New Genesis 2022

Now that Weber is going to the temperature controlled grill, is this the end of the two zone cooks? Unless there is something in the software that allows for individual burner control, I would say yes, at least with the new grill.
I think that is nothing more than a digital oven thermometer.

Where did I miss that? There’s multiple threads going on these new grills and I must have missed something. The 2021 smart grill was still manual temp control and the new model still has manual knobs in these pictures. The smarts so far have been just in temp monitoring and cooking guidance from what I’ve seen.
You are correct, there is no automatic temperature control on Weber grills.

BILT®.​

https://biltapp.com/instructions/weber/

Genesis 435 LP Smart Grill SPX-435, SE-SPX-435. (for example)
View attachment 42863
Personally I think this is a beautiful looking grill with a nice modern stylish look to it that people will appreciate and I think it will sell well. There is plenty of money out there, the cheap throw away gas grills will never go away but there are people who will still pay up for Weber. Just like in 1999 when people spent $500 for a 1000 or whatever it was not like that was chump change in those days.

Yah, us old timer purists need to remember that we are no longer the target market. They are after the younger crowd obviously. There is still a large part of the old timers that will be completely open to the new design as well. Weber has been doing this (Genesis gas grills) for almost 4 decades now and while we may think they are losing touch and market share, they are still pumping out a whole bunch of grills every year in the face increasing competition.

Personally I think this is a beautiful looking grill with a nice modern stylish look to it that people will appreciate and I think it will sell well. There is plenty of money out there, the cheap throw away gas grills will never go away but there are people who will still pay up for Weber. Just like in 1999 when people spent $500 for a 1000 or whatever it was not like that was chump change in those days.
Back in 2001. I bought a special edition Silver B for something like $650. That is about $1000 is today's money. Today, you can get a Spirit II E-310 with the same grilling area for less than $600. How many people would pay $1000 for a Silver B vs the Spirit? Weber still makes good grills and the value may actually be better now.

Brian and Bruce,
You guys are both right. I don't at all like the thin aluminum I felt when I examined the firebox on the "Tech" Genesis I saw at Lowes. And the acre of thin stainless shelving (I would like to know what grade; I didn't try a magnet test.) didn't really appeal to me, either. But it's true that at least certainly I am over the hill, so my taste is not what Weber needs to worry about.

Like I mentioned, my 31-year-old son liked the new Genesis when I showed him a picture. I doubt he would ever want an old redhead with wood slats. That doesn't mean there isn't still a market for that, but it is shrinking. Same thing for cars. I think Lincoln could still sell big, long Town Cars like my father-in-law's 20 year and still running one. But Lincoln wants to get far away from that image to appeal to the market that is growing, not the one that is shrinking.

Weber is just trying to find a way to sell more grills. I wish better construction materials would factor into that equation, but I can't fault them for styling for my son's demographic instead of mine.

Where did I miss that? There’s multiple threads going on these new grills and I must have missed something. The 2021 smart grill was still manual temp control and the new model still has manual knobs in these pictures. The smarts so far have been just in temp monitoring and cooking guidance from what I’ve seen.
No, you've not missed anything. These new 2022 Genesis grills still have manually controlled burners, so two-zone cooking is still available. It's Char-Broil that's coming out with an oven-style control where you dial up the grill to 550*F and it maintains that single temp.

No, you've not missed anything. These new 2022 Genesis grills still have manually controlled burners, so two-zone cooking is still available. It's Char-Broil that's coming out with an oven-style control where you dial up the grill to 550*F and it maintains that single temp.
Or so they claim, I can’t wait for the onslaught of complaints saying “OMG, my grill is having temperature swings of 50°.” Lol.

Or so they claim, I can’t wait for the onslaught of complaints saying “OMG, my grill is having temperature swings of 50°.”

Yes, that may very well be true, especially since people are bound to stick their own air probes on the cooking grate to double check.

Like my kitchenaid wall oven?

This is what drives me crazy about people putting digital probes on cooking grates so they can get temp right next to the meat. Hardly anyone does this when roasting a prime rib or baking a cake in the oven, but they insist on absolutely perfect, to-the-second temp readings in a smoker where frankly the temp fluctuation is much more dynamic at any given moment than in a kitchen oven.

And to address this point, someone (I can't say who) is coming out with a probe thermometer where the air probe is switchable between current temperature OR average temperature over the past xx minutes. That's probably what Char-Broil will be doing, if they're smart.

Yes, that may very well be true, especially since people are bound to stick their own air probes on the cooking grate to double check.

This is what drives me crazy about people putting digital probes on cooking grates so they can get temp right next to the meat. Hardly anyone does this when roasting a prime rib or baking a cake in the oven, but they insist on absolutely perfect, to-the-second temp readings in a smoker where frankly the temp fluctuation is much more dynamic at any given moment than in a kitchen oven.

And to address this point, someone (I can't say who) is coming out with a probe thermometer where the air probe is switchable between current temperature OR average temperature over the past xx minutes. That's probably what Char-Broil will be doing, if they're smart.
Amen!

Hold up, hold up! Us old farts didn't grow up with microwave ovens or digital whatevers, but our kids did. If you are going to get the young un's involved in grilling, you're going to have to give them something that involves their ever-present electronic devices and something that they can share on social media. It's just the way it is.

EDIT: I oughtta blur out his face and post a pic of our 17yo grandson grilling burgers, his first cook outdoors. Says it all for me.

20211108_130437.jpg

Last edited:
I do not know how I got along all these years. Over its 20 years of service, at medium heat my Silver B maintained a 350 degree temp according to the lid thermometer. The recipes and suggested times and settings from the Weber cookbook were pretty much spot on. My new grill seem to perform the same. I feel it is largely gimmickries to appeal to the new generation.

Yeah I have to say both my grills (the Wolf and the Genesis) are FAR FAR and away better and more stable than my POS LG stove. Lesson here for anyone wanting a new stove. Never buy an LG. Actually any LG appliance. Absolutely best thing I ever had was our Bosch dual fuel range. That thing held temps like a rock. Looking back even investing $1000 to repair it would have been worth it :(

I have to say both my grills (the Wolf and the Genesis) are FAR FAR and away better and more stable than my POS LG stove. Lesson here for anyone wanting a new stove. Never buy an LG. Actually any LG appliance. Absolutely best thing I ever had was our Bosch dual fuel range. That thing held temps like a rock. Looking back even investing $1000 to repair it would have been worth it :(
That's a pretty interesting perspective, Larry. I know a lot of people who stand in line insisting on LG over any other brand. I don't know from my own experience except for my washer (which replaced a disappointing Samsung washer). It has worked fine so far and survived a move from FL to IN. What brands for washers and dryers would you go for? Refrigerators?

I have had good luck with Samsung washer and dryer. Also we had excellent luck with our old Bosch Axxis dryer (it was actually made in Germany). But the Samsung products have been ok. No real issues. Otherwise I buy Whirlpool branded (KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Amana, etc) things. We have an Electrolux/Frigidaire dishwasher and while it's been overall fairly reliable I would never buy another. At least most if not all Whirlpool stuff is still built in US. Our dishwasher is made in China, stove made in Mexico IIRC, and our Samsung appliances (washer/dryer) made in Vietnam. Having a hard time wrapping my head around that as a boomer.
But, I cannot wait for that LG stove to just die. I despise cooking on it and in it.

Yeah I have to say both my grills (the Wolf and the Genesis) are FAR FAR and away better and more stable than my POS LG stove. Lesson here for anyone wanting a new stove. Never buy an LG. Actually any LG appliance. Absolutely best thing I ever had was our Bosch dual fuel range. That thing held temps like a rock. Looking back even investing $1000 to repair it would have been worth it :(
Larry, we had an LG stove we bought when we built our new home in AZ. We bought it at sears and within one year a couple of the burner knobs cracked and wouldn't stay on. It was under warranty, so I called sears and a tech came out and decided to replace all 5 of them. The tech got on his laptop to order them, he looks at me and says that the 5 plastic knobs would be $500. The stupid knobs were $100 each sure glad it was under warranty.
Last LG we ever owned.

I just bought a new LG fridge....ughhhh.

Back