New Genesis 2022

There's a larger Sear Zone so you can sear multiple steaks at the same time. An expandable upper cooking grate for two-level cooking. Enlarged prep/service table on the right side. Improved pull-out grease tray. Some higher end models will have motion-sensitive lighting of the grill surface. There's also an improved system of grilling accessories called Weber CRAFTED Outdoor Kitchen Collection that replaces Weber Gourmet BBQ System.
Can you share more info about the larger sear zone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you share more info about the larger sear zone?
Let me go back and correct the way I wrote that.

Weber says, "Also featuring Weber’s largest & hottest sear zone..." and also says, "Sear multiple steaks at once on the extra-large sear zone."

I shouldn't have used the word "larger" because I don't know that these grills have a larger sear zone than current Genesis II grills.

Heck even the big large frame old Genesis is off balance. Look at a 2xxx or 3xxx. A point that does make me kinda nuts when I install it's cover and the cover logo is off to one side. Maybe from now on I will put the cover on bassackward so I don't have to look at the stupid logo. So I will defend the off balance "look" of the new grill but nothing else. Because IMO since 2011 they've been steadily cheapend and Chineseumed to death and not truly a "Genesis"

As far as that larger prep table to the right, after 20 yeas of a Silver B, I am used to having everything on the left.

Have to agree with Chris that there isn't anything out there that the big box stores sell that's better than the Weber's.
I'm definitely not in the market for a new gasser as I have three now.
But the smart grill I find interesting for better temperature control would be nice to have. We use our NG E320 in the summer for an oven, having precise temperature control would be a big plus.

Have to agree with Chris that there isn't anything out there that the big box stores sell that's better than the Weber's.
I'm definitely not in the market for a new gasser as I have three now.
But the smart grill I find interesting for better temperature control would be nice to have. We use our NG E320 in the summer for an oven, having precise temperature control would be a big plus.
Lowes sells the lower end Napoleons, 15 year warranty, they look pretty nice

I would fall in a middle of the road category. I would still way rather have a new Weber "tech" grill - despite the thin metal - than a Charbroil, Nexgrill, etc. I don't see myself spending that much for a new gas grill, but if I were in that category, the higher price for the Weber would be worth it to me. I would just know that I wouldn't be getting a 20-year grill and that I had better put extra effort into keeping it clean and dry.

@Michael Condra, don't let us old-schoolers make you feel bad about buying a brand-new Weber. At the same time, there is sound basis for our recommendations to consider restoring - or buying a restored - old-style, classic Genesis. The choice is a little like comparing a '67 Jaguar XKE to a new Tesla. Each has its merits and demerits. At least a classic Genesis won't give you all the maintenance issues like an old Jag, but I also think the new "Tech" Weber and the Tesla won't be repairable in less than 10 years.

Personally, I would rather have THIS Genesis (restored by member @DanJC):

Black Genesis Restored.jpeg

Last edited:
I would fall in a middle of the road category. I would still way rather have a new Weber "tech" grill - despite the thin metal - than a Charbroil, Nexgrill, etc. I don't see myself spending that much for a new gas grill, but if I were in that category, the higher price for the Weber would be worth it to me. I would just know that I wouldn't be getting a 20-year grill and that I had better put extra effort into keeping it clean and dry.

@Michael Condra, don't let us old-schoolers make you feel bad about buying a brand-new Weber. At the same time, there is sound basis for our recommendations to consider restoring - or buying a restored - old-style, classic Genesis. The choice is a little like comparing a '67 Jaguar XKE to a new Tesla. Each has its merits and demerits. At least a classic Genesis won't give you all the maintenance issues like an old Jag, but I also think the new "Tech" Weber and the Tesla won't be repairable in less than 10 years.

Personally, I would rather have THIS Genesis (restored by member @DanJC):

View attachment 42867
The early Webers like the one pictured remind me so much of the Woodies (cars with bodies made with wood), with the impracticality of driving down the road in what amounts to a piece of furniture being roughly equivalent to the impracticality of keeping a piece of fine furniture in an outdoor environment.

My first impression of the new grill was formed from the first picture in the first post in this thread. There is not a lot of contrast between the shroud and the cart and once I saw the lid apparently offset to the right side I can't unsee it. I call it my "Where's Waldo?" moment, where I see something that looks "off" somehow, and then I wonder what is wrong with this picture. The extended table sticking off to the right reminds me of someone signaling a left turn, but of course only us old farts remember when some cars didn't have turn signals (remember when the early VWs had semaphores?) and how to make hand signals when driving.

XKE. Maintenance yep. Cool yep. Guaranteed to get hot, smoke, broil, sear, rotisserie, low and slow, hot and fast, ...yes

Blue, charcoal grey, gun metal grey, primrose, brg, taupe, ...

Only question
Hatchback or convertible

I still want to see a new one in person,
feel how solid it is and such ....
but I have no regrets about redoing my

AmkCnr5l.jpg

Yeah, Dave, I will be interested in your impressions. I really want to do some honest caliper measurements before I say anything definitive. However, the aluminum firebox on the new "Tech" Genesis certainly SEEMED thinner than on a 300 series. While the style is too tech/flash for me, like anything you get used to it. I don't really mind the uneven shelf size (which, as others here have said, is not really different from the first Genesis). In fact, I think an extra wide shelf has its positive points. I am still an old-style Weber guy. I consider the "sidewinder" 300 grills to be the very last of the original Weber idea, but I had a front control one, with sear burner, just like yours. It was a very capable cooker. They just failed in making legs that fill up with water and rust and a bottom cabinet of painted steel doomed to rust out. So, you have to be extra careful with them. But, I have seen ones that have NOT rusted out because they were kept in dry places and not left out in the elements.

The early Webers like the one pictured remind me so much of the Woodies (cars with bodies made with wood), with the impracticality of driving down the road in what amounts to a piece of furniture being roughly equivalent to the impracticality of keeping a piece of fine furniture in an outdoor environment.
Ed,
That is certainly true, but it is also true that most any mainstream modern grill - typically decked out with cheap stainless and mostly painted steel - won't hold up in an outdoor environment, either! :oops:

BILT®.​

https://biltapp.com/instructions/weber/

Genesis 435 LP Smart Grill SPX-435, SE-SPX-435. (for example)
View attachment 42863
Going through the assembly instructions reveals a couple of interesting features.
  • Batteries for the motion-sensitive grill grate lights reside in the left end of the lid handle. Maybe the light bulbs are integrated into the back side of the grill handle? That would be a much cleaner approach than the clunky screw-on grill handle lights and the chunky Grill-Out Handle light shown here.

20210503_60904c0868316.jpg

• In one of Oleg's photos at the top of this thread, it shows the left side open with a red container attached to the inside of the door. This area is called the "Side Storage Cabinet". The red container is called the "Side Storage Shelf". It's a functional storage area that also conceals the side burner plumbing. There's also a "Side Storage Pad" that installs on the floor of this cabinet. I assume it protects the floor and prevents grates stored on end from sliding around.
2021-11-24 21.30.03.jpg

• There's a shallow L-shaped smoke box accessory that comes with some models. It's placed on top of the Flavorizer bars over the two right-most burners and Sear Station burner.
  • There appears to be two hooks on the outside right side of the cabinet under the work surface to hang the right cooking grate when using any of the Weber CRAFTED accessories. There are additional hooks inside the main storage cabinet for storing other Weber CRAFTED accessories.

I've published my blog post on the new Weber CRAFTED Outdoor Kitchen Collection, a new accessories system for 2022 Genesis grills and someday other Weber grills and smokers.

Very informative write up Chris. Will be interesting to see how the new system is accepted by the consumers.

Now that Weber is going to the temperature controlled grill, is this the end of the two zone cooks? Unless there is something in the software that allows for individual burner control, I would say yes, at least with the new grill.

Last edited:
I think the new accessories system is improvement over the GBS. It allows these attachments to be a more reasonable size. People love accessories. I got a Blackstone for Christmas and I love that thing. It's more or less completely replaced my gas grill. They are hugely popular. Yes you can kind of griddle on a gas grill but what I found with my Genesis 1000 was the burners just weren't enough. I had to close the lid to get a griddle plate up to temp and the temp would rapidly dissipate if I left the hood open. Maybe the sear burner gives it enough oomph to effectively griddle or use the wok and not have to shut the lid. This system potentially gives you versatility well beyond what any Blackstone could do albeit at a much higher cost.

Now that Weber is going to the temperature controlled grill, is this the end of the two zone cooks? Unless there is something in the software that allows for individual burner control, I would say yes, at least with the new grill.
Where did I miss that? There’s multiple threads going on these new grills and I must have missed something. The 2021 smart grill was still manual temp control and the new model still has manual knobs in these pictures. The smarts so far have been just in temp monitoring and cooking guidance from what I’ve seen.

Back