Mississippi Chuck roast

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Finally cold enough to do some cold smoking. Cold smoked a Chuck roast with some cherry pellets in the 6” AmazeN Smoker pellet tube in the 14.5 WSM. Was 20f entire time of smoke.
Marinated the smoked roast Henderson’s relish for 8 hours. Then cooked.

Mississippi chick roast and oven roasted veggies. I have to admit I made the roast in my Ogallalla Cream Can. Did sear it in the field #10.

Mississippi pot roast can be done in a Dutch oven but it takes 4-8 hours.

2-4 pound chuck roast
1 packet au jus
1 packet ranch dressing
1 16oz jar sliced pepperoncini (juice and all)
1 onion sliced
1 stick of butter
1 32oz box of beef broth or beef bone broth.

Mix all ingredients in your Dutch oven.

Sear all sides of roast in oiled CI pan. Alternatively you could do this in the Dutch oven. Then add other ingredients.

Place in 200f oven until the roast is fall apart tender.

I used the cream can on the stove top. It works like a low pressure, pressure cooker. So it only takes 2 hours to cook.

Made a simple gravy with the cooking stock.

2C2D566C-9FF9-461C-9181-E77FCF089560.jpeg

Quick sear before going in the Can.

C0E4046F-3D0B-467D-8345-006A333003BC.jpeg

3796641A-522A-44D1-B1BF-A073BDD2BB99.jpeg

Some veggies to roast

1C8ACD90-DC77-4FD6-8790-451158034910.jpeg

ECA0F5A0-0C53-4EDC-A758-E1D95342F7EA.jpeg

BA12EA71-D936-4AD3-B037-631546BE317C.jpeg

25F672D6-4E86-4D55-99A6-88837339801D.jpeg

That looks great, Case! I remember seeing your cream cans before.....intriguing, but I've been told by the management that I'm over my limit for "stuff"..... :) The best thing about the seasons changing....time for all those cold weather recipes! :)

R

That looks great, Case! I remember seeing your cream cans before.....intriguing, but I've been told by the management that I'm over my limit for "stuff"..... :) The best thing about the seasons changing....time for all those cold weather recipes! :)

R
That’s right! I like grilling during the summer but winter comfort food is the King!

Mouth-watering cook, Case! I enjoy your cream can cooks vicariously since there is no room for anymore cooking equipment. The sous-vide stuff is in the entertainment center under the TV, and half the linen closet is taking up with serving platters, baskets and the like.

Mouth-watering cook, Case! I enjoy your cream can cooks vicariously since there is no room for anymore cooking equipment. The sous-vide stuff is in the entertainment center under the TV, and half the linen closet is taking up with serving platters, baskets and the like.
Thank you! You can do this with the Sous vide. Put all the ingredients into the bag with the roast and set for 180. Cook 8-12 hours. Works great and I’ve done it many times Sous vide. Even did a tri tip Mississippi roast Sous vide.

Thank you! You can do this with the Sous vide. Put all the ingredients into the bag with the roast and set for 180. Cook 8-12 hours. Works great and I’ve done it many times Sous vide. Even did a tri tip Mississippi roast Sous vide.
Thanks! I will have to try that.

awesome - tis the season for hunks o' meat in cast iron....
It sure is! I had been looking for a rib roast but none available around here. o_O They had these chuck roasts so I grabbed two. Probably should've grabbed all four as I haven't seen any for months.

It sure is! I had been looking for a rib roast but none available around here. o_O They had these chuck roasts so I grabbed two. Probably should've grabbed all four as I haven't seen any for months.
thats crazy? You can't at least order one at Wholefoods or some place?

thats crazy? You can't at least order one at Wholefoods or some place?
One could do that. I’ve been really limiting my shopping though to once a month and going to the store that I know has everything I need. Whole Foods has been too hit and miss on a lot of items here.
So I’ve been shopping at Safeway. We have three in town. The one by my work is in the upscale side of town and they always have more items than the the other two. Si quit going to it when they changed their opening hours but now they are back to being open early so I can shop before work. The other Safeway closest to my home where I was shopping hasn’t even had any type of beef roasts for well over 6 months. Butcher there told me a while back it’s because people weren’t buying roasts anymore. Crazy!

Back