Mechanically Tenderized Meat

Daryl S

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been noticing recently more stores with mechanically tenderized beef.
I’m not a fan of this as I have read this can contaminate the meat and therefore it should be cooked to a higher internal temperature.
So much for enjoying a medium rare steak or roast.
Most of the beef at our local Costco and Walmart (not that I buy any beef there) are tenderized.

What is the general consensus on this?

Yes, most of the steaks/roasts are labeled as being mechanically tenderized at the Costco near me as well. It says “blade tenderized”. I don’t buy from there but I’ve seen it first hand while in Costco with a buddy

FE87DB49-9739-43A6-98A2-E85500C045F6.png

Last edited:

I guess my buying cryovac packs for years now has me in the dark on tenderizing at Costco. One more reason I try to buy the least processed meat as possible. Including grinding all my own cuts (beef, pork, lamb, chicken).

Thanks Chris
I wondered if this had been brought up before.
Also wondered if people’s opinion to this has changed over time.

It seems like there is a low risk but it is recommended to cook the meat properly.
I agree with others that I don’t want it done, would prefer to do it myself if needed

Also wondered if people’s opinion to this has changed over time.
Despite the fact that the risk is still there, I haven't heard anyone talking about this subject for a long time. It's not on anyone's radar anymore as far as I can tell.

I don't really sweat this one, but it has reduced my enthusiasm for using the Jacquard. Which I used to love using.

If you are concerned about this, the much bigger risk comes from ground beef. Which is the ultimate mechanically tenderized meat. Way more cases of people getting sick from burgers rather than steaks.

Back