Mayo as a slather

While almost everybody uses mustard as the base for their slather, Meathead @ Amazing Ribs dot com says he uses mayonnaise as his base "as it has no taste". I know mayo works on fish applied directly to the grill to prevent sticking. Anyone got any experience using mayo as the slather base for ribs etc?

Haven't used Mayo on proteins yet but it works great as a butter replacement for toasting buns and making grilled cheese sammiches. I use plain old yellow mustard on pork and probably always will. It doesn't impart any mustardy flavor, but a bit vinegar is always a plus on pork.

When I lived in Ma and used to catch bluefish, that was the only time I used mayo and lemon on it wrapped in foil. Such an oily fish that it seemed to take it all out and it then wasn't so strong.

While almost everybody uses mustard as the base for their slather, Meathead @ Amazing Ribs dot com says he uses mayonnaise as his base "as it has no taste". I know mayo works on fish applied directly to the grill to prevent sticking. Anyone got any experience using mayo as the slather base for ribs etc?
I've not used it for low and slow cooks, but imo a slather of mayo works so well with many quick-cooked foods.

Its 99.9% oil and egg, with dash of lemon juice and salt.

I would go as far as to say no slather imparts any taste in my experience.

Now, some will say that an oil-based binder is bad.... Because it will seal the pores and prevent meat from absorbing smoke. Whether that has any basis in reality I don't know.

I would listen more to what winning cooks like Myron Mixon, Malcolm Reed, etc, or top bbq restraunt owners have to say. But, btw... There is virtually nothing new, just people repeating the same old things. Some people make a living by doing that, by creating website content and site traffic.

Last edited:
I use mayo on poultry. Just for keeping the bird moist. No need to baste.. I salt and pepper the night before.
Pork ,I use cheap mustard for the same reasons described above.

I've been using yellow mustard (and sometimes dill pickle juice or pickled jalapeno juice) for about 20 years. I'm not sure there is any benefit to using mayo, and it costs a lot more than mustard.

I like It for buns, being that it’s oil based I think a flash fire could happen if used for slather.
If I do slather l‘ve been using either mustard or W-sauce and lately I’ve gotten into using sriracha and am digging that.

If you are concerned with oil being flammable use avocado oil, with a flash point well above bbq pit temps. Also true for olive oil. Heck, they use olive oil on pizza cooked in 900 degree ovens.

I do have oil flare ups when it drips directly on hot coals, and sometimes some substantial ones. But little concern in other cooking environments.

Big fan of Mayo slather on ribs. In my experience, Mayo on ribs acts as tenderizing agent creating a tender, flavorful protein. I’d also suggest keeping a close eye during the cook since the ribs will absorb color faster than normal. If cooking indirectly you’ll not run into grease fire issues. Good luck with the cook and be sure to post pics.

I've used mayo a couple of times. One was on a brisket. I liked it and would use again. In fact, I think, it's a little stickier than mustard, thus, enabling the rub to adhere better. It did not alter the flavor.

Back