Men who can't grill?

Almost forgot, Congratulations Robert on 55 years of wedded bliss!
We celebrate 40 years this Sunday.
She deserves sainthood for that feat!

Thank you, Bigbill. My wife has been called St. Marilyn by some of our friends for putting up with me all of these years. I raced motorcycles for ten years and have competed in shooting since 1954 (now, just for pleasure a couple or three times a week). I am a SERIOUS griller and smoker but have just a fraction of the experience of many of you. I sure do like to turn out great food (along with a failure or two:confused:) but when that succulent pork hits my taste buds, OH MY!!

Dale53

Cooked beef fajitas the other day and some of them were ready to be cut so I told my 25 year old SIL to start cutting while I finished up. Went inside and he had cut it all with the grain. :(

Cooked beef fajitas the other day and some of them were ready to be cut so I told my 25 year old SIL to start cutting while I finished up. Went inside and he had cut it all with the grain. :(

He just needs some direction, Dean. We all have to start somewhere!

I grew up with my father cooking exclusively on a gasser. He then got a weber one year and I never saw anything but lighter fluid to start the charcoal. I got my first weber and the salesman handed me a chimney starter and said here you can't get a Weber without buying a chimney starter. Best thing ever for starting charcoal.

Growing up my father only grilled on a gas grill, but he grilled a lot so I learned the basics by watching him. After I got older I starting getting into smoking and grilling with charcoal as a hobby. The old man couldnt offer me much knowledge on the subject as it was unfamiliar territory to him, but he made up for it by buying me my first WSM as a Christmas present and then shortly there after bought me a 18 and a 22 OTS at a yard sale because he didnt know which one I would want. Dad's been gone almost two years now but it still seems like yesterday we were sitting on the back patio drinking beers talking about what I was doing with the grill and why. I've since moved on to a newer Performer but those first OTS' will always be in my collection. My daughter thinks it's weird that people grill without charcoal so I know she's on the right path and I look forward to passing on the little knowledge I have to her.

Growing up,dad never grilled. Not that he didn't cook,grilling and cook outs just weren't his thing.
I joined the army and learned how to cook. When I got out,a buddy asked me to man the grill at a cookout. If I remember correctly,I didn't do very well! And I didn't grill again for many years.
Then I met Pammi Sue! She had a little gas burger burner,and got me grilling again! That one died and we got another. Shortly after moving into our house,she bought a nice shiny SS ECB. I thought I was the man! Until a year and a half later I was trying to find parts to fix the $@&#€%! thing. But by then,I had the WSM. I told her my next as grill was gonna be a Weber. So,that's what I got!
Imagine her surprise when I told her I wanted a charcoal grill! I don't cook on it as much as I should,but the option is there!

I was just reading this thread and didn't realize it was started 2 years ago.

There are some great stories here of grilling and families and dads....

Although I consider myself a man's man and am pretty handy and fix all my own stuff, weld, etc, I had really only used gas grills most of my life. I think the only time I ever used charcoal was on a camping trip or something similar where we were cooking up some hot dogs.

I remember the first time I tried to cook a boston butt over charcoal. We had a 55 gallon drum at the fire station that someone converted to a grill. I piled up a bunch of charcoal, put some lighter fluid on it and let it go. I put the butt on and 6 hours later (at dinner time) couldn't figure out why it wasn't cooked. I had never added charcoal or checked temp of the grill. Needless to say, I had to buy dinner for everyone that night.

Not long after my mom bought me a masterbuilt gas smoker and I used it for years, doing ok bbq. When I got married, my wife (now ex) followed that up with a huge 5 burner plus side burner SS charbroil commercial grill. I thought I was the grill master at that point. I used that for a few years but wanted to do some smoking again. I went to Home depot and bought another cheap gas smoker and struggled with it for a year before I came across this forum.

Well the rest is history and now I consider myself to be a decent bbq'er and smoker. I constantly learn from this site and yesterday I passed on a 22 ots to my sister and taught her about starting charcoal with a chimney starter. She had never heard of one either.

I don't remember this, but she told me about how when we were younger my dad would cook great grill food, especially steaks and my mom would make all the sides and we would sit out on the back porch and eat and swim and eat some more. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7. Simpler times

Anyway, great thread

Last edited:
I've enjoyed this thread but as some of you pointed out, LOTS of men say they grill all the time -- but then you taste what they cooked and it's like shoe leather. There's something about people who don't cook thinking they have to cook the heck out of a piece of meat no matter its size. I think a lot of people say they don't "like" grilled or smoked meat because they've only had dried up or meat literally blackened from too much sugary sauce put on too soon. I laughed at the post that said he watched as people press the daylights (and juice) from a simple hamburger, as we've all seen it. I can't tell you the amount of times we've taken over the grilling at a party or get together when someone grilling was starting to panic.

My mom hosted (Brian and I cooked everything) a huge Thanksgiving dinner about 30 years ago -- we had to rent tables, chairs, linen and set up everything outside in my mom's huge yard under pecan trees. I love smoked turkey (we have it often around here) but always cook a turkey in the oven, too, for the holiday as I want the smell in the house and I want those drippings (I make super gravy). My NY cousins were there and they thought the smoked turkey we had on the table was one I burned and figured I was making another one in the oven. My eldest NY cousin Tommy died many years ago but I only recently found out from his brother that the minute he got back to NY after that holiday meal, he went out and bought a smoker. I was tickled pink to hear that!

When we first started smoking stuff many years ago, most of the people we knew had never even tasted smoked food. If they had, it was a black smoked turkey that came from one of those "cheese stores that sell smoked meat and canned hams" and they hated it. We found people were shocked that smoked food could taste so good. Even though we're in one of the best food cities in the world, N.O. has never been known for its Q so I guess that had something to do with it many years ago.

My father grilled occasionally but since he could actually cook (inside), he didn't overcook stuff and always had a charcoal grill as opposed to gas but he never had a Weber (he died in 1979 at 61). I often wish he was alive for just an afternoon so he could see what Brian and I can whip up on a grill or smoker -- he would be in heaven, as he adored good food and would be gaga over the smoked food and Q we make all the time. He's the reason I loved cooking so much. My mom was a great cook but she rarely ventured from the tried and true Louisiana food (I'm not complaining, mind you, as she let me help her in the kitchen very early in life and I actually started dinner before she got home from work; she was an R.N. and we were latchkey kids and well behaved ones at that). But I wanted to cook things other kids were having for dinner, like lasagna, for instance. My Dad was an voracious reader and I often rode with him downtown at night to the all night bookstore/magazine stand. He'd buy me cooking magazines all the time. So when I expressed a desire to make something like lasagna, he was ecstatic. I'd find my recipe, make the list and he'd shop -- but he went to an Italian grocery to get their housemade Italian sausage, and then he went to another Italian grocery where he could get the fresh grated imported Parmesan, Romano, etc. So even as a young girl, my fledgling efforts were made all the better by the top notch ingredients he'd get me. It was on from there, as he had me making legs of lamb, standing rib roasts, etc. And he'd watch everything I did while I cooked, and couldn't believe I learned so much from reading cooking magazines. (The Internet and forums like this would blow his mind!)

Anyway, loved this thread and hearing all the tales of how you started cooking and how you learned. It's always kind of fun when you ended up teaching yourself, too!

I just found this thread, and thought that it was great. Reading it has me thinking of the things I'd like to pass on to my two beautiful girls and my son. My father was/is not a great cook in general, but even though I bloomed later (in my thirties, when I became a homeowner), I learned most of what I know from watching my mom cook and grill growing up. The owner of the home before us left a Uniflame grill on it's last legs, and I used it until the bottom literally fell out of it. I bought an ECB before we'd lived here a month, and had a WSM before that Christmas! Six months after that, an OTG! Of course, I owe a lot to this forum and others, for guidance and inspiration along the way. I now find myself combining what I've learned here and what I learned as a boy observing his mother cook, to make the best meals that I can for my family. Nothing really gives me greater joy than calling my parents and saying that I'm cooking on the grill, and hearing them reply, "We're on the way!", or hearing my brother, who showed me a lot as well, and my sister ask whenever they see me, "So, what have you cooked?"

Both my parents were excellent cooks, Mom didn't have a lot of use for the grill due to a lifelong handicap but, that is neither here nor there. The fact remains that there are some people who simply have no idea how much heat, time, flavors meals need to be used when cooking. I was lucky, my people cooked, my granddaughter is well on the way to being a far better cook than I. I take great pride in that by the way. She is learning her way around a grill and is sometimes more fearless than her years might lead one to believe.
Contrary to our masculine bravado, grilling (cooking in general) in not fully, nor solely, ingrained on male DNA.

This is a great thread - old, but great. I've had a Weber kettle in my life for as long as I can remember. Growing up in the 70's we had a red Weber kettle that my dad would burn all the food on. It wasn't that he was a bad cook, he would just get to talking and not pay attention the food. My favorite part was watching him light the charcoal. He did the whole build a pyramid, douse with lighter fluid thing. Flames would be 5 feet high coming off the charcoal. As an 8 year old it was like Fourth of July. I never understood why my Grandfather didn't light his that way. He used an old coffee can that he cut the bottom off of and punched a bunch of holes in. He just wadded up news paper, stuck it underneath and lit it. There would be just a little smoke and in a few minutes the coals would be ready. No big flames no nothing...BORING! It wasn't until I was 20 or so when I saw a chimney starter in the store that I realized my grandfather was a genius way ahead of his time. :D

Yep, I remember when my dad heard about the coffee can or juice can newspaper method. I was disappointed to not see the flame looking so dangerous and cool! I felt the same way when I saw the first commercial chimney starter too! My dad used to do all kinds of things that were ahead of their time, most born of necessity and internal quest to make something "smarter". Like the amazing conversion to camper of an old Chevy Greenbriar van, those memories are priceless to me!

My dad couldn't cook. The best decision he ever made was to marry Mom😑 Now, my brother is a good cook. He's creative as heck, and he's been on his own a lot longer, so there's that. He likes to talk, while he drinks, while he grills, which leads to every dish he grills being "Cajun-style", or "blackened" sometimes, if you catch my drift. Also, Dad will use almost a bottle of lighter fluid. He really wanted it soaked in good. I'll give him credit, the man has many talents, but no one is good at everything lol!

I'm 24 years old. My mother and father would pretty much make us help him on all of the cooking, even if my brother or I couldn't reach the grill or the counter top. One day I would be in the kitchen with mom and my brother outside with dad and vies versa.

I have been grilling on my own since I was about 15 years old at the golf course, home and camping (granted it wasn't great but I always thought it tasted awesome, because I knew that I had prepared it myself). Most of my friends are still lost on the grill. I think that I am a good griller now or maybe just nobody complains because they are starving.

I am just now getting into the smoking on my WSM 22 and about every weekend I am cooking for family and friends and I really enjoy it. I have my girlfriends 11 year old cousin out there helping me all the way through(on the short cooks) and he thinks he is a Macho Man.

So yea I do believe that grilling/cooking makes you become "more of a man" when you are younger and even at an older age. I am glad that my dad passed the tradition on down to me.

My father was a Special Agent in the FBI and one of his tours was at the National Academy training new agents. He would have 'student' FBI agents to the house and cook on the Weber 22" Kettle. All the new Agents were enamored with the Kettle so he started selling Webers to the new agents. Our utility room was filled with packaged Webers to the gill for years. Every Sunday he would cook on his grill (chicken wings) were his favorite. When he finally retired his hobby was cooking. Can't remember a time in my life without a trusty Weber Kettle. Before he died, he passed the Weber torch to me and my siblings.

i work in a factory with lots of guys, about 250 shop employees, 95% men.
and being there almost 30 years now, i know the majority of the "old timers".

of all those guys, maybe 175 to 200 of them, i know a handful (about a dozen) do not grill.
IF they own a grill, it's gas and their wife does ALL the cooking INCLUDING grilling.

and i find that very odd.. actually, a shame.
one guy i keep ribbing on, his wife is gonna leave him and he'll die from McDonalds and Chickfila food.

i think i read it here from Hayden McCall, "Any man who doesn't grill can hardly consider himself a man."

My parents divorced when i was young so i never got to spend much time with my dad as we lived several states apart, well i asked to move and live with my dads new family when i was 16 and that is when i first saw a charcoal grill,we were not rich so my dad would salvage roadside grills and we had a few in the backyard all kettles, he made a chimney out a 3 lb coffee can just used a can opener to put notches all around the bottom put in the newspaper and magic happened water pump pliers to pick up and dump. He made burgers, and chicken but he also made whole salmons and flounders using stainless steal screen folded in half he would season and stuff the cavity put the fish in the screen so he could flip it with out it breaking up, remember this was in the late sixties.I never spent anytime learning to cook i just watched and ate it, later after i returned from my time in the service is when i got interested and ask more questions and tried to learn more from him. I would have say he would flip over in his grave to see a performer or the new Summit charcoal grill.
Now i have a Genny, WSM,Performer,and a Jumbo Joe, and i am looking for a 26. I really like grilling nice way to sit outside and relax and smell the goodness.

Back