New Addition to the Family, rehab advice appreciated - Weber Genesis E-310

I thought about using a pressure washer, but I only have one of those electric ones. Not sure it would be powerful enough to blast off the paint....but I bet a big gas powered one would. Have you ever done it this way and gotten all the paint off?

I am not sure even a gas powered pressure washer would strip the factory paint from a cook box. That stuff is pretty durable. I think it is powder coating. It would strip already flaking paint, but not all of it probably. Otherwise, that would be a viable alternative to sand blasting or grinding.

So what do you guys think it would really take to get setup from scratch to do your own sandblasting of grill parts?

The biggest expense is getting a compressor with enough capacity to keep up with really high air flow. Probably would need to spend close to $1000 for something like that new. Hazard Fraught sells large enough blasting cabinets and outfits cheap enough and they even have some decent compressors you might get away with on light duty for $500 to $600

OK, we are talking something in $750 plus range. Then you have to deal with a place to store all the equipment and a place to actually do the sand blasting and what about the waste sand?

Is there a $500-$600 gas powered pressure washer that could at least clean out the inside of the cook boxes down to bare metal? Water is a lot easier to deal with than sand.

I got an excellent pressure washer from Sam's on sale. Gas powered, 3100 PSI IIRC and memory serves me right I paid less than $200. You just gotta be right place right time I guess

I did the Q320 last summer with it. I did oven cleaner and left it a bit than blasted it. Basically nothing left in it but not a Genesis cookbox. Have not tried that. All I do with the big grills is scrape them and go

Yah, I would think almost any power sprayer would be good for a personal clean out, but Just not quite the result I think you need to attract buyers for flip grills. Every used grill they see on line has black gunk all over it. While power washing it might get 95% out, you will likely still have a black coated inside.

I was hoping that maybe one of those really high pressure ones, you know, the kid that can blow a hole in a leather work boot would be able to strip it down to bare metal.

I am planning on renting a gas power washer this summer to do the deck and our house. I may throw in a cook box just to see how well it works.

That will be interesting to follow. At least one of these is more doable than sand blasting equipment. If you have enough pressure you can CUT metal, so a powerful enough unit should do the job. It would be another power tool with which to exercise real safety precautions. One of those would be an all year usable tool here in Florida.

Our maintenance shop has a mediocre gas powered pressure washer that I have used to at least get the gunk off grill parts. As was mentioned definitely good enough to put back together and use for personal purposes. I agree with Bruce, though, that to stand above the crowd of used Weber’s being paraded on CL, OfferUp, Letgo and FB Marketplace a totally shiny firebox is a big deal. I don’t know what brand, model of pressure washer it would take to get results like that.

Maybe some people here have recommendations?

Mine will cut though my blacktop drive and will etch into my concrete patio as well if not careful. Years ago I had an inexpensive Coleman unit small lightweight electric that I accidentally cut right through a hose on my car with while cleaning the engine compartment

We have those DIY car washes. Would be really cool if those pressure washers did do a good job blasting the boxes. Wouldn't have to worry about storing or maintaining any equipment. Pretty easy cleanup too.

I was hoping that maybe one of those really high pressure ones, you know, the kid that can blow a hole in a leather work boot would be able to strip it down to bare metal.

My pressure washer is 2300 PSI and does not touch the baked on gunk, so you will need more
power than that for sure.

Also, do metal bristles fly off and stick into your jeans as you are grinding, or is that just me?

Those little bristles are a pain in the whatever they stuck in. The worst is when they find their
way down into your shoes. @&%*$!!
I used to grind without much protection and posted a pic one similar to Bruce's and Jon's.
Last winter I bought a respirator and full face shield. I now use it every time I breakout the
grinder.

hyhS0JQl.jpg

That pic was from this morning. I was bundled up for the cold, but I make a point
to wear long sleeves year round now also. I'm not a doctor or a chemist, but I am
fairly certain there is nothing good be it fumes, chemical residue, aluminum dust,
or anything else on the inside of the grills that is healthy to breath, or risk infection
from one of those bristles piercing your skin. It is really easy right now when its cold,
but in the middle of the summer I get out as early in the morning as I can, and I
have a shop fan that I place right behind me to cool me, and help blow some of
the dust away. I also do it under a shade tree, stay hydrated, and take breaks.

We have those DIY car washes. Would be really cool if those pressure washers did do a good job blasting the boxes. Wouldn't have to worry about storing or maintaining any equipment. Pretty easy cleanup too.

The local carwash is my mainstay. It operates at nearly the same PSI as my pressure washer,
and I don't **** off my neighbors with all the crud washing down the street. It can get a little
pricey depending on where you live and how many grills you do. I spent $865 washing grills
at my local carwash, but it was better than continually making a mess at home.

I don't know of a carwash around here that would suffice. I think there are regulations about how much pressure and what type of nozzles they can use. Otherwise, they would wind up injuring too many weekend warriors. No one wants a law suit.

For $865, I would think a guy could get a hold of one heluva pressure washer.

The car washes around here don’t put out that kind of pressure. After oven cleaner followed by a trip to the car wash didn’t get it done, I took it to a sand blaster.

Back