New Addition to the Family, rehab advice appreciated - Weber Genesis E-310

I just paint without primer on the cook box and end caps. But, I use Rustoleum and it doesn't require primer.
Also, I would not suggest the clear coat unless you want a very glossy finish.

Thanks. The clear coat is a Satin finish, one step up from Flat....really only reason I planned on using it was for add protection against scratches and scuffs. I'll get the paint on and see how it looks before making the call on that

Hmmm, well I had a lot more almost used up cans of paint when I thought I had full cans :mad:

Anyways...so I ended up doing 1 coat of the primer, 1 light coat of paint and a 2nd medium coat of paint. Seems to have covered well, but I'd have liked to do a 3rd coat of paint....so I'm going to put some clear coat on there and hoping that'll get the job done. I really like the texture that this VHT paint gives to the surface of the grill. Kind of a light texture to it, something that I never seem to get with the Rustoleum brand.

Also wanted to mention. If you're buying this VHT paint, or really any paint. The prices for me are much higher on Amazon. Check a local auto parts store or even Home Depot and choose Ship to Store. It's like $8.99 this way instead of the current $15/can price on Amazon.

Last edited:
Here it is after 1 primer, 2 coats paint and 2 coats of clear. Pictures look a little odd, not very good lighting in my garage.

I’ll post more pictures tomorrow after it dries and I get everything all bolted back together. I'll roll it outside for pictures.
Cannot wait to get this beast back together and fired up

50DC9ED9-E9FF-4139-A4D1-611BD8A0B9B2.jpegB93D7167-43B7-4AC1-BCBF-35F85C912147.jpeg9D9D58B6-809B-4176-827F-A2EA25E8F8DE.jpegBB4246C7-FB25-41AB-8BAF-7D61B0FC2B3A.jpeg5A2F0330-0C87-4D0F-A639-DB17A5D1FCA4.jpeg115F4C6F-E678-4A0D-970D-1B239C892328.jpeg

Looks to me like it needs some more coats of paint, but it could just be the lighting.

Here's some pictures of the final product. Heating up the grill now to burn on the new paint.

I like the way it turned out, but if I had to do this again I would likely not do it. Haha.
I'm giving it to my father and he is excited to be getting it.

The only reason I grinded out the inside of the firebox was because the previous owner got some spray paint in there, ugh. I grinded out most of the firebox and inside of the lid endcaps, but mainly hit the painted areas.

This grill has the RCPlanebuyer flavor bars on it and some QuliMetal SS grates.

I have all the materials to add a rack and hooks on the back, but not sure my dad will use that. So I'll talk to him and we might just add another strip of wood to the back.

I'll snap some more pictures later today after the sun goes down a little. Brightness is kind of playing tricks with the colors on the pictures

5D7462B4-DC0B-47B2-851B-7897A7E1D646.jpeg

20200515_141701_HDR.jpg20200515_141707_HDR.jpg20200515_141715_HDR.jpg20200515_141723_HDR.jpg20200515_141735_HDR.jpg20200515_143250_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Kudos to you, Kyle, for sticking it out and bringing her home! That was a pretty tall order. It will be a great cooker for years to come, as others have also said.

If nothing else, you probably learned a few tricks along the way. One thing for certain: no one is likely to say to you, "You will never get that grill to look good!"

This looks amazing.

I found this thread Googling because I have a grill of the same model in need of some refurbishing, although there's no weird spray paint inside the firebox and it has SS grates already.

Did you keep your measurements for how long the cedar was that you used by any chance? I'm going to get some cut at Home Depot later this week. Looks like 1"x6" cut to size?

The one I have has the same rust spots. Specifically that one frame post rusting the exact same way is interesting.

I don't recall the exact measurements, but I measured the width of the old rusty floor pan and did the same measurements. And yes they were 1x6s, but you could go wider or skinnier depending on the style. One thing to keep in mind when installing the floor pieces is the placement of the grease tray holder. You want to be sure you space/place it correctly so you can screw that in place.

I also mentioned earlier in this thread that I used some slim magnet catches to hold the doors in place on the new wood pieces.

This looks great. My grill's condition is probably a little bit better than yours and none of the inside firebox spraypaint nonsense. I'm the original owner and my lower panel is totally rusted through after hitting it with a wire brush cup on my angle grinder. due to my lack of time I was planning to use epoxy putty / bondo to fill in the holes in the metal, primer and spray paint it and call it a day.

Back