My Genesis 1000 Restoration (Should have found a better Grill)

Check out page 13 in the Genesis 1000 owners manual. I am not sure, but it may not be present on the wood shelf 1000's. But it should be on the Durawood 1000's for sure.

Attachments

• 1998 Genesis 1000LX Owners Manual.pdf
    946.6 KB · Views: 32
Check out page 13 in the Genesis 1000 owners manual. I am not sure, but it may not be present on the wood shelf 1000's. But it should be on the Durawood 1000's for sure.
Thanks. That is a pretty cool manual. I have only done maybe 3 deep boxes. My 5, a 3, and one other. I don't remember seeing that piece.

I guess weber calls it a Spacer bracket and not necessarily a heat sheild. But basically, the function of it is to protect the shelf from the heat near the cook box.

Wow I never new my Gen 1000 had one of those. I will have to check the 3 that I have and be sure to install it when I install my Durawood.

Interesting, my manual for the 3000 doesn't include that part, but it's also from 97 and mentions wood. Seems like that might just be for the Durawood models.

Yes, that bracket is not included on the woodie models, only on the durawood models. If you look at an exploded diagram of the wood vs durawood genesis, you'll see the difference.

Chris, it could very well be as my 1000 (wood) doesn't have one either. Since it was one of my early rehabs, I thought maybe I just forgot it. But, the wood next to my cook box doesn't seem worse for the wear anyway.
It probably was introduced with the Durawood grills.

I went on a weber manual binge a while back trying to figure out what model I had as well as some of the difference between seemingly similar models. That was where I found out about the spacer. The 3000 I picked up did not have one and I doubt the part would have gone missing, but that durawood skyline i picked up does have one. Currently have wood butting right up agaist the cookbox bolt without issue.

Interestingly a quick google search says...

The initial process of wood burning is at 160-260 degrees Celsius (320 degrees Fahrenheit). Irreversible changes begin to appear in the wood, ending with fire. The ignition temperature of the wood varies between 200-250 degrees Celsius (392-482 degrees Fahrenheit).

There are several factors to consider when using fire pits and fireplaces in conjunction with Trex decking. Most notably is the whether the fire will be gas or wood burning. Trex decking will soften as low as 176 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yes, that bracket is not included on the woodie models, only on the durawood models. If you look at an exploded diagram of the wood vs durawood genesis, you'll see the difference.
Im converting a Durawood model to a wood model.. Im keeping the bracket.. Cant Hurt

HA, funny thing is i put that bracket on upside down. I did try it both ways, but the manual clearly shows it with the tabs on the bottom.. Well, I had a 50/50 shot, that's why i don't gamble. lol

Probably works fine either way, but I think those tabs are supposed to slide under the cross member to hold the shield in place.

I went on a weber manual binge a while back trying to figure out what model I had as well as some of the difference between seemingly similar models. That was where I found out about the spacer. The 3000 I picked up did not have one and I doubt the part would have gone missing, but that durawood skyline i picked up does have one. Currently have wood butting right up agaist the cookbox bolt without issue.

Interestingly a quick google search says...

The initial process of wood burning is at 160-260 degrees Celsius (320 degrees Fahrenheit). Irreversible changes begin to appear in the wood, ending with fire. The ignition temperature of the wood varies between 200-250 degrees Celsius (392-482 degrees Fahrenheit).

There are several factors to consider when using fire pits and fireplaces in conjunction with Trex decking. Most notably is the whether the fire will be gas or wood burning. Trex decking will soften as low as 176 degrees Fahrenheit.

It's not exactly burning that I'm concerned about, I was just wondering aloud about how various wood finishes hold up next to the heat. I can imagine some of the thick polyurethane stuff maybe getting weird, and yet I haven't heard of anyone having issues. Maybe there's nothing to be concerned about at all.

It's not exactly burning that I'm concerned about, I was just wondering aloud about how various wood finishes hold up next to the heat. I can imagine some of the thick polyurethane stuff maybe getting weird, and yet I haven't heard of anyone having issues. Maybe there's nothing to be concerned about at all.
I'd say it's nothing to worry about. In the absolute worst case, one slat on that side table might be impacted. If there is a lot of concern, you can always just make sure it is as far from the cookbox as possible when you are cooking.

Heres a few photos of it just about done.. The wood i ended up getting was eastern red cedar. I will turn less red over time.. I used 3 coats of spar varnish.. I was also able to get my hands on the 9057 Weber light and a Rotisserie which were both new in the box

Attachments

• 20210701_175754.jpg
    20210701_175754.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210701_175708.jpg
    20210701_175708.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210701_175726.jpg
    20210701_175726.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210701_175740.jpg
    20210701_175740.jpg