My Favorite Commercial BBQ Sauce(s)

My family still isn't a huge fan of sauces in general (I'm working on that), but we do use Blues Hog sauces for ribs:

I use an approximate 50/50 blend of the Original and Tennessee Red, which is essentially what Champion's Blend is (Champion's Blend was out of stock locally, otherwise I probably would have just bought that).

I have a number of sealed, unopened BBQ sauces ready to open and try at some point.

Always used Sweet Baby Rays until I read the label one day. The first ingredient was HFCS. Switched to Stubb’s Original.

We hardly ever sauce, this one is thin and tangy…..it’s actually pretty good….more vinegar than sugar type.
I use it on chicken and pork, mostly dipping but works as a final flavour layer on ribs too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1
Just yesterday I gave the H-E-B store brand Carolina sauce a try. I had a small pork butt in the WSM and didn’t have any pork sauce in the pantry. Very nice mustard/vinegar sauce with a medium consistency. Was exceptional when mixed in with chopped meat for a Sloppy Porky sandwich. Best $2.10 barbecue purchase I’ve ever made.

Its the best of their lineup.
As was mentioned, its a bit on the vinegary side but well suited for chicken and pork.
Went to one of our Costa Rican Supermarkets this morning which have on their shelf the Original and also the Hickory. Problem is last week I bought 2 full bottles of BBQ sauce which should last me until next year:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 7825DDBF-4E4D-43B9-8412-630AFF67AAD5.jpeg
    7825DDBF-4E4D-43B9-8412-630AFF67AAD5.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3
Went to one of our Costa Rican Supermarkets this morning which have on their shelf the Original and also the Hickory. Problem is last week I bought 2 full bottles of BBQ sauce which should last me until next year:rolleyes:
Two good choices though! Im not married to a particular brand. The hickory flavor is likely a dash of some form of Liquid Smoke.

Don't understand all the love for sweet baby rays - way too runny...
I like a thicker sauce that will tend to stay on my meat

Does anyone use Cattleman's anymore? About 60 years ago they had one flavor, the bottle had a paper sleeve on it. There were only about 5 choices of bottled bbq sauce back then. :LOL:

Last edited:
Im.trying it now.got it from Amazon.
I.like it.it has a generic taste . A base sauce that will let you add items.
Like Burbon,Worcestershire sauce.hot sauce.
Ketchup,mustard, and sugars etc.

Back