More Pizza!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It was just my youngest kiddo (19) and me home for dinner last night, and she requested pizza. Who am I to deny such a request?? I've been working on a new "same day" dough recipe, and I think I nailed it (at least yesterday, time will tell if it's repeatable!) It's just 00 Flour, water, salt, and a (VERY) small amount of yeast. Mix, knead, bulk for three hours, ball, proof another six hours all at room temp. Can provide more details if anyone is interested......

My daughter wanted to do a "different" pizza, so she came up with a white sauce base, bacon, mushrooms and mozzarella. So, I made a mornay sauce with some fresh garlic and parmesan for the base, cooked up the bacon and 'shrooms, and we were off to the races!! This pie was absolutely amazing! A very worthy addition to our regular lineup, for sure, with a bonus that the leftover mornay will go great on some fresh pasta!! :)

1712503164292.jpeg

Pie #2 was also very good, but just kind of "regular" compared to the first. ;) My standard red sauce base, Silva brand Linguica (@Brett-EDH ), mushrooms, thinly sliced jalapeno and mozzarella....

1712503246076.jpeg

Ended up with a very happy (and full) dad & daughter, and she's already researching the next "different" pizza for us to make! :)

Rich

Details please.
You got it, Eric! :)

DOUGH (Makes 2x 285g dough balls, will make 11-13" pizzas depending on how thin you stretch them)
355g "00" Flour (I used Caputo "red bag", as that's what I have right now, but any "00" will work, as will AP if cook temp is lower)
215g Water (warmish.....my water temp is a variable I adjust depending on weather to slow or speed up fermentation)
10g Salt, Kosher
.3g Active Dry Yeast (it's a really small amount, so hard to weigh, this is roughly 1/16 teaspoons.)

Mix water and salt in a mixing bowl, then mix in yeast.
Add flour, and mix until the dough comes together.
Knead until the dough is smooth and gluten is well developed (10-15 minutes by hand, 8-12 minutes in a mixer)
Cover dough to prevent drying, and bulk ferment for 3 hours (depending on your room temp, you may need to adjust this time)
Divide dough in half, and form two very tight balls.
Place balls into LIGHTLY oiled covered containers, proof for six hours at room temp
****At this point the pizzaiolo needs to pay attention to the dough. If moving too fast, you may need to put the dough in the fridge for a bit to slow it down. Conversely, if moving too slowly, you may need to raise the temp with a proofing box, oven with light on, or microwave with large bowl of hot water. If you make a lot of dough, check it as you feel the need. If you are less dough-experienced, I'd check it every hour after the first two.

Open up your pizza skins using whatever method you like/prefer, top, cook and enjoy. Typically 00 flour based pizza doughs are used with high heat (800'ish or more), and short cooking times (2'ish minutes or less.) This is variable depending on which brand flour you are using. If you are cooking at a lower temp, you might consider using 50-100% AP flour in place of the 00 flour in this formula......noting, of course, that I haven't actually tried that out, so could need some tweaks.

HOW I COOKED THE PIZZAS
I use a dedicated pizza oven (after having made a progression through just a stone on the grill, a Kettle Pizza oven, and a GMG Pizza Oven for pellet grills.) I pre-heat my oven and stone to about 775-800 degrees. Stretch out the pizza skin, top with your desired sauce and toppings, move to your launching peel (unless you built the pizza on the peel), and launch. My oven has a rotating stone, so I pretty much just need to observe and pull the pizza when I deem that it's done. Depending on your oven or grill setup, you may need to rotate your pizza once or more for even cooking. The pizzas I cooked yesterday were both done in about 105 seconds.

Let me know if you have questions!

Rich

Last edited:
You got it, Eric! :)

DOUGH (Makes 2x 285g dough balls, will make 11-13" pizzas depending on how thin you stretch them)
355g "00" Flour (I used Caputo "red bag", as that's what I have right now, but any "00" will work, as will AP if cook temp is lower)
215g Water (warmish.....my water temp is a variable I adjust depending on weather to slow or speed up fermentation)
10g Salt, Kosher
.3g Active Dry Yeast (it's a really small amount, so hard to weigh, this is roughly 1/16 teaspoons.)

Mix water and salt in a mixing bowl, then mix in yeast.
Add flour, and mix until the dough comes together.
Knead until the dough is smooth and gluten is well developed (10-15 minutes by hand, 8-12 minutes in a mixer)
Cover dough to prevent drying, and bulk ferment for 3 hours (depending on your room temp, you may need to adjust this time)
Divide dough in half, and form two very tight balls.
Place balls into LIGHTLY oiled covered containers, proof for six hours at room temp
****At this point the pizzaiolo needs to pay attention to the dough. If moving too fast, you may need to put the dough in the fridge for a bit to slow it down. Conversely, if moving too slowly, you may need to raise the temp with a proofing box, oven with light on, or microwave with large bowl of hot water. If you make a lot of dough, check it as you feel the need. If you are less dough-experienced, I'd check it every hour after the first two.

Open up your pizza skins using whatever method you like/prefer, top, cook and enjoy. Typically 00 flour based pizza doughs are used with high heat (800'ish or more), and short cooking times (2'ish minutes or less.) This is variable depending on which brand flour you are using. If you are cooking at a lower temp, you might consider using 50-100% AP flour in place of the 00 flour in this formula......noting, of course, that I haven't actually tried that out, so could need some tweaks.

HOW I COOKED THE PIZZAS
I use a dedicated pizza oven (after having made a progression through just a stone on the grill, a Kettle Pizza oven, and a GMG Pizza Oven for pellet grills.) I pre-heat my oven and stone to about 775-800 degrees. Stretch out the pizza skin, top with your desired sauce and toppings, move to your launching peel (unless you built the pizza on the peel), and launch. My oven has a rotating stone, so I pretty much just need to observe and pull the pizza when I deem that it's done. Depending on your oven or grill setup, you may need to rotate your pizza once or more for even cooking. The pizzas I cooked yesterday were both done in about 105 seconds.

Let me know if you have questions!

Rich
gracias!

It was just my youngest kiddo (19) and me home for dinner last night, and she requested pizza. Who am I to deny such a request?? I've been working on a new "same day" dough recipe, and I think I nailed it (at least yesterday, time will tell if it's repeatable!) It's just 00 Flour, water, salt, and a (VERY) small amount of yeast. Mix, knead, bulk for three hours, ball, proof another six hours all at room temp. Can provide more details if anyone is interested......

My daughter wanted to do a "different" pizza, so she came up with a white sauce base, bacon, mushrooms and mozzarella. So, I made a mornay sauce with some fresh garlic and parmesan for the base, cooked up the bacon and 'shrooms, and we were off to the races!! This pie was absolutely amazing! A very worthy addition to our regular lineup, for sure, with a bonus that the leftover mornay will go great on some fresh pasta!! :)

View attachment 88936

Pie #2 was also very good, but just kind of "regular" compared to the first. ;) My standard red sauce base, Silva brand Linguica (@Brett-EDH ), mushrooms, thinly sliced jalapeno and mozzarella....

View attachment 88937

Ended up with a very happy (and full) dad & daughter, and she's already researching the next "different" pizza for us to make! :)

Rich
Good looking pies Rich!
Would be interested in the dough recipe.

Rich your pizza inspires me.
I really need to get back to doing that once a week or so.
A fresh homemade pie is about as good as it gets.
Good job 👏.

A fresh homemade pie is about as good as it gets.
I couldn't agree more, Andy, and the topping combinations are endless! My neighbor and I are already plotting our next night in the "Pizza Arena" (my outdoor cooking area), where we'll have both our Ooni ovens going, and probably sling out a dozen or more pies for both families.

R

Back