on the sales floor.

Losing floor space at Lowes - the only big box store that I ever knew to carry the SmokeFire - had to hurt. The failure to make a good first impression and be visible at Home Depot and other retailers with high foot traffic to me pushed this promising Weber grill into retail obscurity. I liken how Lowes aggressively dumped ALL their SmokeFire grills and accessories to how Pharaohs in ancient Egypt would strike the name of a person who fell out of favor from off every monument and display in the country. I don’t think Lowes will be back. Meanwhile, their shelves bulge with Blackstone accessories and plenty of their griddles on the sales floor.

Agree, and I don't think Ace Hardware is considered "big box", but I picked my EX6 up on clearance from Ace. I was told they were making space for newer models, but I'm not sure the Ace reps should be considered an authority on the subject.

Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm show them on the floor. IDK if they're kept in "stock" or if the floor model is simply a "you can order this" type thing there. Honestly they're the only paces I have even seen one "in the flesh". Actually pretty much the only places I even see Weber products at all of any kind

Agree, and I don't think Ace Hardware is considered "big box", but I picked my EX6 up on clearance from Ace. I was told they were making space for newer models, but I'm not sure the Ace reps should be considered an authority on the subject.
My small town Ace here in Brazil, Indiana has plenty of Traegers, and does have Weber gas grills and an occasional kettle. When I asked one of the owners about the SmokeFire a couple years ago, she said something sideways about why they didn’t have one. They never have had one on the floor. There is a big Ace in Plainfield near Indianapolis. They have a very large selection of Weber grills and accessories, but not one SmokeFire to be seen.😟

Back