Men who can't grill?

LOL I told my uncle about this thread and he says to me "Men who can't grill? I've never heard of such a thing. Anyone who can't grill can hardly consider himself a man." LOL

The image of the fireball in the original post had me chuckling! My dad, who IS extremely practical wrt electrical work, plumbing, masonry, basically anything construction-related, could not grill without copious amounts of lighter fluid. I remember Sunday afternoons/evenings when he had his brazier going (we are talking the 60s now) with the high flames. He also did the chicken legs sauced too early (with the brush going into the sauce after touching raw poultry--back in the 60s people didn't die from cross-contamination!) and the burgers pressed into hockey pucks. Then he got the gas company to put a line in for a gas grill, so no more charcoal. Obviously he didn't teach me (a girl) or my siblings to grill! Or, for that matter, to use power tools, etc. And Mom didn't teach me to cook--she hated doing it. Funny, though, now I LOVE to cook and I'm pretty good at it. Same with grilling--it IS possible to learn this on your own! I started grilling back when I was in grad school--I bought some super cheap little table-top grill for about 8 bucks at K-Mart or Target or the like. Started with the lighter fluid. Later on, when I moved to the Midwest, I bought an even cheaper grill ($7.47 at Menard's!), but this time I bought a chimney--an accoutrement I'd read about on the internet. Never looked back! After I moved to Indiana from Iowa, I bought another charcoal grill (one that actually stands up!). I even converted a neighbor from lighter fluid to a chimney. Last year I treated myself to the Weber OTS (in blue) as a reward for reaching a professional goal. And this year's reward was the WSM!

However, my Dad DID teach me to mow the lawn! And trim hedges. And clean gutters. And drink beer with grilled bratwurst
icon_wink.gif

And drink beer with grilled bratwurst
icon_wink.gif
Your post reminded me of the main reason I never learned to grill until recently... I never had any particularly good experiences that would motivate me to learn. Backyard BBQs were mostly bugs and bad food, and I bought a Performer more as a "smoker that I can do other stuff with" than as a grill.

Over the last few years my friends and I have learned enough to make some pretty good food (ABTs were the turning point
icon_biggrin.gif
), and accepted that there is no shame in "cooking outside then running in with the food to escape the bugs" so hopefully the next generation will have something worth learning. No sign of interest yet though.

Sounds like you had some good memories and maybe a few "hey, this is pretty good !" moments - those make all the difference.

Originally posted by Jerry N.:
As I watched my two girls (now young ladies), court and marry a man, I've been very disheartened at their skills for doing manual things like working on a car, a house, or a grill. It's a shame but in my limited sample, fathers don't appear to be teaching their sons how to do man things. Sad.
icon_frown.gif

I constantly joke with my wife that our now 5 year old daughter will have a hard time finding a man that isn't intimidated by her. We live in a coastal NC community. If I have my way and things progress as they appear to be now, she will be able to cook whole hogs, grill/smoke essentially anything you could want to, will be a fine boat captain (ok, maybe not according to the Coast Guard definition), will be a great fisherwoman, etc. She is such a daddy's girl and is doing her best to learn all of these things as much as a 5 year old can. So even if her suitors aren't up for it, daddy will still be able to get a good meal at her house!

I personally like the fact that most people don't know how to do the important things. I feel like the Viking warrior I see painted on 70's vans, my sword being struck by lightning, and the scantily clad princess type at my feet, looking up at me adoringly, with a little bit of BBQ sauce on the corner of her mouth.
icon_wink.gif

The saddest thing about "men who can't grill" is that it is not that hard. You just need to spend some time on this site and pay attention to what you are doing.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Freel:
The saddest thing about "men who can't grill" is that it is not that hard. You just need to spend some time on this site and pay attention to what you are doing.

Mike

That is a fact. And like everything else that isn't hard, that people seemingly refuse to do...it generally boils down to shear and utter laziness. Nothing short. I guess grilling puts a real cramp in one's text messaging routine.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
And like everything else that isn't hard, that people seemingly refuse to do...it generally boils down to shear and utter laziness. Nothing short. I guess grilling puts a real cramp in one's text messaging routine.
I'm not sure I would be that harsh. I enjoy cooking in general and grilling/smoking in particular. I hardly expect everyone to enjoy the same things that I like. (If everyone was as enthusiastic as us about Weber grills, think what that would do to the prices on CL!) OTOH, there are things that are important to others of which I could not care less. Both of my sons have Weber grills and know how to use them, but there are many other things that make me proud of them that are far more important.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
LOL I told my uncle about this thread and he says to me "Men who can't grill? I've never heard of such a thing. Anyone who can't grill can hardly consider himself a man." LOL

I agree. "There ain't no such ani-mule!"

Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
And like everything else that isn't hard, that people seemingly refuse to do...it generally boils down to shear and utter laziness. Nothing short. I guess grilling puts a real cramp in one's text messaging routine.
I'm not sure I would be that harsh. I enjoy cooking in general and grilling/smoking in particular. I hardly expect everyone to enjoy the same things that I like. (If everyone was as enthusiastic as us about Weber grills, think what that would do to the prices on CL!) OTOH, there are things that are important to others of which I could not care less. Both of my sons have Weber grills and know how to use them, but there are many other things that make me proud of them that are far more important. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was overgeneralizing a bit and expanding from grilling to cooking in general. I'm 33. I would say better than 90% of the people I know that are my age, either don't cook at all, or are preparing boxed dinners or going out to eat on a regular basis. They may use their stove, oven, and microwave. But to call what they're doing "cooking" or "grilling", would just be inappropriate. LOL And I'm sure there are plenty of things to be proud of in regards to your sons.
icon_smile.gif
I don't think the inability to grill makes anyone less man. I just think they should be teaching grilling in school instead of sewing. :p

I made a batch of pulled pork and Keri's hog apple baked beans for a family gathering last weekend. My sis in law was in awe and asked me how I got to be so good at making Q. My response was, "well, I read the recipe and followed the instructions". It certainly isn't rocket science but it sure seems that way to some people.

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The saddest thing about "men who can't grill" is that it is not that hard. You just need to spend some time on this site and pay attention to what you are doing.

I made a batch of pulled pork and Keri's hog apple baked beans for a family gathering last weekend. My sis in law was in awe and asked me how I got to be so good at making Q. My response was, "well, I read the recipe and followed the instructions". It certainly isn't rocket science but it sure seems that way to some people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lack of ambition...AND laziness.

My next-door-neighbor just blew my mind. I gave him a chicken a few weeks ago, that I put on the WSM after I cooked my second ever pork butt. At the time I rashly offered to smoke something for him, if he ever wanted to bring over a butt or whatever. Well, he came over to my house this morning and handed me a rack of "Lloyd's" ribs... ALREADY COOKED and sauced in shrink wrapped plastic, from the supermarket. He said they mess up his microwave too much, so could I put them in my smoker. ????

Obviously, I gave the only possible answer: Are you on drugs?

What stunned me most was that he didn't seem to realize that when BBQ happens we start out with raw meat. He told me the only thing he has ever grilled is hotdogs and burgers - and he buys the burgers precooked because his ex-wife said raw meat is dangerous. Hence the Lloyd's ribs, I guess.

I actually feel sorry for the guy - no wonder he keeps telling me how fantastic that chicken of mine was.

Originally posted by Jennifer K:
My next-door-neighbor just blew my mind. I gave him a chicken a few weeks ago, that I put on the WSM after I cooked my second ever pork butt. At the time I rashly offered to smoke something for him, if he ever wanted to bring over a butt or whatever. Well, he came over to my house this morning and handed me a rack of "Lloyd's" ribs... ALREADY COOKED and sauced in shrink wrapped plastic, from the supermarket. He said they mess up his microwave too much, so could I put them in my smoker. ????

Obviously, I gave the only possible answer: Are you on drugs?

What stunned me most was that he didn't seem to realize that when BBQ happens we start out with raw meat. He told me the only thing he has ever grilled is hotdogs and burgers - and he buys the burgers precooked because his ex-wife said raw meat is dangerous. Hence the Lloyd's ribs, I guess.

I actually feel sorry for the guy - no wonder he keeps telling me how fantastic that chicken of mine was.

Well that's just..........sad.

In my opinion, it's a sad commentary that the bulk of society has gotten to the point where the average person can't even cook food for themselves on some form of open fire.

A few years ago when the hurricanes came through this area and many homes were without electricity for a day or two, I heard lots of stories about people losing their minds trying to figure out what they were going to do for food. I can just imagine the scene where somebody would look at the old, rusted, unused grill and wonder if they could possibly cook their entire meal on it. Then deciding it wasn't possible and giving up.

However, that said, it IS a bit daunting to make that leap to getting serious about grilling/smoking. I know that 5 or 6 years ago I was one of those guys who couldn't grill very well at all and knew NOTHING about smoking. It took a conscious effort to learn and stick with it. Unfortunately I think that many people are just too lazy to bother to try.

Russ

Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
In my opinion, it's a sad commentary that the bulk of society has gotten to the point where the average person can't even cook food for themselves on some form of open fire.

A few years ago when the hurricanes came through this area and many homes were without electricity for a day or two, I heard lots of stories about people losing their minds trying to figure out what they were going to do for food. I can just imagine the scene where somebody would look at the old, rusted, unused grill and wonder if they could possibly cook their entire meal on it. Then deciding it wasn't possible and giving up.

However, that said, it IS a bit daunting to make that leap to getting serious about grilling/smoking. I know that 5 or 6 years ago I was one of those guys who couldn't grill very well at all and knew NOTHING about smoking. It took a conscious effort to learn and stick with it. Unfortunately I think that many people are just too lazy to bother to try.

Russ

I don't feel sorry for those folks. To own a device specifically made to cook food, and to not know how to use it, or take the time to find out...sad isn't quite the word I'm looking for. Cooking at a gas grill is like dragging your range out on the back porch. I can understand some bit of a curve when cooking with charcoal, but gas? Let 'em starve. LOL

Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:

Russ

I agree, Russ. Beats me why it's not taught in schools. Kids could have fun learning to grill and BBQ responsibly and safely, and they might end up eating a better diet as adults. Wish I'd discovered BBQ sooner, but I feel very lucky that I've been cooking and baking ever since I could balance on a chair in the kitchen.

Maybe the pace of life makes it too hard for most parents to spend time cooking from scratch anymore, or involving their kids. It's not crazy to see a bigger role for schools - didn't they used to teach cooking and woodwork etc. ?

I'll be honest. I learned all I know about grilling from the internet. I was raised by a single mother and my big sister and I was surrounded by women as a kid. But when I decided to renovate the exterior of my home I knew I wanted a BBQ island and I was adamant that whatever grill I purchased to go in that island HAD TO BE CHARCOAL. Even though at the time I didn't know how to use it, I knew I could learn and I knew once I did learn I would get good at it and be very satisfied with the results. The first time I used the grill, I had some Kingsford Match Light (yeah I know - quit laughin') and a steak. I fired it up and hoped for the best - and it wasn't bad. Then I started doing some research and found the BBQ Pit Boys on YouTube. After that I was off and running. Its been almost 5 years since I got that grill and I have since added an 18.5" WSM and I'm out there grilling or smoking something just about every weekend. And I have since evolved from Match Light to regular Kingsford, and I now use Stubbs or Royal Oak lump as fuel...depending on what I'm cooking. Most of my friends that "grill" have gas grills. To me thats just cooking on an outdoor stove. And I have one friend that has a gas grill and an electric smoker...
icon_eek.gif
His food is good - don't get me wrong. But we all know it takes a certain skill to get burning charcoal to do what you want it to do. Gas and electric cookers take that skill out of the mix and to me thats the best part. Man was meant to cook with fire - I leave all the stove-top cooking to Mrs. Harris.

Originally posted by Jennifer K:

I agree, Russ. Beats me why it's not taught in schools. Kids could have fun learning to grill and BBQ responsibly and safely, and they might end up eating a better diet as adults. Wish I'd discovered BBQ sooner, but I feel very lucky that I've been cooking and baking ever since I could balance on a chair in the kitchen.

Maybe the pace of life makes it too hard for most parents to spend time cooking from scratch anymore, or involving their kids. It's not crazy to see a bigger role for schools - didn't they used to teach cooking and woodwork etc. ?

The pace of life is what you make it. People just don't seem to know how to slow down anymore. I do NOT understand the rush behind everything. It's maddening. Relax. Take a deep breath. Enjoy things. Appreciate things. Chew your food instead of inhaling it. Eat at a table and not in a car. I mean...it's crazy. Life is the same today as what it always was. It's the approach that's different...and how you approach anything is a choice. People just place value on different things today. I look at eating as an event. I look forward to it. Good meals are one of the few things that leave lasting memories, usually because they also involve a nice environment, and good people. You can't have any of those things with a Big Mac, large fry, and super-sized bucket of Coke at the McDonald's because you can't find 60 minutes (roughly 4% of an entire day), to put together a decent meal and decompress for a short while. And like was mentioned before...I think people are a lot more apt to make healthy food decisions when they're making their own meals, because you have to make a conscious effort to put all the junk in your cart, whereas it otherwise just shows up in a wrapper or on your plate without you knowing what went into it.

Originally posted by Russ Harris:
Man was meant to cook with fire - I leave all the stove-top cooking to Mrs. Harris.

Hey now...don't discount the ability to use the indoor gear too. Granted, I like the live fire as much as anyone on this site, and choose to use it 10/10 when weather permits. That being said, I made myself get good at using the range, oven, broiler, etc. so that I could still get a top notch result when grilling wasn't feasible or an overall good option. Besides, the reason more men are cooking today than ever, is because Mrs. Harris generally has a 9-5 too, and she doesn't necessarily want to come home after her own long day and be relegated to kitchen detail. LOL I think men took cooking outdoors so as long as we have to cook, we can do so in the opening of our garage or on the back forty.

Back