My little project

Yep, I found the same thing, I thought the frame looked pretty good but after the firebox and lid got all tidied up and I put everything back together, I see that I really need to re do the frame come spring, tear down the scale, clean that all up install the new warning label, maybe even replace the wheels? Considering larger ones and increasing leg length for the same reason I did that when I fine tuned my dbl barreled performer. My back has truly appreciated the extra height!

After two and a half day's of scrubbing grinding and painting I'm at this point with a few progress pictures included.

The frame I wasn't happy about

Flavor bars after much grinding

Condiment rack in progress

Its current condition

Things to do. Remove emblem clean, paint, sand. Find another caster wheel to replace the one that does not work. I think I might have one from the grill on the side of the house. And finely another cleaning on the hood so it will be nice and shiny. The stainless grates have been ground on and are clean but have some pitting and are a tiny bit of rust. That may be something I Have to buy replacements for if I cant clean up the rust.

Since I didn't have an angle grinder I had to buy one for this project, along with the other materials that went into it.
At this point I'm about $35 and a sore back into it, that includes what I spent to get it, and don't plan to put more money at it. When I finish up some of the last detail's I mentioned above it will be on Its way to my sister's house as a gift for her birthday.

Some notes.
I wasn't worried about making all the inside new and shiny. This grill is not being put up for sale. My sister likes to grill/BBQ also, so knowing it would not be noticeable after a few cooks I didn't make it shiny. The cooker not looker logic. but I did spend hours grinding off the previous owners buildup. It's purpose is to be a good functional grill that will last her a long time, and replace the two year old box store grill she was excited to get, and that is already breaking down and rusting.

One final note, My yard looks like crap. Don't look at that!!!! Just focus on the BBQ :D

Last edited:
Jason, you are doing great. I agree, no need to completely clean the inside of the grill out. ONe cook at it will be black again. I only do that for flipping purposes. I also wouldn't worry about cleaning up the flavo bars too much. Same thing with them and as long as the bottom edges are mostly intact and there are no holes in them, then they are fulling functioning and no replacement is necessary.

The sister is going to get a great grill.

Jason, you are doing great. I agree, no need to completely clean the inside of the grill out. ONe cook at it will be black again. I only do that for flipping purposes. I also wouldn't worry about cleaning up the flavo bars too much. Same thing with them and as long as the bottom edges are mostly intact and there are no holes in them, then they are fulling functioning and no replacement is necessary.

The sister is going to get a great grill.

Thanks Bruce. The flavor bars are actually in very good shape and have a lot of live in them. They aren't breaking down at all yet. My only real concern at this point are the cook grates.

I have spent some time grinding them bit I don't think I'll be able to correct them. However Christmas is just around the corner, and new ones could be in order.

I can't tell, but are those stamped steel or solid rod grates? Either way, they are serviceable for now. No rush to get new ones unless you just want new ones.

Yah, those will be good until you find newer/better ones. You can probably get a lot of use out of them before they "NEED" to be replaced. But, a nice set of SS solid rod grates would be nice on that grill.

Jason,

It is coming along well! I agree with Bruce that a set of stainless rod grates would be a really nice upgrade, but as he said you can certainly use what you have. Maybe run over with a sander using a relatively fine grit would get you a little closer to what you want then a grinder/brush at this point. But, hey, I am a CPA and not a tool guy so if that sounds crazy you can tell me to stick with numbers!

Jason,

It is coming along well! I agree with Bruce that a set of stainless rod grates would be a really nice upgrade, but as he said you can certainly use what you have. Maybe run over with a sander using a relatively fine grit would get you a little closer to what you want then a grinder/brush at this point. But, hey, I am a CPA and not a tool guy so if that sounds crazy you can tell me to stick with numbers!

LOL,. Not at you Jon, but at your comments about me telling you to stick with numbers. I have seen your work, and quite honestly I'm envious. You, Bruce, and so many others here do such good work that my little project can't hold a candle in comparison.

This is my first rehab. After going through it I have a much deeper respect for the work that you people are doing. The attention to detail, diamond plate Edition for example is extraordinary to me. The time, sweat, tears, and sometimes even blood (I have some blood into mine) put into the projects I've seen here is commendable. Maybe one day I will be at that level but I'm not yet, and I welcome any and all advice that I can get.

I'm actually pretty upset about your TEC flip project. I know how much work you put into making that Grill nice again. If you got 500 for it and the buyer enjoyed it for several years that would be awesome. What I am upset about is now that same Grill is listed for 1,000. After all the work you put into it, it bothers me that someone could possibly double his money with no effort.

With that said, I have a greater respect 4 the work that goes into the grills you guys are flipping. If nothing else I guess it just makes me want to up my game. But on the *flip* side, I would hate to spend a week of my time only to sell it to someone and see it relisted for double what I sold it for.

Anyhow, you guys have all been a great help and resource for me. And I look forward to picking your brains some more on the next one.

Thank you all.

That's coming along nicely but I don't think the grates are the stainless ones. Back then Weber used very high quality stainless for those U shaped grates. They look like the porcelain enamel ones with some chipping and rust beginning

The time, sweat, tears, and sometimes even blood (I have some blood into mine) put into the projects I've seen here is commendable.

BLOOD: I hear ya there. I have a blood DNA signature on nearly every Weber that I have rehabbed. I dropped the empty frame of my Skyline directly down on top of the knuckle of my big toe with sandles on. Without wheels on the grill, I got the bare end of one of the legs directly on top of the big toe knuckle. I honestly thought I had broken my toe. I stood there for two or three minutes cussing up a storm. By the time I looked down at it, there was a nice pool of blood. After that, I looked around and no one was watching, thank God. But, I tore a nice hole in my skin. The wife and I argued about a trip to the doctor, but I won out. It wound up healing OK but still hurts. I am just glad I had a tetanus shot because we all know how the bottom of those frame legs collect rust.

I have definitely cut myself plenty of times. I always wear heavy leather gloves when grinding, but general cleaning takes a real touch and all that sharp metal is bound to get you:eek:!

My wife looked at my hands the last Saturday I was able to do any real grill work. She saw all the cuts and scrapes and asked me why I did that to myself. I was actually kind of proud that my hands didn't look like accountant's hands and told her that "guys like to do this kind of stuff!" I don't think that made any more sense to her then driving for miles to pick up yet another tired out old grill that she would classify as "junk.";)

BLOOD: I hear ya there. I have a blood DNA signature on nearly every Weber that I have rehabbed. I dropped the empty frame of my Skyline directly down on top of the knuckle of my big toe with sandles on. Without wheels on the grill, I got the bare end of one of the legs directly on top of the big toe knuckle. I honestly thought I had broken my toe. I stood there for two or three minutes cussing up a storm. By the time I looked down at it, there was a nice pool of blood. After that, I looked around and no one was watching, thank God. But, I tore a nice hole in my skin. The wife and I argued about a trip to the doctor, but I won out. It wound up healing OK but still hurts. I am just glad I had a tetanus shot because we all know how the bottom of those frame legs collect rust.

Bruce I can relate to your toe. I just had surgery on my two middle toes and the pups were playing with each other. Just as I thought I'd better get out of the line of fire Abby our one year old lab took off down the hallway and Whitney decided to chase her, she is a 100lb dog and managed to use one of my middle toe s which was only protected by a sock for traction. I thought I was going to pass out it hurt so bad.
I could barley walk for three days. Today is the first day I've been able to walk and stand for any length of time.

Oh by the way I rescue dogs and rescue Webers :cool:.

Last edited:
Jason, your rehab of the Skyline is great, I agree with Larry, the old grates are enameled original parts. As a first rehab, this is impressive. You are diving into the deep end of the pool with what you’ve done. It will be fine.
As for “flipping” grumbles, hey, Jon got his price (maybe a little less than the market might have borne but, now we have that information too.) and, that’s the way a free market works, I hope the yutz sits on his markup for...ever!
Blood!? Well, thanks to Bruce, I saved a significant amount of blood through his, amazing understanding of rehabbing equipment. (Side bar, I like the new signe but, the grill/gun analogy is really one I have found myself parroting when people say, “Why so many...” to me)
Jon, I sold Fine Jewelry for many years, buffed my nails and sold big dollar “pretties”, I also spent a lot of time cooking. Taking care of the hands is really important! Work smart, work safe!
Rich, foot misery I am learning about more and more as time stubs my proverbial big toe every day!
Keep safe, smart and healthy folks! We only get one trip through life.

“We are all travelers in this life, from the sweet grass to the packing house, we travel between the eternities.”

Truth be told my dog is a rescue dog as well.

Glad to here that Bruce, our last seven dogs have been rescues. Abby is the first non rescue since 1981 but she was kind of a gift for helping our friends out baby sitting their two labs during the day.

I was cleaning out a firebox with my angle grinder yesterday and it bit me again. I swear that thing hates me.

Yep, I have had three dogs and every one has been a rescue. The first two were from private parties and really needed rescuing. Our last and current one was from a shelter. It was soon realized why the previous owner had given him after having him for just six months. He has tendon issues where the patella tendons on the back legs slip to the sides of his knee joint which as you might guess is painful and limits his mobility. He does OK as long as he doesn't get too active. He loves to go on walks but anything over 1/2 mile is too much and he will just lay down after a while and refuse to move. Having another dog around to run with leaves him basically immobile later in the day. Pain pills from the vet dont help but as long as he takes it easy, he does good.

As far as that angle grinder goes, yah, they can really jump up and bite. Have you gotten it rolled up in your shirt yet? I had some nasty road rash on my stomach and chest a couple times from that. It didn't take me long to realize that leather gloves were imperative as well.

I have seen some really nice rescue dogs but I have also seen some disasters. I love dogs, really but my one sister has this rescue that has scared me because he's so unpredictable from day one. He acts like he wants to be friendly and snuggles up to you and suddenly there will be a low growl and within a second boom he's snapped at you. Privately I refer to him as Cujo but something is definitely not right in his head. He's drawn blood on my wife, nearly on me, and many others. That's why rescues scare me especially big powerful ones like hers. You don't know what's been imprinted on their psyche and they may seem all nice and docile and without any warning bam you're bleeding.
I truly look up to folks who rescue and I think for the most part their usually really sweet animals that are grateful for a loving family..................than I see Cujo

I don't mess with dogs that have bitten people unless there was a clear reason for them to do so.

I don't mess with dogs that have bitten people unless there was a clear reason for them to do so.

Bruce I agree with you my first dog was a rescue and I again admire people who do it but he was more like Larry's Cujo dog. Be perfectly fine with the kids then my daughter dropped a retainer went to get it the dog bit her he had been with us for a year and a half never did anything like that before. My wife wanted to put him down right away but she as well as the family loved that dog. So we called a few trainers the first one said he puts them down if they bite a family member on a situation like this truth be told we did not want to hear that as that trainer said if they bite once they will bite again. The second one said she thought she could train him so for $700 bucks and a month later the dog was returned to us a few days later forget what happened bit my daughter again that was the last straw.

I ended up with a golden pure bred had to put her down this year she was only 9 1/2 years old got cancer really one of the saddest days in my families life that dog was made for kids never and I mean never would she even come close to nipping anyone she just loved people.

Larry a dog should never draw blood that is a dangerous situation so please be careful.

Back