NEEDED! old school GEN 1000 swing table Support Rod

MarkSiebel

TVWBB Fan
ANYONE know where to get these? I believe their NO Longer made...I need the older school insert (longer) end NOT the insert to plastic slider on metal rail.

Or, has anyone fabricated these? if so how, what materials, and how did they turn out?

thx!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are going to have to find a used one, either from a donor grill or find someone to send you the part.

Do you have a photo or diagram of the exact part you are looking for?

I think you are going to have to find a used one, either from a donor grill or find someone to send you the part.

Do you have a photo or diagram of the exact part you are looking for?

>> yeah...unfort. you're most likely correct...if anyone has any other sources...here is schematic pic. part #21.....thx.....

You might be able to convert it to the new sliding style. I would think it wouldn't be the hardest thing to fabricate. I have one but it would render a table useless that I want to use somewhere.

I have been wanting one, also.

On my Skyline grill, I just used a sliding style one and ground off the little notches at the end. It then goes in both the holder (closed position) and the frame (open position) fairly well, but not as deeply as a real one. (I had to crudely improvise on the holder, too, because I have yet to come across any grill with these old-style parts. They aren't readily available to be sure.

2ii7g50.jpg

rjei3t.jpg

Last edited:
I would think that rod could be fabbed up pretty easily if you had a good one to use as a pattern. I may have one of those in my stack of parts stored in my shed, but I am not going to be going out there any time soon. With a fresh foot of snow and -25 and -30 degrees the next two days, I ain't leavin' the house unless it is on fire.

If you still need one later on, I will see what I can do. I love the slide ones so much better than those older ones though. I converted my 1000 to the slider. I just canibilized one off another 1000. Simple swap.

Jon, is that SPAR on those wood slats??

Like Dustin I have the rod and the clip but kind of one of those things would not want to part with it in case it was needed down the road. Like Bruce I actually bought the slider off ebay which is why I have the old set to me that was a big improvement. The rod I have is slightly bent but usable and Mark like you said the rod is longer than the one on the slider. Bruce might be your best bet question is what would the shipping be going to be a rather irregular box.

I would think that rod could be fabbed up pretty easily if you had a good one to use as a pattern. I may have one of those in my stack of parts stored in my shed, but I am not going to be going out there any time soon. With a fresh foot of snow and -25 and -30 degrees the next two days, I ain't leavin' the house unless it is on fire.

If you still need one later on, I will see what I can do. I love the slide ones so much better than those older ones though. I converted my 1000 to the slider. I just canibilized one off another 1000. Simple swap.

Jon, is that SPAR on those wood slats??

Yes, I used McCloskey Man O War spar varnish recommended by Brian. 4 coats. Time will tell, but for now looks and feels very well protected. My coastal environment will certainly test this stuff.

Yes, I used McCloskey Man O War spar varnish recommended by Brian. 4 coats. Time will tell, but for now looks and feels very well protected. My coastal environment will certainly test this stuff.

Jon, that stuff as you know is pricey do you have enough left to do another set of the slats? I have no doubt its better stuff than the Helmsman interesting enough Valspar bought them out I was not aware of that.

Season after season, Man O'War stands up to what nature dishes out
Rain and moisture
UV rays from the sun
Coastal salt spray
Seasonal temperature changes
The strongest name in clear protection. Choose from gloss, semi-gloss or satin finishes, to beautify your interior and exterior wood surfaces for years with no cracking or peeling.

WHERE TO USE
Use on wood that needs protection from water, such as:

Exterior entry doors
Garage doors
Shutters, hand rails and trim
Outdoor furniture
Interior window sills and frames
Wood trim on boats (above the water line)
Wood projects, such has bird houses, mailboxes, planters, lamp posts

The coastal salt spray line should bode well for you.

Yeah, Brian, I have enough oak slats left to do a grill with just a left top tray and pull up table. There is more than enough McCloskey for those. I especially want to use it on the red oak, but I also plan to purchase again for all woods because it is such a good product. I do have some Helmsman that I will use up first, but I will limit that to the cedar boards that are already a lot more weather resistant.

It will be interesting, I think, to see how the red oak works out on my next wood slat project. I plan to pair a much lighter stained oak than my Skyline grill with a black hood Genesis with just a wire rack bottom and no right table. I know red oak is very suspect, so I am really glad you told me about the McCloskey. I am hoping it will help me sell that grill if I ever get to it. Probably an after tax-season project unfortunately...

Where did you find the McCloskeys. I can't find it local but Amazon has it.
Did you use the "GLOSS" or "Semi-Gloss"?

Last edited:
Where did you find the McCloskeys. I can't find it local but Amazon has it.
Did you use the "GLOSS" or "Semi-Gloss"?

Bruce not sure this is anywhere near you but Rockler sells it.

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
17300 W. Bluemound Rd. Suite 500
Brookfield, WI 53045
Phone: (414) 302-1472
Manager: Wade Behrns - email

Ahhhh, that is way over by Milwaukee. A 2-3 hour drive. I can always order some off Amazon, but I would have thought one of the big box stores would have it around here.

Ahhhh, that is way over by Milwaukee. A 2-3 hour drive. I can always order some off Amazon, but I would have thought one of the big box stores would have it around here.

No the big box stores at least around here are locked into Minwax which owns Helmsman so that is what you get. I think the Man stuff was always a specialty item, I have a local Rockler they tend to carry a lot of higher end stuff that others do not. They carry a killer wipe on Poly that I have used for furniture before really good stuff.

Getting back to the original question,
I might have what you need. I also have friends that could bring it to AZ, but not right away. How soon do you need it?

Gerry

I might have what you need. I also have friends that could bring it to AZ, but not right away. How soon do you need it?

Gerry

>>GREAT!! i could trade w/ other weber parts or cash? keep me posted! thx.........

Gerry

Sorry to Mark and yourself and thanks for getting back on topic and helping Mark out we drift sometimes kind of how we roll pretty guilty myself by the way. However kind of why you always need to read every thread there is info that will show up in a thread that has nothing to do with what the thread started with and really I read all of them have gotten some good info when I least expected it in a thread that I would have no idea it would be in.:cool:

>>GREAT!! i could trade w/ other weber parts or cash? keep me posted! thx.........

OK, First, let's see if what I have is what you want:
rTPAHJK.jpg
[/IMG]

The only parts I would be interested in would be the very very early Genesis control panel in good shape.
The old style wheels with the whitewall going to the outer edge of the wheel.
The later slider assembly for the left or right side flip up table.

What 'cha got?

Gerry

Back