McCormick buys Stubb's

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
I know we have some Stubb's fans here. I am not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully nothing changes with the company. I love their sauces, marinades and charcoal. But great for the Stubblefield family. Has to feel good to get that kind of payday for something you created.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...der-in-premium-barbeque-sauces-300103738.html

McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavor, today announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire 100% of the shares of One World Foods, Inc., seller of Stubb's barbeque sauces ("Stubb's"), a privately held company located in Austin, Texas.

• Stubb's is the leading premium barbeque sauce brand in the U.S. In addition to sauces, Stubb's products include marinades, rubs and skillet sauces. Annual sales of the business are projected to be $30 million in 2015 and are expected to grow at a double-digit rate annually for the next several years.
  • Stubb's products complement McCormick's range of grilling items with the addition of authentic, craft barbeque sauces. McCormick plans to drive sales of the Stubb's brand through expanded distribution, increased household penetration and innovative flavors.
  • McCormick has agreed to acquire the business for approximately $100 million in cash.

Acquisitions are an important avenue of growth for McCormick. Stubb's is McCormick's third acquisition agreement announced in 2015.

Sad :( .....

This line - "We look forward to working with the Stubb's employees to drive increased sales and profit for this business," gave me moment of pause. That implies that there will be changes. I would hope the only change is to improve distribution, but that never happens in situations like this. The drive to increase profits often changes the original company drastically.

Stubb's is one of my favorite commercial BBQ sauces. While this news is awesome for the Stubblefields, it is sad for those of us who buy the products. McCormick is not really a bad company, but they are all about the money.

I can see the ingredient changes now:
Cane Sugar will become High Fructose Corn Syrp
Tapioca Dextrin will become Monoglycerides
Brown Sugar will become Dextrose (and artificial flavors)
Non-GMO Corn Starch will become Modified Food Starch

Stubbs is by far my favorite commercial sauce. As long as they don't mess with the recipe I'm fine with it. Hopefully the ingredients don't change.

I use and like Stubbs a lot. I'm going to keep an old bottle to see if the ingredients do change, sure hope they don't.

Stubbs has always made great products, I can't see McCormicks buying them and changing there products to lose long time customers... But i've been wrong more than once.

Funny I swore that Stubbs already uses HFCS in their sauces...stopped buying them, because of that, actually.

Funny I swore that Stubbs already uses HFCS in their sauces...stopped buying them, because of that, actually.

Only corn syrup, not hfcs; per their site. This is their Original version:

Water, Tomato Paste, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Tapioca Dextrin, Salt, Brown Sugar, Spices, non-GMO Corn Starch, Contains less than 0.5% of: Onion, Paprika, Garlic, Chile Powder, Natural Smoke Flavor, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Corn Syrup, Tamarind

And there is a difference between the two. HFCS has to be listed if it's present.

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake - I was thinking of the Sweet Baby Rays...I've gone to Stubbs from SBR, for that reason.

As a Marylander, I'm happy that McCormick is in the position that it is in to acquire all these companies. I don't see them as an evil corporation and I've got a few friends who work for McCormick and are pretty happy with them. They're pretty big on tradition, I would have to assume Stubbs is in good hands.

Stubb's is one of the few commercial sauces I like. Most are too sweet. The original has a good zip.

I did try the hickory bourbon flavor recently. It is a bit sweeter, but still good.

i hope the ownership change does not result in changes to the product.

Back