My 96 LP900 Redhead restore

Mike Rd.

Hello all,

I've been frequenting the forum for quite a while and don't post, but I wanted to show y'all my latest project. I picked up a 96 LP900 Redhead on Cl and wen't right to town.

What I did:
  • Completely disassembled
  • Media blasted the firebox and lid end caps (Paid a powder coating business to do this)
  • Replaced the burners, flavorizer bars, igniter
  • Rebuilt the valves
  • Added grill grates (Have these on a couple other grills/smokers and love them)
  • Added casters
  • Quite a bit of woodworking, including a pull out bottom shelf. Big thanks to my older brother for collabing with me on the woodworking part. (All wood is teak)
  • Replaced all hardware with stainless
  • Probably forgetting a couple things

Link to pictures, I can also post them here if the link proves problematic

Last edited:
That's awesome. It's cool how you turned the bottom rack into a pull out shelf. It looks like it is just out of the box.

Pull out shelf is definitely a winner. Great work on the wood as well. I want a media blaster!!!!!!

Top notch restore. Thanks for the post.

Pull out shelf is definitely a winner. Great work on the wood as well. I want a media blaster!!!!!!

Top notch restore. Thanks for the post.

Full disclosure, I paid to have it media blasted. Although, I was extremely close to buying my own setup, but media recovery would be tough and my compressor wouldn't be able to keep up.

What do they charge for something like that? Did you get the end caps done as well??

That is a pearl for sure! Extremely nice work and also creative idea on the shelves.

Nice to have someone else besides me plug GrillGrates. Glad they work well for you; I definitely like them.

Awesome job and I love the idea with the pull out shelf. Is the slider HW made of SS and rated for outdoors? My concern would be the rust. Anyhow now I want to add a pull out shelf on my Platinum C and also on the Skyline I still have to work on.

What do they charge for something like that? Did you get the end caps done as well??

Yep, they did the end caps as well. I paid just over $100 for blasting. I was gonna have the firebox and end caps done in high temp powder coat (Good for 1200F), but I wanted to stick to a realistic budget and the teak wasn't cheap. So I ditched the powder coat idea and painted the firebox and end caps myself, which I'm glad I did because they turned out great.

Last edited:
Awesome job and I love the idea with the pull out shelf. Is the slider HW made of SS and rated for outdoors? My concern would be the rust. Anyhow now I want to add a pull out shelf on my Platinum C and also on the Skyline I still have to work on.

They're just zinc plated steel (The ball bearings themselves are stainless). If they become problematic or rust, I'll likely replace them with these or something similar. The climate here is pretty dry/mild and it'll be under a cover when not being used, so I'll just have to wait and see how they hold up.

They're just zinc plated steel (The ball bearings themselves are stainless). If they become problematic or rust, I'll likely replace them with these or something similar. The climate here is pretty dry/mild and it'll be under a cover when not being used, so I'll just have to wait and see how they hold up.
Thanks for sharing Mike. My grills are always exposed to the elements. And that idea with the slider is just awesome.

Back