My Genesis 1000 Restoration (Should have found a better Grill)

I paid 60 bucks or so , to a guy on Ebay who cut all the cedar to size and shipped them to me.. He does this small stuff and sells any dimensions you want cut.

Nice job. I like the wood, it will turn a nice brown over time, nothing you can do to prevent that from happening.
Maybe of interest to some, eastern red cedar is actually not a cedar, it's a juniper.

Nice job. I like the wood, it will turn a nice brown over time, nothing you can do to prevent that from happening.
Maybe of interest to some, eastern red cedar is actually not a cedar, it's a juniper.
I did read that it was juniper Tim.. I found out a few different things about wood species while loookng for a type of wood for the grill.

Yeah, if you're a gin drinker you could say you're consuming cedar juice . . . :LOL:
Lol True! It did smell nice too. I beleive they make hope chests out of this wood too. Until i Put the varnish on the wood, my garage smelled like a Cedar closet.. Best its ever smelled down there, lol

Lol True! It did smell nice too. I beleive they make hope chests out of this wood too. Until i Put the varnish on the wood, my garage smelled like a Cedar closet.. Best its ever smelled down there, lol
Yes, it is the wood they use to make cedar/hope chests, aromatic cedar. Eastern cedar trees are much smaller than western cedar trees (also not true cedar trees, more of a cypress). The softwood isn't quite as rot resistant as the heartwood, so the bigger trees are usually preferred for construction materials while the eastern cedar was used mostly for closets and furniture.

So, those great smelling and looking old Cedar chests are really "Juniper"?
Yup, none of the cedar here in the US is Real "Cedar". I was a little surprised when i found this out.. Who knew rehabbing a grill, id learn something about cedar, sorry, Juniper....

The western redcedar is actually an arborvitae - a “false” cedar. The spelling of the name “redcedar” as one word indicates that this is not a true cedar. One of Oregon’s four native conifer species referred to as cedars, none of them are actually cedars at all – true cedars grow only in the Mediterranean regions of the world.

When is a cedar not a cedar? When it’s an eastern redcedar. The name is a misnomer. This plant is actually a juniper, as its botanical name (Juniperus virginiana) indicates. True cedars belong to the Cedrus genus and are not native to this country. Sources are inconsistent on the treatment of the common name, variously referring to it as eastern red cedar (two words), eastern redcedar (one word), eastern red-cedar (hyphenated), and red cedar, among many other names.

Nice Job Kelly. That really looks great. Mine had the Durawood originally.. How did you paint the red kettle in the Weber logo? By hand im guessing? Did you use high temp Paint?

Back