New Grills Announced!

I get that Steve. Either would be cool. But I highlighted the silver b for a couple reasons. First I think it is a little more modern. And I think it is actually simpler and less expensive to produce than the Genesis 1000.
I guarantee they are simpler and less expensive to make and they are still fantastic grills. I still consider them to be the first attempt by Weber to cheapen their gas grill line. I also prefer the looks of the Genesis 1000 vs. the Silver B, but that's 100% personal preference on my part. So yes, either one would be totally fine with me.

Bruce, I don't think it would kill your business. You would need to watch your "cores" so you can keep your prices to about half a new equivalent. Which is what I do with the mixers. I still sell exactly what people can find on the shelf brand new, but I offer it to them for half the cost of new with same warranty as new.

If Weber were to bring back production of the exact same 2005 Genesis Silver B, I would be really interested to see what price they ask and then how well they sold. I would think they could produce and sell them considerably cheaper than the current blinged out Genesis.
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely love the Genesis Silver B, and I'm probably about to stir up a hornets nest of comments and replies that I likely can't answer.

I owned a 2001 model up until last year when the frame and cookbox finally gave up on me, and it was the family gas grill I learned how to really grill on before I began working at Weber in 2010, and it served me very well. I made everything from burgers and steaks to whole turkeys and hams on it. But my favorite thing to make on it was rotisserie duck. I loved that left to right burner configuration for rotisserie cooking, but I feel a lot of my love for that burner setup is simply because it is what I was used to using. I only say that because I've had equal results on my 2013 Spirit E-310 and my Spirit II E-310, both which have the front mounted knob design.

We may have changed the gas grill game when came out with the Genesis in 1985, but the game changed on us a little when front mounted control knobs became the preferred choice amongst consumers, and I think it would be a hard sell to retailers to take a huge chance on a grill design that's aesthetically not of this era. Both i terms of the control knob layout, as well as the open cart design.

Could a "Genesis Classic" find a place in the market? Probably.

Would it be big? Probably not. I'd be shocked if would could sell millions of units. A 2005 Genesis Silver B LP had a minimum advertised price of $499. In 2024 dollars it would be just north of $800.

You've got to get a retailer to take a chance on both grills below and make the story that a consumer is going to pick option A over option B for the same price.

1706208690347.png

1706208658692.png
Would it be cool? Heck yea! Although, I feel like we are talking to ourselves in an echo chamber a bit about our love for the design Genesis 1000-5000 and Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum models, and we make up a very small fraction of the overall gas grill market.

Very good analysis, John. Especially for the wood slat grills, I think we are comparing people's reactions to a beautifully restored Jaguar vs. a Tesla (or other modern, stylish gas/hybrid/electric vehicle). People love the Jag, yet most buyers would not be interested in one as a daily driver. The one big difference is that the old Genesis is so rugged and reliable.

Two things conspired to kill the "true" Genesis. I think the biggest was mfg cost to make those long burners. The next was people who whined about lack of a side table.
The original was and always will be superior for versatility. Weber finally "broke the mold" and made something innovative rather than "me too". Now, it's a "me too" product. Yeah maybe a little higher quality but no different.

Yah, while I love to think "what if", I understand the decision to go front control on the gas grills.
I have also wondered "What if" weber could put the knobs on the front and wrap the lines to the orifices around to the sides behind all the facade. Kind of like they do with the Q3xx grills. I suppose that would introduce some extra complexity and maybe even some problem areas, but it would combine the best of both worlds.

Two things conspired to kill the "true" Genesis. I think the biggest was mfg cost to make those long burners. The next was people who whined about lack of a side table.
The side table was never a problem for me as my Silver B had a fold up table on both sides. Much more area than the new grills. It is a feature they should add back.

The side table was never a problem for me as my Silver B had a fold up table on both sides. Much more area than the new grills. It is a feature they should add back.
Wasn't for me either. But then my first was a Genesis 2 (then modded to become 2000 then a 3000). In any case I never understood the "issue". Also someone mentioned putting the controls in the front but with XWays burners. Well someone actually did. DCS (when it was really DCS going back a number of years). They had EW burners, under a lava rock bed and then went so far as to make a "rotisserie setting where the burners and lava rock bed tilted up at the rear and allowed the center of the grill to be open to a grease catch and have a "bank" of heat behind the food. Pretty cool. Actually saw one. It was all butchered up but darn near bought it as a project

What did a 2005 Silver C sell for if the B was $499. In 2024 dollars it would be just north of $800 as John said so the C had to be at least 100 dollars more so assume it would be north of 900 today. Just like people today who complan the Webers are to expensive they were saying the same thing I suspect in 2005. It was not for everyone then and today its not for everyone.

Even I prefer N/S which is what 80 percent if I had to guess new buyers want maybe higher. So I don't see a market for E/W its time has come and gone.

Nobody would be in business if their grills lasted 20 years. I guess if you charged 5k for a grill you might be cause you would probably make more money on replacement parts over the years if you wanted to stick with OEM parts.

Brian is right, but I think when we say "last for 20 years" we really mean that the core foundation of the grill will last that long (or even longer) if you care for it and are willing to do a serious overhaul several times during that period. I am sure plenty of owners back then couldn't be bothered - just like now. But for those who were/are willing, the old Genesis grills can go that long readily enough.

The difference I see now is that I don't have much confidence that the newer models will have a core foundation left to rebuild on by the time a first overhaul is in order, unless kept in Rich's garage in Arizona.

The difference I see now is that I don't have much confidence that the newer models will have a core foundation left to rebuild on by the time a first overhaul is in order, unless kept in Rich's garage in Arizona.
I think if you bought the new Summit you probably will have that core foundation to rebuild on but its going to take along time to find out I guess the enclosed cabinet could still be a crap shoot but other than that you got an aluminum cookbox, all stainless inside on the parts that count, the lid sides are aluminum I am guessing the lid itself would not be an issue but its 4k or more. The warranty to me is outstanding as it should be for a grill that costs that much but if you want to run 20 years you got to pay up. :) How many people care enough about running a grill for 20 years to pay that price I don't know the answer to that.

Warranty Information​

Cookbox15 year, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)Lid assembly15 year, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)Stainless steel burner tubes10 years, no rust through/burn throughStainless steel cooking grates10 years, no rust through/burn throughStainless steel FLAVORIZER bars10 years, no rust through/burn throughWEBER CONNECT components3 yearsAll remaining parts5 years

Yah, THat is a good warranty. I think the cook box is the big deal. The second big problem on the old Summits was the frame/cabinet. Even though that might still rust out, it will likely be useable for ten years or more and if they honor their warranty, it should be replaceable under that for 15 years if it getss too bad. Beyond that, at least it can be safely repaired by a DIY guy.

The problem right now is that it is a new and somewhat big redesign. It could introduce unexpected problems 3-5 or more years down the road. That is why I always hate to buy first year runs of any major product. We shall see.

Does anyone know the thickness of the cook box on the new Summits?

My point is that if you gave a person a new Genesis Silver B and a new Genesis II E310 and they are treated the same and used equally, the Silver B will outlast the Genesis II 9 out of 10 times.
They would last the same if treated the same, well cared for.

If they are both abused and left in the sticks, then yeah old will outlast most likely.

But then, what does “last” mean?

Does anyone have any intel on when these will be ready for purchase? I’m looking to have a company overhaul my backyard this spring and put in an outdoor kitchen with the new Summit. But they’ll need it on site to build it in.

Any thoughts on the Slate griddle? How does the rust proof griddle work?
Consider me intrigued as rust was the reason I don’t have one. It will have to live outside.

Any thoughts on the Slate griddle? How does the rust proof griddle work?
Consider me intrigued as rust was the reason I don’t have one. It will have to live outside.
Well if it's made of solid stainless or at the least like a tri ply pan, stainless outer layers sandwiching aluminum core. That would be rustproof

Back