Monday Pork Butt

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
My son and his girlfriend are leaving for Virginia tomorrow morning and requested that before they
left I smoke a pork butt for them. Since I had to work all weekend I was lucky enough to be off today.

8 pound butt was trimmed of most the fat. I removed the fat cap this time. I then injected it with
Butchers Pork BBQ Injection yesterday morning and seasoned it with Plowboys Yardbird Rub.
Put into the refrigerator until this morning.
DSC_0991_zpsd26309b0.jpg

Put on the WSM about 5 minutes after removing it from the refrigerator. Using pecan and cherry
chunks, no water pan, just my clay saucer in the water pan. Shooting for temps between 225 to 250.
DSC_0997_zps512ae8e8.jpg

Wrapped in foil at 162 and then pulled from the smoker at 205. It was wrapped in towels and
put into my ice chest.
DSC_0999_zps1ce287a4.jpg

3 hours later it was pulled.
DSC_1002_zps92921b94.jpg

DSC_1006_zps38a7be1d.jpg

Plated with scalloped potatoes, corn and onion rings. We used Texas Toast this time instead of buns.
The toast was seasoned with garlic spread and Penzeys Brady Street cheese sprinkles.
DSC_1013_zps29dae350.jpg

The brown stuff next to the potatoes is bacon jam. I saw a recipe here and decided to give it a
shot, since it is bacon. :cool: Actually my wife put it all together yesterday while I was working.
It tastes pretty good, but got find what I want to use it on. I think it would be excellent on a
grilled cheese sammie!
DSC_1010_zpsbc6264d4.jpg

Delicious meal and the kids are happy that they have leftovers for their road trip tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

That looks great! I will be trying out the bacon jam recipe.
It is posts like this and many others that keep me trying new recipes.

Thanks for sharing,
Krys

Mike everything is Grade A. I like that jam and will have to try. Sure beats that "healthy" no-taste mess. Thanks for sharing.

I can just imagine how happy your son and his girlfriend were to take home the leftovers! That is one fine looking PP sammich and the sides look just as good!! Great cook, Mike!

Mike - As Rolf said - it just doesn't get any better than that pic of PP. Might have to re-name yours to PPP - Perfect pulled pork!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :)
Chad, they go to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
Thanks for the link on the bacon jam Bob! Will definitely try some of
those suggestions.

Back