My build - the first Welsh Mini-WSM?

Sian

Hello

Having gained all the knowledge to build one of these little blighters here, I thought it only right to post the fruits of my labours.

I got the Smokey Joe secondhand from Gumtree (kinda like Craigslist) for £10 last summer, but it was tricky to find a pot with the correct dimensions in the UK. After months of looking in every cookware shop I came across – and getting some very odd looks as I took to pots with a tape measure! - I finally found what I was looking for in a local hardware store for £12.99.

So…

The raw materials:
f56d2dde-1320-411a-8414-d824e5ebba34_zpsa4df60ed.jpg

The measuring up:
IMG_3525_zps59cd1741.jpg

I had a few thoughts about how I was going to customise my little smoker as I'd seen some great ones on here that folk had made. I'm a big fan of both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Clemson Tigers, so I considered one (or both) their logos. BUT then I figured that this was a Welsh smoker, that was going to live in Wales, and considering I'm a big Welsh rugby fan too, I decided that a Welsh dragon and the Welsh Rugby Union logo (the Prince Of Wales' feathers) would be the way forward. And c'mon, dragons breathe fire so I figured that made it doubly appropriate! ;)

Preparing for paint:
cf4e80ac-d5ec-4222-a6f1-25fbc86d35de_zps57036421.jpg

IMG_0056_zps40e8c05d.jpg

Meet Smokey Bach:
IMG_3983_zpsce77d754.jpg

25e74dca-dd07-4c56-bd75-0f60068e6ab6_zpsbe5846fe.jpg

So there he is. My new pride and joy!

Thanks for looking. And for all the help in building that I gleaned as a lurker on these boards!

Last edited:
Well done !
The dragon looks awesome !

I like the look of the straight-wall pot and heavy wire handles.
They're not easy to find anywhere.
Looks like the supply stream for Sonex cookware ends at the UK.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It's getting a run out today. Just took delivery of a box of sugar maple chunks from the US this morning (I think my postman thinks I'm nuts!), and I've got a couple of hams ready to go...

Hi Sian,
nice work.
Do you know the size/model number of your Sonex pot? Seems Sonex is imported into Oz; might see if I can find some here, thanks.

Hi Stephen
Just had a look at the hi-res of the pic, seems it's a '6' and capacity of 28Litres. Here's the entire label in case there's anything else helpful you can discern from it! Hope that helps, and good luck with your search.

983e929a-951b-44da-ab8f-3db48e8e320a_zpse6bafe8e.png

Thanks so much Sian,
Did our first WSJ mini cook today- seemed to go well. Will advise the newsgroup if I find some here in Oz.( I had to import the pot from the USA)
Our nephew (Rugby player) is in North Wales this year, for his gap year- having a great time. Good to see the fine weather you are having this week.
Many thanks,
Stephen R

Hi Sian,

Where did you buy this pot from? I am in London and have struggled to find one the right size.

Cheers,

Bec

Thanks everyone.

Bec - where in London are you?

I (eventually, after months of looking and measuring!) got the pot from a hardware store on Church St (NW1), just off the Edgware Rd...

Hi Sian,

Great looking build. I am also a Clemson Tiger fan and have been going to games since I could walk. But I have to go with my Dallas Cowboys over the Steelers.:) Also a Liverpool FC fan but pull for Swansea and Cardiff if they are not playing Liverpool. My dog is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi so feel a connection to Wales.

Hi Dave - Apologies for the delay, been offline for a few days. The shop I got my Sonex pot from was a hardware store called One Price just off the Edgware Rd.

https://plus.google.com/107270226996492269153/about?gl=uk&hl=en

I passed it on the way home from work today (I live/work in London, do my smoking back home at my folks' place). Unfortunately it was shut by the time I walked past so I couldn't go in and have a nose for you - BUT they definitely still stock Sonex. Might be worth you giving them a shout… (there's a phone number on that link). If you have any joy, and if it's any help hit me up via PM as I might be able to help get it back for you. I'm back west often, and I'm only just over the bridge from you...

Hi Walter - thank you! Aha. I've been cheering the Tigers since we visited family friends in Clemson in 1990... My first trip to the US and the same one that got me hooked on the Steelers (and American football in general). Afraid I don't understand soccer at all, but appreciate your pro-Welsh vibe! :cool:

Thanks so much Sian,

I'll give them a ring on Tuesday and see if they'll post one. If not, your offer of bringing it back this way is extremely kind. I'm just off junction 9 of the M5 so I'd happily come to you and collect.

I'll ring them first but thanks again.

How good is the fit with the smokey joe?

Cheers

Dave

Well I gave them a ring, very helpful but they no longer stock it. they might be getting a replacement brand in but won't know if it will fit.

Thought I finally had one then!

Well I gave them a ring, very helpful but they no longer stock it. they might be getting a replacement brand in but won't know if it will fit.

Thought I finally had one then!
Maybe Mystery Hardware's distributor knows where you can get one ?

Back