My Favorite Commercial BBQ Sauce(s)

Does anyone use Cattleman's anymore? About 60 years ago they had one flavor, the bottle had a paper sleeve on it. There were only about 5 choices of bottled bbq sauce back then. :LOL:
John, I don't remember Cattleman's. Growing up in the 70's and 80's I remember mostly having Open Pit and sometimes Kraft in the house. What else did we have to choose from? Like you said, it probably wasn't much.

John, I don't remember Cattleman's. Growing up in the 70's and 80's I remember mostly having Open Pit and sometimes Kraft in the house. What else did we have to choose from? Like you said, it probably wasn't much.
I think bbq sauces started to become more popular around that time but were big companies like Kraft dominating the market. Cattleman’s had a paper sleeve like Lea and Perrin’s Worcestershire sauce, the paper sleeve is what made it stand out.

I think Cattleman’s started out as a steak house back in the day and they bottled their sauce because of customer demand.

All my stepdad used growing up (through the ‘90’s) was KC Masterpiece.

Come to think, I don’t think I’ve had any since…well about the ‘90’s🤣

603cf76faab4f1f28ff54c7f_Bourbon-Sauce_Hero-830x1120.png
or
OMD2W.png

Friend of mine gave me a bottle of this awhile back - this is my new favorite. (y)

KC Masterpiece Private Stock Reserve
KCBBQSauce.jpeg

Just yesterday I gave the H-E-B store brand Carolina sauce a try. I had a small pork butt in the WSM and didn’t have any pork sauce in the pantry. Very nice mustard/vinegar sauce with a medium consistency. Was exceptional when mixed in with chopped meat for a Sloppy Porky sandwich. Best $2.10 barbecue purchase I’ve ever made.
HEB never disappoints

Stubbs Spicy for ribs.. Prefer no HFCS..
1690582776957.png

Georges for Pulled pork...that Carolina Vinegar is phenomenal...

1690582838592.png

Question for everybody....
Have you looked at what bbq sauces are offered at on-line bbq stores, as opposed to your local grocery store ?

Question for everybody....
Have you looked at what bbq sauces are offered at on-line bbq stores, as opposed to your local grocery store ?
You are right! When you think bbq sauce it's all traditional red, I actually didn't know about yellow or white until I joined this amazing group here.(y) I need to try new things with an open mind.

We've used most of the mainstream sauces, then I stumbled on San Diego Phil's. Tomato based, tangy but not too hot to accomodate my wife. It does well combined with Frank's Red Hot sauce when I want more heat. I use it as a dipping sauce, a binder for smoking, on grilled chicken and in pulled pork. My wife loves it on ribs but I don't sauce mine.
images

Back