My new rig

Nice to see you living your dream, Gary. Wishing you great success and you're definitely doing it the right way, great setup.

Well I got the call I've been waiting for today for fifteen months. Jamie called me and my new pit is going for paint next week. I am super excited. Going to have to get the trailer buttoned up for the trip north. I'll send some photos when it's home.

I'm jacked for this thread......
I have been watching a show with Michael Symon hosting and going to the bbq competitions....
The food he gets to try.....which is usually seconds to the turn in box is pretty darn tasty looking.
There is some serious competition out there!!!

I've been watching that show too-maybe we'll be seeing Gary on it next year! Pretty amazing to watch all the prep those teams do in getting ready for the judging part-and that 16 yo just got the 2nd perfect score in 2 years-incredible.

I'm jacked for this thread......
I have been watching a show with Michael Symon hosting and going to the bbq competitions....
The food he gets to try.....which is usually seconds to the turn in box is pretty darn tasty looking.
There is some serious competition out there!!!
It was neat to see the Florida episode. There was a guy on the show that was in the comp class I took back in February. Seems he is doing well.

Today I took the day off work and drove up to get my enclosed. I was going to wait to show it off til I got it out of the trailer and put the stack on, but what the heck. Anyone see a family resemblance on the color??IMG20230823163639.jpg

Great looking pit, Gary !!!
Too soon, I know... BUT... Get It Dirty ;)
Wishing you the very best in your cooks on the Jambo !!!

Last edited:
Dropping some serious dinero on all your new toys.....
Love the trailer and the new pit....it looks really fancy, I don't know one quality pit from the other when we start talking multiple thousands but it looks really awesome.
Good luck......maybe it was posted earlier are we looking to start comps in 24?

Dropping some serious dinero on all your new toys.....
Love the trailer and the new pit....it looks really fancy, I don't know one quality pit from the other when we start talking multiple thousands but it looks really awesome.
Good luck......maybe it was posted earlier are we looking to start comps in 24?
I hope to do a few before the end of the year. I used to compete on a team with FIL before I left CA and the urge to compete never left me. I may have posted this before but I'm chalking this up as my mid-life chrisis pit. All my buddies bought hot rods and such but being as I'm a mechanic by trade I have zero interest in any of that these days. I also have a very supportive wife.

It is super fancy and absolutely unnecessary to have to compete. I know for a fact I'll get whooped on by guys cooking on drums and pellet cabinets but it's all part of the fun. I've wanted once since I first saw pit masters over thirteen years ago. And I can't stop smiling every time I look at it.

And for those curious, Jamie is a super nice guy. Old school to the core and takes a lot of pride in these pits. I'm hoping to get this thing rolling a comp before the end of next month. Stay tuned, and thanks everyone.

Due to some prior commitments, I didn't get a chance to roll out the new jambo until today. I cleaned it up, lit a fire and seasoned it up. I rolled out "fancy boy" so you all can see my color inspiration. Hopefully will be able to do a small cook-off this weekend. IMG20230903123104.jpgIMG20230903123218.jpg

Beautiful color on that pit, I can see why you matched the Weber Kettle...
Good luck on your new adventure, and post plenty of pictures please.

So I did a cookoff this weekend in skidmore TX and did not have a great showing. My brisket was fairly well received but my ribs and chicken that have been doing well, did not do well. After looking at the score sheets I'm not too concerned as it looks like I landed on a pretty tough table. Not trying to make excuses but when they are still looking for judges with an hour before turn ins you have to wonder a bit. Still, good food is good food and I need to do better. Going to try and get some more work done on the trailer this weekend. Hopefully get a permanent table up in there. I've got an overhead cabinet up that I haven't gotten photos of yet so I'll click a few. In the meantime, brisket and chicken turn ins. Didn't manage to get a pic of the rib box. IMG20231007120636.jpgIMG20231007150332.jpg

Back