Making hot dogs for the 4th. Redemption?

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I decided to make some hot dogs this year for the 4th of July. I did it two years ago and the texure was just terrible.

cwtjSc8.jpg

I used two chuck roasts and added some brisket fat. The last time I used two very lean chuck roasts. This time I had more marbling but I didn't want to take any chances.

sUDVKno.jpg

My spices and my worksheet. This is basically a Chud's BBQ recipe. I added a little more water.

REP6L7M.jpg

After one grind on the #8 LEM Big Bite through the 6mm plate.

XQZ9nFb.jpg

This was after my third grind. I did once on the 6mm and twice on the 3mm. I don't think I froze the meat enough after the first grind because after the 2nd the meat got up to about 44 degrees. This maybe caused some slight smearing. Lesson learned.

YczKECd.jpg

After mixing. I decided to hedge my bets and not try to emulsify this. I've gotta a decent food processor but didn't want to chance it.

v1SM7h0.jpg

Stuffing.

g6UMOpW.jpg

Linked.

bT2rbtW.jpg

I cooked them in my WSM with the signals and billows using minion method (I should have used snake method at this outside temp). The WSM was probably at 130 with no heat. I couldn't keep the temp at 150 like I normally can. It ran at 165, but I didn't want to fight it. They only went about 2 1/2 hours to an internal temp of 145. As you can see there's a little rendered fat at the end. It didn't effect the flavor or texture at all, but it's something to work on.

81smKAY.jpg

Sliced shot.

Final thoughts: I got some things to work on but these were night and day better than my last attempt. The last ones had a very dense texture probably due to lack of fat. I added a little extra water and I tried to do a much better job keeping the meat cold. I need to work on my temp control on the smoker or wait until a cooler day. All in all I'm very happy with the results.

To keep the meat temp down you can try putting the whole head of the meat grinder in the freezer for a few hours proir to grinding or try tying a flexible freezer pack to the head of the grinder , if you haven't already done so . But finished product looks great 👍Oscar Mayer 🌭look out !

Last edited:
Impressive, that is a lot of equipment and work for you to make your own hotdogs.......
I just simply tried to do my best and found a local made dog that they didn't put any crap into them....
We still only eat them a couple times per year, but yours do look a lot better.

Those look great. Out of curiosity, what’s the weight of each link?

I hope your guests appreciate all the work you put into those. That’s no small feat.

I'll have to weigh one tomorrow. I just made a mark on the sheet tray and made them all that length. They are definitely much larger than a standard hotdog but pretty close to the jumbo size ones I suspect. Maybe a little longer. I tried some after I cooked them and they were about an inch out on each side on a standard bun. The natural smoke, all beef and juiciness really stand out. Does it blow way a high quality dog? No, but it's right there. Natural casings might push them over the top. I've done sheep casings with snack sticks so next time I may go that route.

Last edited:
Dustin, I don't think what you're making can accurately be called "hot dogs". You appear to be using far too much identifiable meat. ;)

Back