Meat Slicer Recommendation

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
So the wife & I finally tried the Bob Correll "Bacon Made Easy" that I made & sliced in late December. It was the best bacon I ever had! Thanks Bob for taking the time to share the process!

However, my slicing skills left much to be desired. The slices were anything but uniform, and we were trying to figure out how to correct that next time. I remember seeing many folks on this site mentioning that they have meat slicers at home.

To those that have meat slicers at home, and are satisfied, any recommendations for a reasonably priced (I know this is relative), but durable slicer?

Thanks

I bought a few of the ones that go around$100 - $150 and you get what you pay for. I keep looking for a much better one. If you can find a supermarket going out of business or a deli, see if they will sell u theirs.

Tim, a few years ago I bought a no-name Chinese unit for something like $60-70 from one of those clearinghouse websites (might've been Heartland America or something like that) because I didn't want to make a big investment in case I decided I really didn't like or need it. I don't use it very often and so far it's worked fine, so when it dies I'm going to step up and buy a nicer unit. Bill has a good point but a lot of times places that go out of business auction off the equipment and those pro slicers like Hobart bring big $$$. They also take up a lot of space but if I could get one for a couple hundred I'd gladly make a box for it and store it until needed.

New or used? Again, it comes down to how much you want to spend. I think Chef's Choice 615 is a decent one for $100 or so. A used hobart may also be $100. After getting some tips here, do some research on your own about which brands are best for the buck and that you like (and have the room for--hobart's are big fellas) then look on craigslist, kijiji, etc.

Keep in mind, the cheaper you go, the less "heavy duty" it's going to be. You may be disappointed when you try to slice that brisket using a bargain-priced slicer.

Menard's carries the Weston for $80 and it's pretty much if not exactly the same as the Chef's Choice 615. It comes with the straight blade for fine slicing meats. As others have said, if you're only going to be using it occasionally, there's no sense in spending a couple of hundred dollars for one of the bigger, bulky units.

I picked one up last year and figured I'd be returning it the next day but it surprised me.

Go on e-Bay and search 10" or 12" meat slicers. I picked up a new 10" heavy duty deli type slicer for $150 but I got lucky, the norm is about $300. Keep biding and you can get lucky too. Good luck and good smoking.

I got a Chef's Choice for Chirstmas and it has worked well on the tri-tip, turkey breast and rib roast that I tried on it so far.

I got a Cheifs choice 667 about 6-8 years ago it is about a 1/2 hp or so has a blade sharper, dail adjust for thickness you can slice a ham so thin you can almost see through it, it is easy to take apart for cleaning has a blade holder so you do not get cut, it is a very nice unit. here is a link for a newer model with a few more options I guess this more than I paid.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/ch...&source=channel_intelligence_amazon_hayneedle

You may find it cheaper this just to show the basic model of it.

Kevin

Back