Made some bread

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
I picked up a copy of Ken Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast" and baked the easiest recipe in the book: Saturday White Bread.

My wife is normally the baker...I'm not very good at baking anything except No Knead bread, which is fairly similar in taste and texture.

Enjoyed making this one. I really don't eat much bread, but my wife and son liked it.

5 hour rise. Tripled in volume.
20230902_172800.jpg

Indoor cook in the DO.
20230902_195220.jpg

Twenty minute rest...
20230902_195454.jpg

Decent crumb.
20230903_075623.jpg

Not a very exciting cook, but it's been on my to-do list for a while. Happy Labor Day, everyone!

Looks great. I have that book as well and it definitely elevated my bread making. I like that Saturday white bread with about 10% whole wheat flour for a little something extra.

Last edited:
Looks great. I have that book at well and it definitely elevated my bread making. I like that Saturday white bread with about 10% whole wheat flour for a little something extra.
Thanks, Jim. I almost did that. Will try it again.

I picked up a copy of Ken Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast" and baked the easiest recipe in the book: Saturday White Bread.

My wife is normally the baker...I'm not very good at baking anything except No Knead bread, which is fairly similar in taste and texture.

Enjoyed making this one. I really don't eat much bread, but my wife and son liked it.

5 hour rise. Tripled in volume.
View attachment 78214

Indoor cook in the DO.
View attachment 78215

Twenty minute rest...
View attachment 78216

Decent crumb.
View attachment 78217

Not a very exciting cook, but it's been on my to-do list for a while. Happy Labor Day, everyone!
Great book! I learned a few new tricks reading it.

Thanks for the recommendation on the book. My wife and I (mostly her so far) have gotten into bread baking a lot more this past year, and we are always looking for go-to books and/or recipes.

We have "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" and she really likes that one. "Flour Water Salt Yeast" looks like a really solid recommendation as well.

Does anyone have both books? Does one book do a better job than the other on certain things?

Nice looking loaf Tim. I also have that book but haven't used it in a while. Like Jim said I mix a little whole wheat or even rye just to change it up a little.
My biggest problem is my yeast buddies don't like the high altitude here so getting deeper into the book is a challenge.

Nice looking loaf Tim. I also have that book but haven't used it in a while. Like Jim said I mix a little whole wheat or even rye just to change it up a little.
My biggest problem is my yeast buddies don't like the high altitude here so getting deeper into the book is a challenge.
Thanks, Rich. That's gotta be tough at that altitude.

Looks great. I have that book as well and it definitely elevated my bread making. I like that Saturday white bread with about 10% whole wheat flour for a little something extra.
Yeah, I'm sold. I've done it like that a couple times now...big improvement, imo. Thanks for the tip.

We have a bread making machine that I have been thinking of using again. Is that allowed or is that cheating? :unsure:

Back