My First Cooked Food Post ( Pic Heavy )

GSchleich

Hey guys,
Ive had my 22" WSM for about 2 months now and figure now's the time to show off what i've made so far.

Heres the first meat i smoked on it:

Three Tri Tips and 8 cut Ribs on the top grate and 16 bacon wrapped sausage on the lower grate. Also did another 18 ribs on the lower grate once the sausage was done. Used the minion method with a few pieces of fresh Plum chunks and full water bowl. Temps between 200 and 275F whole time. Was expecting the Tri Tips to take around 6 hours, but they were done in 3. Came out very juicy and tender. The ribs came out a little over done, oops. But they were still tender. The sausages were great of course.

Heres just a pic of messing around with asparagus and onion on the grill :

Not very pleasing to the eye, but both were tasty. The black ball in the coal is the onion. I tryed a skin on method that worked out well. Only issue is the outer few layers were obviously burnt, leaving me with half a cooked onion lol.

Heres a pic of SUPER fast cheeseburgers:

Not much to them, it was 1am when i made them. Seasoned patty, habaneros hiding under the cheese, grilled serano peppers on top. Just a quick late night dinner.

This is a pick of my first mistake...or is it Weber's? :

Wasnt sure if i was going to post this picture. Still makes me mad looking at it. So much waste. 20 bacon wrapped sausages in the water bowl and on the ground. I went to set the lower rack in the WSM and it seated itself on the bolt instead of the L shape. As soon as i let go, the grate tilted all the food went into the full water bowl making a huge mess. 4 hours, $50, and 5 hungry people down the drain. We had to settle for taco bell...not a good substitute lol. I WILL be doing the washer/grate mod later today as i just happened to come across the thread.

Heres a pic of my pizza stone and peel i bought especially for pizza on the grill:

I didnt realize until i got home that the pizza stone specifically says NOT to use it on the grill. I believed it would be ok since im not putting it over direct flame. And so far, i have been right. The stone was $12 from Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond ( checked both ) and the peel was $13 . Good investments

Heres a pic of the first pizza i did on the WSM WITHOUT the pizza stone:

A guy at my local take n bake said he BBQ pizza all the time on the tray you see in the pic. I decided to try that first. It wasnt bad, but not even close to as good as the stone. And the pizza is BBQ Chicken in case anyone was wondering.

Heres a pic of a pizza using a cookie sheet instead of the stone on the WSM:

I love to cook and BBQ, so i decided to learn to make pizza dough. This was my first attempt using homemade dough and toppings. Came out great. The dough is amazing. I used Bobby Flays Food Network dough recipe with a few of my own touches and techniques. The crust was good in the cookie sheet, but still the stone is best!

Heres a pic of pizza using the stone:

Once again i made my own dough and put my own toppings. Only difference is i used the pizza stone. HUGE difference. The crust comes out perfect everytime and nice and crispy. I put the stone on the grill as its heating up and prep my pizza. When grill is ready, i slide the pizza off the peel directly onto the stone. Have used it 4 or 5 times so far with no issues.

Heres a pic of a couple calzones using the stone:

I cheated with this one. My local take n bake was having a deal on pizzas so i picked a couple up. Instead of regular pizza, i decided to calzone it. I piled one half full of the toppings i wanted and folded the other half over it. Pinched the edges shut with a TINY bit of water. Put the calzone on the grill for about 5 minutes then brushed it with a butter, garlic, basil sauce i made. Let it spend about another 15 minutes on the grill then pulled it off. Hit it with another brushing of the butter sauce and sprinkled Parmesan . Came out incredible.

** All of the above is done using the Weber Smokey Mountain ( WSM ), no water in the bowl unless otherwise stated, and the minion method unless otherwise stated **

I had a really hard time keeping temps up while doing pizzas. I like to bake my pizzas at at LEAST 500F+ degrees. It was hard to maintain a cooking temp of 450F on the WSM, and thats lower than what i like. To help maintain the 450F, i flipped the access door upside down and propped it open with a stick to help airflow. This really helped.

Also, if my pics are too big, someone let me know how to resize.
Thanks

Last edited:
Nice looking food, my friend! Are you saying you're new to grilling/smoking or this just first time you've cooked on this 22'?

Outstanding cook I'd take any one of them right now. Welcome to the forum your going to have lots of fun.

you subbed taco smell for this??? ▼ there ain't nothing wrong with this!!

well, you'll get the hang of it ;) (and hopefully stop patronizing TB)

That happened to me when mine was out of round. Might want to get the tape measure out. Just a thought.

Looks great. Really like those calzones. Too bad about the spill. I think I'd have salvaged those sausages, at least the ones on the ground. Depending on how funky the water was in the bowl, maybe those too.... after a good rinse. ;)

You've been busy. Nice job. Though if you hadn't stopped to take that pic, you might have saved some of those sausages under the 5 second rule. :p

Back