Meat Grinders

I think both will do fine.
I went for the stainless one as I figured they are expensive anyway ;)
And because it will be difficult to replace at my location.
Check out LEM's website as they may have refurbished ones and/or specials.

Question: do you want it to make sausages? Or just burgers?
If sausages, then buy a stuffer first as that makes a much bigger difference than a grinder

I've got a stuffer. I want the grinder mainly for sausages but I may do burgers as well. I'm leaning towards the all stainless and thinking about ease of repair although I have a knack for keeping even cheap things running forever.

Dustin, I don't have direct experience with either of those, but I know a couple of guys who have the larger of the two that you posted, and they like them very much. LEM typically makes good stuff, and customer service is good, too. If you are interested in another option, I will tell you that I love my Cabela's #12, 3/4 HP Carnivore grinder. I really enjoy the larger diameter of the #12 chute, and this thing will eat a pork butt in no time flat (you'll wonder why you didn't retire the KA from grinder duty sooner!) The only drawbacks to this grinder that I have encountered are the price ($450 MSRP, they do have sales), and it's a bit heavy (I don't use more than 1-2 times a month, though, so this isn't really an issue.)

Rich

I have a LEM #5 grinder. I tend to make ground meat 5 to 10 pounds at a time. The #5 is more than enough for my needs. Mines many years old and has held up well. I also have a LEM 5lid stuffer.

Slightly off topic...
I made my first sausages with a #22 hand grinder (it's a beast) and a stuffer attached. Needed 2 people, 3 would have been better.
We had a lot of fun, but after that, I decided to go electric grinder and (hand) stuffer (both LEM)

Slightly off topic...
I made my first sausages with a #22 hand grinder (it's a beast) and a stuffer attached. Needed 2 people, 3 would have been better.
We had a lot of fun, but after that, I decided to go electric grinder and (hand) stuffer (both LEM)
With the #5 and the stuffer, it is easy to make sausage by yourself.

With the #5 and the stuffer, it is easy to make sausage by yourself.
Amen to that, Mark! Anyone who has tried what Anne references above (even worse with a hand crank) knows this one! :) If I only had a grinder, I would just make bulk sausage. :)

R

I’m in the north bay. If you are close, you are welcome to use it. My kids bring meat by all the time. BTW, my grinder makes good dried breadcrumbs.

I’m in the north bay. If you are close, you are welcome to use it. My kids bring meat by all the time. BTW, my grinder makes good dried breadcrumbs.
If that was directed at me.....thanks for the offer! I'm all set, though, with my Cabela's #12 grinder, and my 100 year old Enterprise cast iron stuffer. :). Thanks again, Mark.

Oh, yes it was. My bad. We have ”shared” the LEM for many years. No need for us all to buy one considering cost and drive time.

Oh, yes it was. My bad. We have ”shared” the LEM for many years. No need for us all to buy one considering cost and drive time.
I love it! I've fired up the grinder for neighbors plenty of times, too.....and they usually get packs of sausages when I'm making it.

Breadcrumbs is a great idea! Large plate?

They've got a pretty good deal on a refurbed #5 one from LEM. At some point they made a newer one and it has .35hp vs .25hp. Does that really matter? The refurb one is a .25. I'm getting 234.30 with shipping vs the mighty bite which is around 229 from Amazon but is a #8 with theoretically more motor but not stainless and presumably less durable. Also, at some point they changed the #8 from .35hp to .5hp. They still seem to sell the slightly lower hp ones at academy. I can find no explanation for any of this.

I've been running a smaller LEM for many years, countless deer have gone through it, and it still runs like a top. Fun fact, actually met "LEM" at the outdoor show in Harrisburg PA many years ago. He and Mrs LEM were very nice and very helpful folks.

I got it unboxed and put together. It's a beast for sure. Puts the Kitchenaid Attachement to shame. I think I'm going to try Chud's Jalapeno popper recipe, but I'm not 100 % sold on that yet.

I got it unboxed and put together. It's a beast for sure. Puts the Kitchenaid Attachement to shame. I think I'm going to try Chud's Jalapeno popper recipe, but I'm not 100 % sold on that yet.
Wait until you run a butt or some beef through it and you see how much faster, and cleaner the cut is! :)

Enjoy, Dustin!

R

Back