New Addition to the Family, rehab advice appreciated - Weber Genesis E-310

I don't know of a carwash around here that would suffice. I think there are regulations about how much pressure and what type of nozzles they can use. Otherwise, they would wind up injuring too many weekend warriors. No one wants a law suit.

For $865, I would think a guy could get a hold of one heluva pressure washer.

I already own one. My issue is simply out of necessity. I don't have the facilities at home to
do a proper cleaning. Cleaners and grease would leave a mess down my driveway and right
down the street. I don't need unhappy neighbors. The yard isn't an option, as I would kill
the grass and create giant mud pits.

That is too bad.
Dave, would you be willing to do a photo or even video chronicle on how you clean out your cook boxes?

I guess there is no "easy" solution to this messy, even risky, job...After reading Dave's comments, I would be afraid that a pressure washer strong enough to get ALL the burnt on grease, etc. off the metal would be strong enough to also DAMAGE the soft aluminum.

The more I look at it the more I think that Bruce's attempt to link up with someone who already is setup to sandblast is the way to go. If you can be patient and let your jobs be "filler" and provide someone with enough work, maybe you could get it done at a realistic price. That needs comparison to the set up and running cost of a good sandblaster and pressure tank plus media, etc. I think you would have to do quite a lot of pieces before you could recover that setup cost. On the other hand, it would appear to be the least dangerous method and the results we have seen here are pretty amazing.

I think that going the sand blast route is going to cost you upwards of $1000 and then you need to store all that equipment. You will need a pretty big compressor to run it. I am still thinking a pressure washer would work. You just have to get one that is strong enough to clean off the burned on grease and carbon. The intensity of the spray can be adjusted by the nozzel as well as the distance from the project. I am sure there is a big enough window between cleaning off the gunk and damaging the aluminum that it would be feasible. I just don't have enough experience with pressure washers to know how big a unit is needed. But, I am already planning on renting one this summer to do the deck and the house, so I will probably take the opportunity to play around with a cook box or two.

Also, a pressure washer is a lot easier to store and the clean up should be a lot easier than after using a sand blaster. But, if not, I think having them done by a commercial guy is workable if I can keep the price per box down.

Dave, would you be willing to do a photo or even video chronicle on how you clean out your cook boxes?

I guess I could, but it would likely be the most boring thing ever.
Spray with cleaner. High pressure soap. High pressure rinse. Done.
As we have talked about before, most of the folks I deal with don't care
if the box insides are sparkling or not. They are much more concerned with
the overall condition and lifespan of the grill. If the grates, burners and
flavorizers look good, it will sell. My sparking clean fireboxes made for good
pics here and the Genesis Club but did not turn any extra profit. Board
accolades are always appreciated, but money talks and ...... walks. :D

I hear you Dave. I would just like to see the Starting product, the process and the final outcome.

I think that going the sand blast route is going to cost you upwards of $1000 and then you need to store all that equipment. You will need a pretty big compressor to run it. I am still thinking a pressure washer would work. You just have to get one that is strong enough to clean off the burned on grease and carbon. The intensity of the spray can be adjusted by the nozzel as well as the distance from the project. I am sure there is a big enough window between cleaning off the gunk and damaging the aluminum that it would be feasible. I just don't have enough experience with pressure washers to know how big a unit is needed. But, I am already planning on renting one this summer to do the deck and the house, so I will probably take the opportunity to play around with a cook box or two.

Also, a pressure washer is a lot easier to store and the clean up should be a lot easier than after using a sand blaster. But, if not, I think having them done by a commercial guy is workable if I can keep the price per box down.

I admit I don't really know what's best at this point. You can drop a grand on a high-powered pressure washer, too:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SIMPSON-Po...sure-Washer-with-Honda-Engine-CARB/1000120331

On the other hand, here is an attractive combination that would probably put you in good stead for sand blasting plenty of grills. A Harbor Freight 27 gallon pressure tank that gets good reviews and what seems like a much more solid and reliable sandlaster from a family-owned company in the business for decades:

https://www.harborfreight.com/27-Gallon-200-PSI-Oil-Free-Professional-Air-Compressor-56403.html

https://texasblaster.com/

That's $1,400 without a drop of media:eek:! If you could really get someone to do a firebox (and maybe the two small hood sides) for only $50 you would have to do 28 grills before breaking even on this equipment cost, not to mention your hours of labor. Factoring in media, the break-even is going to be even further out there. I don't see this as viable unless you are running at a very high production rate or maybe could go in with a friend or two to share the cost (and not get into an argument when the machine breaks:rolleyes:).

I kind of get driven back to the old grinders the more I look at everything.

Yah, seems investing in a lot of equipment is equivalent to going down a big rabbit hole and hoping there is a way out.

If I could find something that I really felt could do the job and was feasible to own and maintain for the price that a few rehabbed grill profits would cost, I would be tempted though.

Sadly that HF compressor would only run a blaster about 2 min before running out of breath. Blasters need LOTS of air with not a lot of pressure. You would need something on this order https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8...Stage-Electric-Air-Compressor-C801H/203187346 to actually run a blaster long enough to clean a fire box. Note this will not give the the large PSI numbers but note the volume at 90 PSI. Typically the blaster will need 60 to 90 PSI but huge volumes of air

Yeah that would do the job but it's still close to a grand out the door and unless you really have need for this huge a unit it's wasted space and money. Basically a "unitasker" as AB says. I still think a good power washer and copious use of easy off or some such thing to loosen the crud is better way to go. Plus you can ALWAYS find other uses for a power washer. Hell last summer I loaned my SIL my unit so he could clean their front walk for sealing. Well it was over 2 months before I ever saw it again. He found out he could do the fence, the cars, and all kinds of other projects. I'll definitely be redoing my deck this year. A good washing with deck cleaner then a restain with the Sikkens oil stain

Right Larry, I would get more use out of a power washer than a blast cabinet and setup.

Yeah, so now the sand blasting project is up to almost two grand. No way to make that work. It does give you some added respect for the guys who do this and for what they need to charge.

I will be interested in seeing what someone comes up with on pressure washing. I think for me I will just resign myself to grinding. I already have lots of safety gear, but that all in one faceshield/respirator Dave showed off looks like a better and even safer way to go.

Haven't had any spare time to get work done to the grill, but I did finally unbox the new burner tubes from Weber :) Look pretty sharp!

whXGwZw.jpg

Hoping I can at least finish grinding down the firebox within the next week, then lightly grind down the other metal parts I will be painting and then get after some of the rusty areas.

Sounds like you are making some progress. Can't wait to see some pictures of the grill itself after you get after it.

Slowly chugging along with the rehab. I got the hood disassembled. Just a bunch of T-30 bolts on the front and then remove the lid handlebar and the sides come right off.

I cleaned the under, inside, part of the lid today. First I used some Simple Green and steel wool, but after 10 min of that I broke out the straight razor blade. Took a little longer than I would have liked, but the inside of the lid is really clean. Certainly no spray paint left on it, if there was any to begin with.

fBHNMh0.jpg

I cut the cedar boards I'll be using for one of the side panels. This is the side panel on the opposite side where the propane line comes in and the tank hangs. Surprisingly the propane tank side panel is in great shape, so I'll be priming and painting that panel.
For this panel, rust was pretty bad especially towards the bottom where it meets with the bottom panel, so I'll be rehabbing just the primary frame/legs. Then cutting out the sheet metal from the side panel and replacing that with these wood boards. I plan on staining a dark color with some sort of semi-transparent stain so you can still see some of the wood grain. I'm spacing them apart pretty far on purpose. I know that will allow more of the elements to get inside the cabinet area, but will also allow more airflow and IMO less of a chance for the rust to pop back up.

QWMORip.jpg

Going to be using similar wood pieces on the bottom panel as well as the back panel. Still kicking around ideas for how I will attach magnet door catches to the front side bottom panel to keep the doors in the closed position.

Still a lot of work to go, but figure I'll keep posting these small updates as I'm able to get the work in.
Not sure I would recommend this type of rehab to anyone, haha, but I'm already this far in it. So I'll see it through and hopefully the finished product will last me a number of years and many good meals.

Got in another two or so hours of angle grinding in, burned through another two cup brushes! Man, for those of you that can use just one cup brush for a whole grill rehab, I don't know how you do it. I've already gone through 4.
Maybe since the Genesis I'm rehabbing is from 2008-2009, the paint is bonded better to the grill? Assuming grinding down a grill from the early 2000s or 90s might be easier since it's had more time for the paint to breakdown.... Just a guess.
Didn't really have anything worth posting a picture on this update. I'll have to go stock up on cup brushes again at HF.

Are you using these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html

Or are you using a Wire Wheel or the 3" Cup Brush?

That's them! Used two of those and two of the 3" cups. Plan on buying 3 more of the 4"... hopefully will have leftovers for doing a Q lid.

I started out buying a variety pack set that included some twisted/braided wire.... Man that braided stuff is intense. Pretty sure I could grind a hole through the aluminum with that. So I'm not using the braided ones.

Bruce,
Another question for you or anyone else that paints grills a lot. Since I'm grinding the heat exposed parts of this grill down to bare aluminum, should I use the high heat primer along with the Flameproof paint I'll be using? And what about clear coat?
Do you have a grill that you use often where you just used the paint, has it held up well?
I'm trying to balance between keeping my budget down and also keeping in mind I want to hang on to this grill a while.

Back