New Addition to the Family, rehab advice appreciated - Weber Genesis E-310

I don't think your aluminum idea is the best. The stuff you got is too thick. You may want to g down to 18ga or even smaller. Bare in mind aluminum and steel don't like each other and being in proximity will hasten corrosion through galvanic action.

I don't think your aluminum idea is the best. The stuff you got is too thick. You may want to g down to 18ga or even smaller. Bare in mind aluminum and steel don't like each other and being in proximity will hasten corrosion through galvanic action.

I didn’t realize that, but thanks for pointing that out.
They also have similar piece in steel

Guess I should use that. Planned on using same primer and paint on whatever angle piece I end up using and SS bolts/nuts

Might be the better choice but I would go with no more than 1/16th" thickness. You will find the thicker harder to work with and more noticeable

Thanks, unfortunately not many options open this weekend that I know of. Wife is out of town and kids are at granny’s house so trying to knock out a lot of this work while I have the free time. It might be noticeable, but I can live with that

I painted the side table metal frame pieces with the high heat VHT Cast Iron paint. It won’t get hot enough to need the paint but I want to color to match the lid and firebox. Plus it gives it a nice texture

Don’t tell my better half, but I did cure in the oven and so far so good. Not too bad of a smell

1C0EC012-6653-487C-9862-FC84958C27D5.jpeg

I painted the side table metal frame pieces with the high heat VHT Cast Iron paint. It won’t get hot enough to need the paint but I want to color to match the lid and firebox. Plus it gives it a nice texture

Don’t tell my better half, but I did cure in the oven and so far so good. Not too bad of a smell

View attachment 1153
I won't say a word. But I'm not sure I would have the cojones to do that. :cool:

Hey guys, I'm going to buy new nuts and bolts all around for the grill. Is stainless steel the way to go, even for the ones inside the firebox...the ones that hold the firebox to the frame?

Also, would anyone happen to have a listing of all the nuts and bolts sizes for this model grill? Would save me a lot of work

Yep, stainless particularly in the fire box. If you are replacing them all, then you might as well get SS for them as well.
If you register your grill on Weber.com, it should give you the option to download the schematics of your grill and that would list the bolt sizes.

Yep, stainless particularly in the fire box. If you are replacing them all, then you might as well get SS for them as well.
If you register your grill on Weber.com, it should give you the option to download the schematics of your grill and that would list the bolt sizes.
I do have this model registered, I guess I just never noticed the bolt sizes on there... Thought it just said "hardware pack"...I'll check it out today

Shifting a little focus back to this guy since the market for buying grills has slowed.

I was thinking about it. And I decided to just slop on a half bottle of JB Weld to the rusted out area on the bad leg.
I've already used a cup brush on angle grinder to grind away surface rust, then used a VHT rust converter spray. Then applied a couple coats of VHT self etching primer.
The base of the caster was already stuck/molded into the leg. So I just left it in there. Mixed up JB Weld, and worked it into the bad areas, pressing it down into all the nooks and crannies. I'll let it set up for a day and see what it looks like.

If it looks strong enough, I'll just sand down and paint... Then get this thing assembled.

Thinking this will get the job done for a year or however long it takes me to find a donor grill to steal a good replacement leg.

Well, that is an interesting solution. Keep us posted. I will be real interested to see how that holds up after a couple months.

JB Weld feels hard as a rock! Still looks nice and shiney like when it was first applied. I think it'll do just fine as a temporary fix.
Now I just have to paint everything and then stain the wood and I can get this sucker in shape to grill some meat 👌

Slowly but surely making progress on this ol rust bucket. Put the first coat of paint on all the frame pieces.

I painted the frame in this color after using the VHT self etching primer (and rust converter when needed):
  • Rust-Oleum RUSTOLEUM 280133 Massey Ferguson Gray 12 oz Farm & Implement Spray Paint
I bought a 6 pack from Home Depot and shipped to store, much cheaper than buying from Amazon.
Also put some VHT clear coat on the side table pieces, A few weeks back I put on a couple layers of the VHT cast iron color high temp paint.

Just a few more pieces to paint / clear coat, then I'll start cutting up my wood pieces for floor board and side panel....then will stain the wood.
After than I'll be set to put this beast back together.

I noticed my pictures from earlier in this thread dissapeared. I'll try to post up some good before and after pictures when I get closer to finishing up.

Some progress shots. I’m putting cedar wood on the left side panel, back side panel and the floor board. Spacing them pretty wide apart so I get some nice air flow in the cabinet area.
Still a ways to go. Not done with any part of it, still putting a couple smaller boards on that side piece. I just wanted to get it roughly assembled just for a little motivation to finish this thing.

67D1C731-B525-4621-B193-9E1F87918360.jpegBB94617A-1EC7-4978-BB35-9B8EC5961853.jpeg

That works. Are you doing any cross bracing across the front and back to shore up the legs without the back and floor in place?

Back