New Searwood pic.

I recently purchased a Sear+ and missed out on the initial SF issues so I can’t relate. But I get your point.

I think the Genesis grease management is great but unsure how it would work with pellets. You’d still have all the ash and grease clumping together vs traditional pellet smokers that separate the two. Possibly still fire issues? Either way, probably better than the current design although I think most of us now use drip pans to prevent fires from happening.

As long as it retains the flavorizer bars, Weber will still have something that differs from other pellet cookers.

Purely guessing here, but the photo shows the temperature set to 600 F. I’m guessing the ability to sear will remain.

Call me the odd man out, but I think 2 wheels is a nice tribute to the Weber heritage. I’m guessing that’s what they‘re going for. Will be functional? Sure. Will it be easier to move around? Probably not. I can only speak for myself - but - the only times I’ve had to move my pellet grill are typically when I end up spilling pellets pouring them into the current rear hopper, or clearing snow from around the cooker. Otherwise my Smokefire doesn‘t move much.

I know some will disagree, and whlie I appreciate the rear hopper attempt…it’s not great. Whether you’ve added tape to the ramp to help your pellets along, or you’ve installed the upgraded ramp - there is no good reason anyone who bought a Smokefire should have had to alter anything inside the hopper. Same goes for replacing the 2 piece auger to the 1 piece.

Humour me if only for a moment. Imagine you buy a brand new vehicle and when you go to add gasoline, it doesn’t flow to the gas tank as designed. Further, the engine isn’t working as is should. Now imagine you call the manufacturer and they concur that there’s an issue…and they decide the best way to resolve it, is to send you all new parts for your vehicle and it’s engine, with the expectation that you’ll be the one to replace all the problem parts. Hilarious right? But that’s exactly what Weber did to Gen 1 Smokefire consumers. Sure, most of us did what was necessary and made the best of it… but there’s nothing that will convince me that the onus should have been on the customer to complete the repairs. Great customer service or not. The reason this happened, above all else, was because the design was awful. Period.

So, back to the vehicle analogy. You go ahead and complete your repairs. Now you have a healthy dose of paranoia every time you drive, so you pull over every few miles to make sure gas isn’t leaking. You also pop the hood to make sure everything is working as intended. You finally make your way home and head inside to relax. But every now and then you head out to your driveway or garage to make sure the vehicle is actually shut off. Here’s hoping it starts next time you need to use it.

Sound reasonable? This is the Smokefire experience that I bet many of you can relate to.

Now that being said, I love my Smokefire. It does what it needs to and I’ve been fortunate not to have had many issues. I decided to take the leap, and love my grill.. warts and all.

But, I for one, am pleased to see a traditional side hopper where gravity does the work.

What I do find interesting is why anyone would be against having a Genesis / Spirit like grease management system, tailored to the Searwood. The Genesis and Spirit have probably been the best selling grills for a number of years. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a single complaint on how those units manage grease. When you have a recipe that works…you use it.
Great analogy. Like you, I love my Gen1 EX6 even with it's warts. I did modify the hopper before I put pellets in it and I shouldn't have had to but Bruno and the others had me sensitized to the problem. I'm fine with the pellet hopper. One thing about the side pellet hopper that I, and many others, experienced. The "cone of death" is a clearly visible cone when pellets have been feeding for a good time. My Camp Chef flamed out because I didn't push down the remaining several pounds of pellets piled up along the 4 walls. The solution is to wax/polish the interior or push the pellets down after several hours of cooking. It's not near as insidious ad the pellet voids that occur in the Smokefire.

I’ve had the Masterbuilt 560 for almost 4 years. I still see the larger 1050 at Home Depot but the 560 is discontinued. Although the Gravity imparts some great flavor it’s not built to last. My controller failed and the main grill chamber is deteriorating. I was scraping the interior with a plastic putty knife and it went through to the outside. It’s very thin metal and in hindsight I shouldn’t have used it for high temp grilling. It goes to 700F but just not built to withstand it.
LSS makes replacements. I never go over 500° on my 800. That is why I wish Weber would get in the game.

LSS makes replacements. I never go over 500° on my 800. That is why I wish Weber would get in the game.
Not gonna happen Masterbuilt had the patent and they are owned along with Chargriller, Kamado Joe and many other grills are owned by Middleby which is a huge company. We had this discussion a year or so ago IMO the market would not be big enought for Weber anyway and they have their own issues and need to spend wisely to say the least. No need to get into a patent lawsuit to begin with and Middleby which is a 4 billion dollar company in sales would not be someone to trifle with.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen Masterbuilt had the patent and they are owned along with Chargriller, Kamado Joe and many other grills are owned by Middleby which is a huge company. We had this discussion a year or so ago IMO the market would not be big enought for Weber anyway and they have their own issues and need to spend wisely to say the least. No need to get into a patent lawsuit to begin with and Middleby which is a 4 billion dollar company in sales would not be someone to trifle with.

There are other gravity fed smokers though. More expensive but you get what you pay for.

Very interesting, cool link, Brian. I am not sure what I think the market penetration will be on these. The fact that there already is an entire cottage industry of supplying stainless reinforcement parts for these grills tells you that Weber wasn’t alone in skimping on quality for their internal parts.

The deterioration of gravity feed grills is not the sudden failures attributed to the SmokeFire, but it may still explain their current low profile at the big box stores.

Very interesting, cool link, Brian. I am not sure what I think the market penetration will be on these. The fact that there already is an entire cottage industry of supplying stainless reinforcement parts for these grills tells you that Weber wasn’t alone in skimping on quality for their internal parts.

The deterioration of gravity feed grills is not the sudden failures attributed to the SmokeFire, but it may still explain their current low profile at the big box stores.
It's the entire grill in my opinion. It's pretty cheaply built all around IMO. Masterbuilt is not exactly known for building high end, quality products though. I know I can get some replacement bits but I just don't want to invest in it. I kind of knew what I was getting into.

I was tempted by the Masterbuilt too, many times. However, their reputation curbed the temptation to play with a product that I thought looked fun and innovative. If you can really only use it for a smoker, because it will wear out in months at high temps then it seems there’s a lot of better options.

As far as the Starwood, I can’t wait to see the inside. After the wobbly legs and pellet feed issues of the original, I like what we see so far. However, the truth comes when we see the inside. The biggest thing I’m questioning that’s been leaked is the new grates. If the Searwood still has good searing/grilling the porcelain enameled grates probably are going to hold up long.

Great article, Greg! One thing for sure is that we grill fans have an ever-growing variety of options. I admire MB for recognizing their issues and trying to do better. I do think that $1,500 may be a hard sell, though. Not sure I wouldn't rather have an unused or lightly used older model and use the money saved to install all the stainless reinforcements offered by the company @Joe Anshien posted:

This and all their other pieces:

You could spend quite a bit, but probably still less than $1,500. You would have real stainless in virtually all the weak spots. I still think high heat grilling would need to be a rare event.

I'm sat on the fence, waiting for more details about the Searwood before I commit to a new smoker/BBQ. I don't want to have to hang around, keeping an eye on my smoker, like I have to with my WSM. My son has a MasterBuilt, which mainly smokes on, but has used it to sear etc. He's not had any complaints, but only had it this year.

More on the MB XT model;

I'm sat on the fence, waiting for more details about the Searwood before I commit to a new smoker/BBQ. I don't want to have to hang around, keeping an eye on my smoker, like I have to with my WSM. My son has a MasterBuilt, which mainly smokes on, but has used it to sear etc. He's not had any complaints, but only had it this year.

More on the MB XT model;

Mine was fun while it lasted but had several issues including a dead controller. I'd recommend not using it for high heat cooking.

More on the MB XT model;

Smart move. Once Weber announces it, we should learn a lot more. My interest has gone up over the last month.

One doesn’t have to sit and keep an eye on current Smokefire. I wouldn’t imagine one would have to with the updated model either.
You're right. We don't have to sit and baby the Smokefire but there's so much disinformation out there that folks considering one are leery. I'm starting to think that Jon Tofte was right when he said the change of name might be a marketing move to get away from the Smokefire name. If they continue developing the same open cook chamber design then this will be a similar situation to all of the changes we saw when the Stealth was released. Every design change was an improvement over the EX grills.. I'm hopeful that this is the continued evolution of their pellet grill.

Back