Monday pig parts

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Sometimes you just need something to look forward to as a way to get focused on the work week. Pig parts work for me.....this is my latest pancetta. Cured for a week, and has been drying for a week, with a couple of weeks to go. I didn't roll this one, so I'm assuming that it will dry faster than usual (four weeks for the last one.)

31456176702_19d1ded91e_z.jpg

Making pancetta is at least as easy as making bacon, so if you haven't tried it, give it a go! :)

Have a great week, all!

Rich

Got to give that one a try.

The hardest part of making pancetta is finding a good place to let it dry for 2-4 weeks. Other than that, the process is the same as making belly bacon, with some differences in the spices added to the cure. Besides, it's fun to have meat hanging around. :)

R

Steve, pancetta is very similar to bacon, only after it is cured, it is hung to dry for a bit rather than smoked. Recipes for pancetta typically also have more spices in the cure mix for flavoring than you will find in bacon (bay leaf, juniper berries, red pepper flake, etc.) It has a ton of uses as a flavor agent or main ingredient in lots of dishes. This pancetta that I made needs to be cooked before being eaten (like bacon), but can also be made using Cure #2, dried for a longer period, making it safe to consume without further cooking as a semi-dry or dried cured meat.

HTH.

Rich

PS: Pancetta is also traditionally made from pork belly.

Back