Meat loaf

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
You all may remember the other day I posted that a buddy my son and I ground 40 pounds of too round.
I took out two packs and decided to make meat loaf. The two packs was close to three pounds.
I sautéed half of an onion and half of a red pepper. Let that cool down.
Added the sautéed veggies to the meat along with a small can of diced hatch Chile, two eggs, and a couple tablespoons of Guldens mustard.
shaoed it into a laid and into a grill mat covere grate if the 14 WSM.
Ran the WSM at 285 with KBB, one chunk of cherry and one chunk of pecan.
When the loaf hit an IT of 145 I spread a mixture of Portland Ketchup and Beaver Extra Hot Horseradish on. Pulled the loaf when the IT hit 165f.
Didn’t do any sides I wanted a meatloaf sandwich. Which I had and it was Devine! 8A7CC27D-2DAC-4DF2-87CF-951AE578F2C8.jpeg

BB10D0EB-9E96-4767-9D7C-8D7CB986B96A.jpeg

0CAC35F2-D92A-43F5-AA52-B81F32EE5514.jpeg

1A8ECD37-03EB-47D7-AB99-56189C328C4C.jpeg

1CA41274-2593-41FC-8B0E-C776122DD14C.jpeg

5D73B922-F171-4D9A-9FEF-05A332BD76BB.jpeg

7813CDFE-8BDA-4C1D-9004-FE855FA86803.jpeg

That meatloaf looks fantastic Case. Bet it was delicious. I can't find any decent horseradish down here. That extra hot Beaver product is too mild for my taste. None of the box stores have anything decent. Our local fish/meat shop carries on that's OK, I believe it was called Fred's. Trader Joes had the best but they no longer carry it. Just curious, is your grill mat galvanized?

That meatloaf looks fantastic Case. Bet it was delicious. I can't find any decent horseradish down here. That extra hot Beaver product is too mild for my taste. None of the box stores have anything decent. Our local fish/meat shop carries on that's OK, I believe it was called Fred's. Trader Joes had the best but they no longer carry it. Just curious, is your grill mat galvanized?
Beaver is the hottest we can fine. Tulelake used to be what my parents had all the time. Tulelake though is now owned by Beaver.
The mats are metal at all. This is what I have and where I bought mine. You can cut it with scissors. Can be washed in dishwasher. I use them for meatloaf and when I make jerky. I have them cut to fit all my grates.

Good-looking meatloaf, Case!

Cliff, will horseradish grow in your climate? My personal and anecdotal experiences have been that it's the best way to get the really nuclear stuff.

And that's all I'll say about extra hot Beaver.

That is a great looking cook Case! I have never heard of the horseradish/kutchup mix on top of Meat Loaf. Man that has to make it good!

Cliff, will horseradish grow in your climate? My personal and anecdotal experiences have been that it's the best way to get the really nuclear stuff.

When I lived in the Oregon coast we had horseradish growing in a creek that ran though our property. Fresh grated was the best a WoWza Hot!
Occasionally the grocery stores here have it in the produce section and we’ve created our own and canned it.

That is a great looking cook Case! I have never heard of the horseradish/kutchup mix on top of Meat Loaf. Man that has to make it good!
Thank you. Yep the mixture of ketchup and Horseradish we use on all kinds of stuff. It’s great. About a 2:1 ratio it makes a good dip for shrimp too.

Brad,
I was thinking the same thing when I read Cliff's post. My ex girlfriend's dad with his neighbor use to grow and make their own, I have never tasted anything like it, it was so good!!! The only thing that has come close is my grandfather use to get super local stuff when he would get by his loc hunting cabin.

Thank you. Yep the mixture of ketchup and Horseradish we use on all kinds of stuff. It’s great. About a 2:1 ratio it makes a good dip for shrimp too.
Case,
I am with you on that! My late brother use to make it with my grandfather's stash of horseradish, we called it pink sauce because it was like 4 part horseradish 1 part ketchup and we loved it on thick fried fish sandwiches, shrimp, and crab cakes, I miss his pink sauce and I miss him even more!

Last edited:
When you smoke a meatloaf bomb the night before might as well use some of the leftovers for breakfast.

Loco Moco meatloaf style!

8F5C48B2-4FF1-44CA-8BAB-CC285E01574C.jpeg

For those that don’t know Loco Moco is a favorite Hawaiian breakfast fish that consists of rice, hamburger patty, fried egg and brown gravy. Sometimes they sun fired spam or linguine sausage for the hamburger patty. Teriyaki is sometimes subbed for the gravy.

Last edited:
Looks great Case. I've been pulling my meatloaf off at 150 recently and am happy with the results, especially when I reheat it.

Looks great Case. I've been pulling my meatloaf off at 150 recently and am happy with the results, especially when I reheat it.
Yeah I usually pull around 155 and let it creep up during the rest. I had checked the temp and it wasn’t quite ready then I got side tracked and it was at 165. Still turned out nice a moist and let me tell you, the leftovers have been fantastic!

I’ve done a chicken marinade using the cuppa cuppa method.
Cuppa bottled BBQ sauce
Cuppa mustard
Cuppa horseradish
Let it go a few hours or overnight, indirect, then glaze it up over direct!
Quick and simple!

Killer loaf, Case. At first I thought, "wow, that's massive", but had to remind myself it was on a WSM 14. 😇

Beaver is the hottest we can fine. Tulelake used to be what my parents had all the time. Tulelake though is now owned by Beaver.
The mats are metal at all. This is what I have and where I bought mine. You can cut it with scissors. Can be washed in dishwasher. I use them for meatloaf and when I make jerky. I have them cut to fit all my grates.

Great looking meatloaf Case, I'm sure that was really good.
Got a question about the mats. that would be prefect for my jerky. But I'm confused I went to order and it says 18" wide
but nothing about the length, so I'm assuming it's 18 X 18 then the price is per Sq. ft. But the price in the cart just shows the price for one sq. ft.
I'm confused. How did you order yours?

Great looking meatloaf Case, I'm sure that was really good.
Got a question about the mats. that would be prefect for my jerky. But I'm confused I went to order and it says 18" wide
but nothing about the length, so I'm assuming it's 18 X 18 then the price is per Sq. ft. But the price in the cart just shows the price for one sq. ft.
I'm confused. How did you order yours?
Thank you!

hmmm I see what you’re talking about.
When I last ordered mine 5-6 years ago you picked the width you wanted then how many feet long. Seems like the order process is missing a step.

The owner Todd is very helpful shoot them an email he responds quickly and should be able to help you out.

Thank you!

hmmm I see what you’re talking about.
When I last ordered mine 5-6 years ago you picked the width you wanted then how many feet long. Seems like the order process is missing a step.

The owner Todd is very helpful shoot them an email he responds quickly and should be able to help you out.
Thanks Case.

I just came across this post searching for grill mats as my son gave a couple. That meatloaf looks great. About how long did it take to cook? My mother used to grow her own horseradish and it was nuclear. I keep trying but the ones we grow just don't have the same kick.

Back