New Addition to the Family, rehab advice appreciated - Weber Genesis E-310

I just picked a similar Genesis with all rotted panels and one rotted out post (missing wheel). I went through all these posts and learned lots of tips. Your restore was impressive and I could see how you'd only put all those hours and all that effort if it was a keeper (gift to dad). By my calculation, this was easily 50 hours of work.

I reached out to Weber this morning and inquired prices for the left frame and bottom panel. I'm enclosing the email for your delight:

1679525078771.png

Basically $430.00. I say this is still LESS than what Kyle in Woodstock spent on his (I calculate 50 hours of work at $25 = 1250 + 250 parts and equipment use = $1500. Restoring grills for our friends and family is a labor of love because he could have just pay Weber the $430 and be done with it.

I'm going to go with a homemade wood based solution but not as fancy or as nice as Kyle's. I could honor my grandpa and just screw a moving dolly to the bottom, true country. We'll see.

58E30DD5-E067-4630-93A6-97761DBEBAAA.jpeg

AA01E288-D62C-487C-B8DA-D5E19975BC40.jpeg0E811CBC-0FCD-4D95-87D6-5CC61F0F2013.jpeg

Yah, you get the idea of what I am saying. Just be careful to check the other three legs before you go too far, they might need some love too.

@Willard have you read this thread ? https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-2009-restoration.89572/

There may be some ideas there if you haven't read through it.

here's the teaser pic of the finished rehab

6ff6e983-57ab-4dc1-85bd-4f954c957833-jpeg.42931

Hi DanHoo, long time, good to see you.

Yes, I read that whole thread. Both of those restores came out nice and show the significant effort put into them.

Another donor grill is also the answer but the problem with those Genesis is that they all suffer from the same problems.

Yep, you can only stock pile so many cook boxes, lids and shelves. If you cant find any decent frames to put them on, it doesn't do you any good.
It's too bad you can't just use the frame from a Silver B/C to rebuild those, they were the last of the E/W grills and still somewhat attractive.

Yep, it is amazing how a grill from the 1980's can still be standing strong when you have these grills that are less than ten years old rusted out to the point of falling over.

Since I'm going to keep this grill for personal use, I'm thinking of the "hip surgery" idea in the picture. I have the piece of wood and I have the caster wheel. I'll be using screws to attach that piece of 2x4 wood to the bottom metal floor.

The red bar on the picture is another piece of wood I'm thinking of screwing to the side with one inch sticking in the front in order to mount the left door.

Please let me know if there are more efficient ways of doing these two things (wheel and door mount). Again, I'm keeping this grill for when I have large groups (Memorial day, parties, etc.) and I do understand that this is a very "country" way and not the usual high quality setups worthy of this group of devoted gentlemen.

grill_hip_surgery.JPG

Willard, "whatever works". But I would be concerned that the block of wood fastened to the bottom of the floor pan is going to simply trap more moisture between it and the floor pan which will greatly accelerate the already bad rust problem.

Does anyone have an affordable source other than Weber for floor pans for the Weber Genesis E310’s?

Last I heard, they were running about $75 to $80 best price....but that was last year.

Weber, I believe. Beg for a discount if you call them up. They are always going to quote their full price. Ask them for a discount. Seems they all have the authority to make a discount.

I just got a new floor for a Summit S470 that was quoted at $165, but they gave it to me for $112.

Back